Drilling Out Rivets...Tips?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drilling Out Rivets...Tips?
Hi,

For the side skirt rivets....I've removed a few skirts and always mess up a few that slip or spin!

So any tips for easy removal of rivets? Any particular type/size bit that should be ueed? I snapped one on the estate skirt rivets so guessing that wasn't right lol.

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
5mm bit should do the job or you could use bigger if you want.
Thanks given by:
metal should be drilled slow with pressure. Small drill its will snap so make sure you wear goggles! 5mm+ and you should be okay!
Thanks given by:
Keep the drill sharp, and keep the drill square to the rivet don't try and wiggle the drill into the rivet, just keep a clean hole straight through it.
Thanks given by:
Keep pressure on it and itll help stop it spinning
Thanks given by:
Drill at slight angle, then it wont spin it Wink
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Think the bit I snapped was at least 5mm lol (snapped more than one in different things...). It was cold though, piles of snow on the ground so probably made it brittle or something.

Will try the above then, cheers guys. Smile
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2013, 08:59 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Drill at slight angle, then it wont spin it Wink

+1

Top bit of advice that.

Simple, but effective
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2013, 04:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Think the bit I snapped was at least 5mm lol (snapped more than one in different things...). It was cold though, piles of snow on the ground so probably made it brittle or something.

Snow?? I swear we are in August right?
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2013, 05:00 PM)Rich306 Wrote:
(05-08-2013, 04:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Think the bit I snapped was at least 5mm lol (snapped more than one in different things...). It was cold though, piles of snow on the ground so probably made it brittle or something.

Snow?? I swear we are in August right?

I was breaking the estate back in March lol..... Wink Wanting to know how I can avoid the same issue with the latest one. Smile
Thanks given by:
another little tip, keep the drill bit as far in the drill chuck as you can, that way it has the least distance that it can flex when drilling possible snapping and breaking something
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2013, 10:17 PM)mattgreene Wrote: another little tip, keep the drill bit as far in the drill chuck as you can, that way it has the least distance that it can flex when drilling possible snapping and breaking something

+1! Definitely!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arch liner plastic rivets DeeTurbo 5 1,833 03-08-2016, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Frosty
  Drilling the grill aaron_one 14 2,476 09-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Last Post: 7057sam
  ignition drilling andy9372 2 812 20-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Last Post: welshpug