opinions on megasquirt ms2 v3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
opinions on megasquirt ms2 v3
Been looking at the cheaper forms of standalone management and the features of this seem pretty awesome, the software doesn't look TOO difficult to work with.. especially in the comparison to Hdi maps I've looked at..

So, have many people used them? Any experience of them would be appreciated

Cheers guys
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
My opinion on it?
It quirts mega amounts
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Why do you want this Danny? Not a lot of point on a standard 6?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
thanks for that useful post phil..

Mebbe it wouldn't stay standard.. ninja
Thanks given by:
Buy it try it report back?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
They are awsome

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Ok, so the information I have on it is far from exhaustive, but basically not a huge amount of people map them at the moment. They are great because they're cheap and control exactly what you need, but the comparative lack of people to map them can be a little offputting.

I hate to say this because I always end up saying it, but ask Ruan, he knows a fair bit about them...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
They are cheap and you only get what you pay for! As Ewar said, only a few companies map them but there have been reported failures of entire ECUs in the past.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I know not a massive amount of people map them.. if i was getting one then it'd be for a project i've got an idea for, I'd probably end up doing the mapping myself..

Essentially though, megasquirt, lc-1 wide band lambda, eaton m45, probably some 320cc injectors (stock are 250cc IIRC?) and probably a decomp plate

That SHOULD in theory be a fairly cheap setup that should still make over 210hp fairly easily.. Moar research needed though!
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2013, 01:38 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: I know not a massive amount of people map them.. if i was getting one then it'd be for a project i've got an idea for, I'd probably end up doing the mapping myself..

Essentially though, megasquirt, lc-1 wide band lambda, eaton m45, probably some 320cc injectors (stock are 250cc IIRC?) and probably a decomp plate

That SHOULD in theory be a fairly cheap setup that should still make over 210hp fairly easily.. Moar research needed though!

I admire your originality Danny - genuinely.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Unsure if troll or not.. ¬_¬

either way it'll be a totally homebrew project!
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2013, 01:47 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Unsure if troll or not.. ¬_¬

either way it'll be a totally homebrew project!

No troll. Serious.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Have to see how well it goes against the '14 when it's done.. if you still have it or haven't put it into the side of the gorge by then Tongue
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2013, 02:03 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Have to see how well it goes against the '14 when it's done.. if you still have it or haven't put it into the side of the gorge by then Tongue

Meh, fuel costs are raping me atm. Genuinely missing the 205 as far as running costs go.

To be fair XUD's in general are just epic motors, average MPG, cheap to repair, bodge, upgrade, modify, run, hoon, boost etc.

You don't appreciate it so much until you've gone petrol turbo... Undecided
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Have you actually worked out roughly what the '14 is doing on fuel?

That's exactly why people buy XUD's though, cheap power with relative reliability and economy!
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2013, 02:09 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Have you actually worked out roughly what the '14 is doing on fuel?

That's exactly why people buy XUD's though, cheap power with relative reliability and economy!

I'd be surprised if its doing over 10MPG. I daren't fill the beast up and do the proper brim test as that would cost near £200....
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Damn.. i guess you're not really doing much MW with it though and more sideways driving haha
Thanks given by:
I'll be running it on the Golf.

As a homebrew, diy kit you can't go wrong. It'll do the same if not more than most aftermarket ECU's, and is easily upgradeable. I.E. you buy a basic Omex then decided you want to run launch control you have to buy a new ECU at £600, with megasquirt you add a few components for a few quid and away you go!
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge for prime minister.
Poodle Wrote:I reckon Norledge has got it on the head mind.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge gets my vote tbh.
Thanks given by:
Nice! I've seen a fair few people posting on the net using them with 20VT lumps with pretty good success, I can't see why a charged '6 lump would be a massive amount different.. Are you going to be doing the mapping or taking it to someone for them to map it for you?

As you say, i love the fact of how customisable the kits are.. the features seem pretty epic out of the box..

I've heard that VEMS is basically megasquirt rebadged and about 50% more expensive? Any truth to this does anyone know?
Thanks given by:
Remember Megasquirt isn't a product, it's an opensource design for an ECU.

You can get anything, ranging from a plan for the basic PCB up to a fully built ECU, maybe VEMS is one!?
Thanks given by:
The kits i've been looking at were about £295 +VAT and that's building it yourself, not bad when just an OMEX 600 by itself is over £500 plus loom connector
Thanks given by:
The best part is any used megasquirt, no matter how old can be specced up to the latest.

And no matter what engine, with what mods, someone, somewhere has ran something similar on it, meaning there's a base map within easy reach.
Thanks given by:
I have an eaton m62 and bracket I made to mount on a gti6 lump if you are after one? I toyed with the same idea a you but fobbed it off when I saw it had been done a few times, the results were pretty poor and the complexity involved to do it properly (bypass valves etc etc).

Let me know.

JP

P.S, use the stock ecu and save the money on megasquirt, it can do everything you need .....
JP
Thanks given by:
They're very popular in the MX-5 world. Myself and Fozzy both have MS2, although he's much closer to actually using it lol
Thanks given by:
Hmm.. interesting, pm incoming JP..

You say poor results, but you will probably have seen the Miami 205 gti6 that was charged screaming up the hill at pugfest? That was a very similar setup and he did it all in for 1600 iirc, he used omex though I believe.. and although using standard management will work.. it's always going to be a bit of a bodge because it can't deal with boost! Plus a ms2 v3 is 295 if you build it yourself.. mapping the stock ecu would probably be between 450-500 for mapping and I bet ms would be a lot cheaper even if I got someone else to map it or atleast help me map it..

Yeah curt, ive seen loads of bits for mega squirt for the mx5's! There seems to be a tonne of info for it compared to putting one on a 6.. I did even find myself looking at mx5's the other day.. but I think they're too expensive for what they are!
Thanks given by:
Depends really, mine was £300 lol
Thanks given by:
Well that was lucky! Haha.. they do seem to hold there price fairly well though for a good one that isn't rotten..
Thanks given by:
Yeah, pretty much. It was only in Portsmouth, Taxed and MOT'd and advertised for £650! That's the thing really, you can get cheap ones but finding a rust free one is tricky. They're the ones that fetch good money! If you are interested though, have a drive if you haven't before...
Thanks given by:
I've got an MS1 with the Extra firmware on it sat here, plus a stimulator for output testing, been meaning to use it on mine but it's been in a drawer for about 4 years.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Get it done rip! Have you still got that rotary to put in it too? Tongue
Thanks given by: