Has anyone done the IAM course?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone done the IAM course?
Hello all Smile

Just been thinking of how to tackle my insurance problem next year after the claim against me :/ remembered the advanced driving courses and the IAM one seems to be favoured over the Pass Plus?

Done some quotes and the IAM saves me a fair bit, paying for itself as it costs about £150 I think?

Just wondered if anyones done it and what it is that you actually do? Is it another driving test?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
IAM drivers are predominantly old lady gardens, the sort that are always right, even when they are wrong.

Get some quotes first and see how much it will drop your premium by before you spend out on the course. Some insurance companies wont give any discount
Thanks given by:
Would genuinely like to do it - just in a way to improve my driving - at least make me think more...

It's the old twats in Skoda Yetis with IAM badges screwed to the front grill that says they passed 25 years ago, doing 28mph everywhere and being generally more dangerous than any other driver on the road that gets me...

I don't agree with a lot of stuff in the manual, but some of the stuff is genuinely good habits to keep, I like to think I have kept in good habits... It's just to confirm to myself I can drive if you know what I mean?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 08:33 PM)Ruan Wrote: Would genuinely like to do it - just in a way to improve my driving - at least make me think more...

It's the old twats in Skoda Yetis with IAM badges screwed to the front grill that says they passed 25 years ago, doing 28mph everywhere and being generally more dangerous than any other driver on the road that gets me...

I don't agree with a lot of stuff in the manual, but some of the stuff is genuinely good habits to keep, I like to think I have kept in good habits... It's just to confirm to myself I can drive if you know what I mean?

Plus cheaper insurance mate Wink
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
I am an IAM cat
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Fml, knew that was coming...

And yeah, cheaper insurance is a bonus, but doubt it'd make that much of a difference... Every man in a Volvo is in the IAM, it's almost like the IAM discount is applied automatically, along with the Trilby discount and Beaded Seat Cover discount...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
IAM is a rubbish way to improve drivers on the road LONG term but a good idea to brush up and reduce your insurance. This is due to its one test, qualified forever policy.
Rospa does a regular check/test to ensure you stay tip top and coppers are often involved in the instruction which is ace fun
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I did Pass Plus when i was 17, was about £120 but saved me around £600 on my first car so was worth while doing. Don't think it saves me anything now, being older.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
All passplus does is help your first year.

basically the insurance company applies a 1years driving experience discount if you have done Passplus within 6months of passing your test
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
As I have stated before, I am an IAM Advanced Driver and will happily advise other members on how they can improve their skills to the correct and appropriate standard. First piece of advice is if you do it for cheaper insurance then it will be a waste of money. The only time you will get an insurance discount is with their insurer, Sureity who only insure people over 25. No other insurance company will give you a discount for passing an IAM test.

On the other hand, if you are doing it for the benefit of your driving then you will find it very helpful. Most of the stuff is common sense, a lot of "their" way of doing things is too rigid though in my opinion, like "the system of car control" for instance. Whilst the principle is good, following it to the letter feels counter-intuitive.

Although most of the stuff is already common sense, what the training and course will do is get you into the habit of doing that stuff and you will have someone to remind you all the time.

Also give the ROSPA course a go, which some say is better than the IAM. The IAM course is a pass or fail, whereas the ROSPA course is graded as Broze/Silver/Gold.

I wanted to do the ROSPA course but in a heavily modified old car it is really hard to see how I will do that, back when I took the IAM course my car was standard bar lowering and half leather seats! When you need to start your car with throttle and it idles at 1100 RPM it doesn't give the best impressions!
Thanks given by:
^^^^is there an echo in here??!

anyway, lots of insurers DO give a discount for a IAM pass, you just need to ring and ask.

ROSPA is much better, for sure.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The reason I'm considering it is solely to reduce my premiums next year. The way they'll see it is an 18 year old lad causing an accident in his stereotypical young lads car, a 306. Confused

While there may be things I learn from the course that may make me a better driver, I don't expect to get 25+ years of driving experience condensed into a short course that will bypass the fact that I've only been driving for about 15 months (9 provisional, 6 with a full license).

It's just really ironic that I've never had anything close to an accident whilst driving on the road, even when I used to give it a bit more gun than I do now. May have been luck, but I'd never drive dangerously or in traffic, there's a time and a place. Then I go and have an accident outside my mates house on a road that nobody ever seems to use Dodgy

It's something I'll have to look into more, with quotes always changing (usually increasing) it may either become a necessity or a waste of money. My renewals not till July next year anyway aha!
Thanks given by:
I did it right after passing.
I found it really useful and was a good learning experience, taught me many things I still use now
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 08:59 PM)Stephen Wrote: I did it right after passing.
I found it really useful and was a good learning experience, taught me many things I still use now

I think you're referring to pass plus.

Institute of Advanced Motorists is a lot more.
Thanks given by:
No I am not. certain IAM as it was sponsored by my local fire service at the time
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 08:49 PM)Piggy Wrote: ^^^^is there an echo in here??!

anyway, lots of insurers DO give a discount for a IAM pass, you just need to ring and ask.

Always trying to start arguments lil piglet! As a matter of fact I had started my post before you. Now, back to the topic at hand...

