How long does it usually take?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long does it usually take?
For an insurance claim to be settled, on average?

Had quite a small bump in the car yesterday, my fault as I pulled out of a driveway and clearly didn't look well enough as a Merc E class hit my passenger side wing at about 10mph. Was a dead end private road so not on a main road etc.

Damage to mine is relatively small, just a crunched wing and scuffed bumper but I don't think that there would be anything underlying? Left the car at the friends it happened outside so not really driven it since, but should I be checking for frame damage?

Unfortunately hers was quite a bit more. Cracked bumper trim, broken foglight, twisted wing and a damaged headlight unit. And its a 2005 E class so theres no chance of paying privately for it, especially as they want to take it to a merc dealership/bodyshop which is fair enough they have a nice car and want to keep it that way.

Notified my insurance, waiting for the call back from their claims team. I have the other party's name, reg, insurance company and policy number and they have mine.

Do I stand a chance of my insurance paying out? Only for the other car, the damage on mine that I can see is repairable for under £50 but hers on the other hand is quite a lot :/ And roughly how long do claims take to go through?

For what its worth they were actually very good about it and obviously just want to get it over and done with and I've done my best to be co-operative and make as much effort as I can.

As for next years insurance thats a bridge I'll cross when I get to it, but you live and learn Smile
Thanks given by:
Youve admitted liability. After a couple of forms filled out etc thats pretty much it from your end. Probably with in a month or so it may be settled. Do not under any circumstances talk to any one other than your insurance Company. As some 3rd partys try to contact you wanting information, say nothing and refer them to your insurance comapny.

The one thing you can never be certain of is the person who you had the bump with yeah they me be all ok about but once insurance and solicitors get involved some people just see pound signs and before you know it you were apparently doing 100mph and driving like an idiot!

What level of cover do you have?
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 02:16 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote: Youve admitted liability. After a couple of forms filled out etc thats pretty much it from your end. Probably with in a month or so it may be settled. Do not under any circumstances talk to any one other than your insurance Company. As some 3rd partys try to contact you wanting information, say nothing and refer them to your insurance comapny.

The one thing you can never be certain of is the person who you had the bump with yeah they me be all ok about but once insurance and solicitors get involved some people just see pound signs and before you know it you were apparently doing 100mph and driving like an idiot!

What level of cover do you have?

I have fully comprehensive insurance

I get what you mean about people seeing the £ signs :/ what could they accuse me of doing that makes it look like I was being irresponsible? I only pulled out into her path but I didn't set off like a moron :/
Thanks given by:
If your fully comp get yours in for repair too, won't cost any extra as you'll have to pay the excess.
If they write it off (with any luck they will) you can normally buy back for 20% of there valuation and use the extra cash to fix it yourself.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 03:45 PM)Chris Wrote: If your fully comp get yours in for repair too, won't cost any extra as you'll have to pay the excess.
If they write it off (with any luck they will) you can normally buy back for 20% of there valuation and use the extra cash to fix it yourself.

Didnt know this, sounds good Smile thanks
Thanks given by:
Being fully comp make your insurance company fully aware that you are going to repair the vehicle yourself. Most companies have a policy where if the vehicle is of a certain age and description of damage done they will write it off with out even looking at it.

Unless you have an independent witness its a case of your word against there's and then its down to insurance to argue it out. But hopefully it should be an easy enough process. all the best though matey insurance is a pain in the back side!
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 03:48 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote: Being fully comp make your insurance company fully aware that you are going to repair the vehicle yourself. Most companies have a policy where if the vehicle is of a certain age and description of damage done they will write it off with out even looking at it.

Unless you have an independent witness its a case of your word against there's and then its down to insurance to argue it out. But hopefully it should be an easy enough process. all the best though matey insurance is a pain in the back side!

One of the witnesses was an off duty police officer who was giving me a fair bit of stick so I don't have anyone who could say anything against what she says :/ hopefully she will be honest

It does seem relatively straight forward, I pulled out into her path and there was a small collision

Just hope no complications arise!

Thanks
Thanks given by:
One of mine took nearly 20 months to resolve because the other party tried it on with a spurious claim. Confused Don't hold your breath, as others have said: you've done your bit so sit tight and don't talk to any third parties.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Mine was completely my fault, in August 2011.

It's only just been completed.
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2013, 01:36 PM)Norledge Wrote: Mine was completely my fault, in August 2011.

It's only just been completed.

+1 it all depends on the insurer's really some are more arsey than others
Thanks given by: