Cutting paint

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting paint
I've never looked after my paintwork, and this has resulted in all of the panels being different colours from one another, some of them being incredibly pink.

I decided to try and make it look better, so I bought some meguiars 105 and 205, and some banana armour wax.

The worst panels were the roof and rear passenger quater, so I thought I'd start with them. The 105 started to remove paint from the quater immediatly and to my suprise quickly turned the panel from light pink to cherry red. I was very excited and thought I was going to have a red car again within a few hours.

However, for some reason the same 105 compound and same pad will not remove any paint from any other panel. I've tried it on the roof which is pink like the quater was, tried it on the boot which is red/pink and also on the door which is red.
What's going on?!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Perhaps the other panels require more cutting.

I've never cut cherry red before, only metallic paint on a 306. When i cut my red (read pink) astra, I had to keep changing pads/cloths. They get 'clogged' with paint residue, so rather than applying compound to the paint, you are infact applying paint to the paint.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Clean pad and try again. Mis match of panels maybe? Or maybe some of the paint is further gone than your first couple panels?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Get some 2500 paper? and recut?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for replies. I was using a new pad and used quite a bit of compound but the roof just didn't want to change. The rest of the car is pretty good though considering the condition it was in before, so I waxed that to protect it. I've left the roof for now but I'll have another go at some point.
The compound I was using is more abrasive than 2500 paper, says it can remove marks left by 1200
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Some donut might have put clear over it lol
[Image: 704e7db1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If your not getting paint transfer on to the pad your dealing with different paint quite possibly a non direct gloss paint in other words a finish that may have been clear coated. Get some pain thinner or petrol on a rag and rub in inconspicuous area on each panel you'll soon get your answer.
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Some cheap lacquers don't have much uv protection so the basecoat underneath can still fade. If any repairs have been done in the past there's a good chance the colour has had to be blended and the repaired panels and possibly the ones either side will have been clearcoated. Unfortunately if this is the case no amount of buffing will get rid of it.

Even just use a bit of your compound on a clean cloth and buff a small section by hand to check. If it stays basically white then it's clearcoated, if it goes pinkish red then you just need loads of elbow grease!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paint on paint removal MRiches 6 2,329 28-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Choppin