(14-08-2013, 08:53 PM)rtha6551 Wrote: The reason I'm considering it is solely to reduce my premiums next year. The way they'll see it is an 18 year old lad causing an accident in his stereotypical young lads car, a 306. Confused

While there may be things I learn from the course that may make me a better driver, I don't expect to get 25+ years of driving experience condensed into a short course that will bypass the fact that I've only been driving for about 15 months (9 provisional, 6 with a full license).

It's just really ironic that I've never had anything close to an accident whilst driving on the road, even when I used to give it a bit more gun than I do now. May have been luck, but I'd never drive dangerously or in traffic, there's a time and a place. Then I go and have an accident outside my mates house on a road that nobody ever seems to use Dodgy

It's something I'll have to look into more, with quotes always changing (usually increasing) it may either become a necessity or a waste of money. My renewals not till July next year anyway aha!

Then you have the wrong attitude and you are going to waste your money. Are 18 year olds really this naive these days? And since when the hell is a 306 the stereotypical young lad's car? Haven't you heard of corsas, saxos, clios, etc?
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 09:13 PM)306Puggy Wrote:
(14-08-2013, 08:49 PM)Piggy Wrote: ^^^^is there an echo in here??!

Always trying to start arguments lil piglet! As a matter of fact I had started my post before you. Now, back to the topic at hand...

(14-08-2013, 08:53 PM)rtha6551 Wrote: The reason I'm considering it is solely to reduce my premiums next year. The way they'll see it is an 18 year old lad causing an accident in his stereotypical young lads car, a 306. Confused

Then you have the wrong attitude and you are going to waste your money. Are 18 year olds really this naive these days? And since when the hell is a 306 the stereotypical young lad's car? Haven't you heard of corsas, saxos, clios, etc?

Yeah obviously. Do one mate, making new usernames because you got banned isn't what anyone wants or needs.

Years ago and even now you see tons of lads in 306s. That can't be disputed. Young people drive them. They're cheap and economical but can be tuned to put out decent power easily.

And obviously I've heard of those, insurance is generally higher for those as well. Considering its a nation of 60 million I'd be a bit shocked if EVERY SINGLE PERSON drove a 306.
Thanks given by:
Its because trolls drive 306s..
Thanks given by:
Only awesome people and gingers are allowed 306s - FACT!
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 09:42 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Only awesome people and gingers are allowed 306s - FACT!

Explain C.A.R?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Probably a secret ginger, certainly not awesome. 24ct lady garden
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 08:48 PM)306Puggy Wrote: First piece of advice is if you do it for cheaper insurance then it will be a waste of money. The only time you will get an insurance discount is with their insurer, Sureity who only insure people over 25. No other insurance company will give you a discount for passing an IAM test.

Flynn please don't post unless you are posting facts!

I can assure you that the above post is incorrect, working day in day out within the industry I can confirm that completing an IAM Course will qualify for discount on your policy. In fact at Flux we have a scheme designed JUST for advanced drivers.

The courses I would advise to consider are IAM, ROSPA and BTEC Level II Advance Driving.

Hope this helps

Jordan
Thanks given by:
They do a BTEC in driving?
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 10:00 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: They do a BTEC in driving?

They do a doctorate in it. I have one. I'm a doctor of driving. You need a fair bit of handbrake turn ability and fucktons of science.
Thanks given by:
I can fucktonne of science.

Handbrake turns are a bit lacking, I do own a 306 after all.
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 10:00 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: They do a BTEC in driving?

http://www.tsm-drivingschool.co.uk/#!btec-level-2/c11ms
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 10:04 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I can fucktonne of science.

Handbrake turns are a bit lacking, I do own a 306 after all.

I think 306 handbrakes are fine. Mine functions perfectly well in the vertical position lol
Thanks given by:
to the OP,

if you want some independent and non-bull advice, send me a PM. Im a fully qualified advanced driver and driving instructor,both for bike and car. Dont like branding that about but with crap and opinions being thrown about here as fact on a very serious matter, I think its needed.

gimme a buzz
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
How can you be a driving instructor, your only 25. Next you'll be reeling off stories about "the war" Rolleyes

(14-08-2013, 09:58 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(14-08-2013, 08:48 PM)306Puggy Wrote: First piece of advice is if you do it for cheaper insurance then it will be a waste of money. The only time you will get an insurance discount is with their insurer, Sureity who only insure people over 25. No other insurance company will give you a discount for passing an IAM test.

Flynn please don't post unless you are posting facts!

I can assure you that the above post is incorrect, working day in day out within the industry I can confirm that completing an IAM Course will qualify for discount on your policy. In fact at Flux we have a scheme designed JUST for advanced drivers.

The courses I would advise to consider are IAM, ROSPA and BTEC Level II Advance Driving.

Hope this helps

Jordan

I tried Adrian Flux and was not given this option. I am willing to bet that the discounts are not significant. Probably just £25 pounds or so.
Thanks given by:
No, stop willing to bet when you actually wouldn't in real life and you don't have the right information to bet on.

discounts are good if you get the right insurer.

And I gave up instructing about 18mths ago, couldnt stand the young sprats. plus stress...too much stress...oh and that cleaning windows makes more money irronically
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: