Are these the right coilovers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are these the right coilovers?
Right this might seem like a bit of a silly question but can I use these on my HDi?

http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_d...Suspension

It doesn't include the 2.0 engine in the ones that are £320, but the ones that do are £360 on most sites.

APs own site doesn't actually have a coilover with the HDi listed so I'm led to assume that they are all the same, both are rated 950kg axle weight

If I can get these for £320 then ill have them but if not its a set of Koni shocks and AP 40mm springs, should be alright?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
iv got a set of these on my gti . epic set of coilovers. i spec'd them with a heigher LB spring from the factory to suite the gti as they dont do a set to suite off the shelf.

with a hdi the sets suited for the cabby should do the job

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
J, iirc they're over 350 lb springs as standard.. demon tweeks sent me all the specification for them
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
have you still go a copy of the standard spec? if so can you send me em please

Thanks given by:
f*cking hell, 350lb springs?!?! 250-280lb for the '6 on VTS rear bars at a max, or you just end up with understeer!!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Specs as follows..

I.D is 60mm

main spring 170mm long x 60n/mm = 342 lb/in

Helper - 20mm long x 80n/mm = 456 lb/in
Thanks given by:
That can't be right, Helpers are stupidly soft. Probably not even 50lbs/inch
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thats exactly what i said, but according to them.. they're the specs!

Demon tweeks are also the only ones to even reply to my emails regarding spring rates etc.. i didn't even get a reply from that venom motorsport
Thanks given by:
I bought my coilies direct from a contact at Gaz for £435 delivered for the lot with custom spring rates (I requested the rates in my post above), and the top hats suitable for spherical bearing top mounts. AND I got my compbrake top mounts sent to Gaz who then fitted everything together and sent it out within that cost...

I know it's more than what the op is paying, but at least you know you're getting the right spring rates and that the helpers aren't stiffer than the mains!!!
Thanks given by:
This is my dilemma! I really don't want to skimp and get 'cheap' coilovers.. but at the same time i don't really have the cash to stick on brand new gazs.. think i'll just stick with eibach pros and some bilsteins
Thanks given by:
Gaz recommended me 275lb springs for my ZX which is lighter than a 306.....
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
woh, a 456lb help spring!?

you would need to be running like 2500lb main spring to make sense of that!

those APs seem a good price to be fair...but I would think 300lb would be more than enough.

get that firm and you will start to need to get special tyres and fiddle with your pressures to get it to turn in ok
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
the helpers arnt 456. they completly compress so all the coiles are touching as soon as you sit the weight of the car on them. maybe 56LB but not 456LB

Thanks given by:
I think they just don't have the right spring rates tbh! Although as no one else has replied theres nothing to compare them against

EDIT: If you remove the 0 from the helper spring rate and do the math.. works out as 45 lb/in which is much more like it!
Thanks given by:
yeah 45lb is about right...typo I think!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'm going to give them a call later and ask about them their suitability for the HDi Smile

Ideally I want a set of coilovers because they're obviously easier to 'get right' in terms of ride height etc but considering my car was only ~£700 I don't want to spend that again on some 'good' coils

But after reading the replies I think I might spend my afternoon reading up on spring rates etc Smile

Thsnks Smile
Thanks given by:
In Sweden we ride 500-800 lbs springs ^^ you guys running so soft!

No problem riding 600lbs on the daily.

I've got 600lbs, hybrid arb and 25.5mm tb though.. :p
Thanks given by:
Sweden obviously have there priorities sorted. Roads over here = shit.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Roads here are shit too.. But the main roads are pretty okey. I can't drive my stances car without scrape. Here they love to repair a hole and then it's bumpy as hell!
Thanks given by:
650lb on a 306? They'd be fine on a racer with a massive arb and tbs, but on a stock rear beamed hdi, you'd have understeer central imo...
Thanks given by:
I run 400lb on my 306 now, and that's with 24mm torsion bars at the back, correct valving on the dampers. It is f**King hard to be honest..

On a daily, I wouldn't go above 300lb and 21mm TBS.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2013, 02:05 PM)jammapic Wrote: I run 400lb on my 306 now, and that's with 24mm torsion bars at the back, correct valving on the dampers. It is f**King hard to be honest..

On a daily, I wouldn't go above 300lb and 21mm TBS.

JP

Point is though JP, your rear is stiffer to compensate for the stiffer front (inb4giggidy). Just whacking some 350lb main springs on the front, with stock hdi tbs and arb on the rear (even if you uprate the dampers), you're going to tend to understeer on the limit for sure.

Far better to match the spring rates at the front to what set up you've got at the rear, and then spend your time tuning the rebound settings and adjusting your front toe to give you the handling characteristics you desire imo....
Thanks given by:
Absolutely agree... There is no point increasing the stiffness at the front at all without some modification to the rear. It's a sure fire way to make the handling crap.

JP
JP
Thanks given by: