Potential problems with more power?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential problems with more power?
Brick 
Keen to up the power of my d-turbo by increasing the boost and tuning the fuel pump. The only problem is this is my "reliable" everyday car and its done just over 100k! Am I likely to dramatically reduce its lifetime by modifying it in this way?

Anyone in the surrey area got a tuned d-turbo so that I could see what the real world gains are like?
Thanks given by:
Your in dorking, drive down the road into rusper on the weekend I will be there.

A simple stage one tune won't hurt it.
Thanks given by:
There's a few of us on Epsom so nice and close to you. We all own petrols though....sorry :p
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I'll be down again in September, I don't have a 306,but it's about as reliable as tuned xud
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Serious answer: you'll be fine with a stage 1, anything up to about 120bhp and I really don't think it'll make a difference. You may lose a few thousand miles off the life of the engine but are you that fussed?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I think you will be ok at 120. Remember they are detuned as standard.
Thanks given by:
been running 134hp for a couple of years now and no probs . . . .so gonna up things again now . .lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Then you will have issues lol what turbo?
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2013, 09:42 AM)Pompey306mark Wrote: Then you will have issues lol what turbo?

narr going TD04 now, not much more to be had out the old K14 . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
That is true.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, I thought a stage 1 should be ok, but wanted to make sure Smile first diesel so unsure of what to expect! Now I just need to figure out which pump and turbo I have Tongue
Thanks given by:
Yours will be Lucas unless its been changed.

Does it look like the silver thing on the left of the bay.

[Image: Picture030.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is that the Bosh? If so I have the Lucas Sad
Thanks given by:
yeah that's a Bosch... not normally that clean but you get the idea Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Yep mine looks nothing like that, must be the Lucas, yay diesel everywhere for me then Tongue
Thanks given by:
flap a bosch on it...better in all respects...current and future
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hardly mate, fuelling and boost is only stage 1... I've heard from a few people on here that they were apparently de-tuned new as they were out running XSi's... Dunno if it's true, however, don't worry mate, it'll be fine
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
the diesel turbo was indeed down on power as per initial ideas...
consider the non turbo being 70bhp...yet with a turbo, intercooler etc it only managed 90/92bhp...
there was meant to be more...

but as said, it was a lot cheaper to buy a diesel turbo than xsi or gti so they had to reduce it down
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-07-2013, 01:09 PM)Piggy Wrote: the diesel turbo was indeed down on power as per initial ideas...
consider the non turbo being 70bhp...yet with a turbo, intercooler etc it only managed 90/92bhp...
there was meant to be more...

but as said, it was a lot cheaper to buy a diesel turbo than xsi or gti so they had to reduce it down

It does sound very likely, and it wouldn't surprise me... Turbo diesels were just catching on at time when the first d turbo's came out as well
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
I will have a Bosch pump in rusper if you want to swap it over
Thanks given by:
If your only doing a stage 1 Id do it with your current setup and see how you like it, no point in unnecessary arsing

(08-08-2013, 08:21 AM)pugtk Wrote: If your only doing a stage 1 Id do it with your current setup and see how you like it, no point in unnecessary arsing

If you want more go bosch, Just to let you know my stage one lucas 306 was on par with my mates bosch also stage 1

However I screwed a couple more lucas pumped 306s and they were nothing like my first one to go..
Thanks given by:
Tbf it's not hard to outrun an XSi lol....crap power from a 2.0 petrol (granted not quite as bad as the 2.0 MK4 Golf 'GTi' but still). Although I'd imagine XUDs were more likely de-tuned for insurance, tax and longevity reasons.

Back on topic, I haven't had an XUD, but I have stage 1'd a few diesels now - and stage 1 isn't necessarily 'fine'. It's unlikely to do any major damage, BUT I found it does show up any smaller faults - boost leaks, slipping clutch, broken EGR etc.... That said, if they're anything like HDi's they'll be undriveable without a stage 1! lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential Boost Leak adamm306 10 2,649 13-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Last Post: adamm306