Rear beam/torsion bar seals when replacing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear beam/torsion bar seals when replacing
Hello all

decided it might be time to lower my car soon, come to find the rear beam is slightly cambered and occasionally there's a squeaking noise from the rear over bumps etc which I assume is related. I did expect this as it is a 12 year old car with 157k on the clock and I did budget to replace it anyway

From what I've read on here it would be an upgrade to replace it with a VTS rear beam? Seen a few on eBay for about £120-140, I remember someone saying that they have a thicker ARB?

Also would I be best buying one of the rear beam repair kits you know the ones with a load of seals and bearings for ~£100? Or is this not 'necessary' so to speak?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
not a VTS saxo beam btw, xsara VTS beam, although an estate disc beam are supposed to be the same I think? I bought a gti6 one 2 years ago, no camber, no f*cked bearings or mounts, discs/calipers/pads all usuable £75
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd recommend refurbishing one if your confident to do so, there aren't many original beams in good condition nowadays. You can get both stub pins and all bearings on ebay from a Polish seller for around £90. Someone on here who wrote a guide about it bought them and as far as I know they were fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120976019232?s...1423.l2649

I can't remember if there is any difference with an xzara vts ARB, but the torsion bars differ, they are 21mm as opposed to the 19mm Gti ones. Some of the late estates also had these torsion bars.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As above, definitely worth doing if you've got the means - ie suitable puller, etc.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(22-07-2013, 07:13 PM)Ben Wrote: I'd recommend refurbishing one if your confident to do so, there aren't many original beams in good condition nowadays. You can get both stub pins and all bearings on ebay from a Polish seller for around £90. Someone on here who wrote a guide about it bought them and as far as I know they were fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120976019232?s...1423.l2649

I can't remember if there is any difference with an xzara vts ARB, but the torsion bars differ, they are 21mm as opposed to the 19mm Gti ones. Some of the late estates also had these torsion bars.

Thanks Smile So with them being 21mm as opposed to the 19/20mm GTi ones, would I still be able to use the kit in that link or would the seals/bearings not fit the thicker one?

Also can you use the same kit for both sides?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Im putting the VTS beam on mine this coming weekend, I managed to get mine with the disks and pads etc for £40. I didn't no theses beams fitted the 306 until I come across one which made it pretty clear. So maybe not as many people no about upgrading to a vts beam as much as upgrading to a gti beam?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear beam ...the good and the bad Mighty306 35 15,267 23-07-2020, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear Beam Pgtips 1 1,382 26-06-2020, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear beam rebuild MOK 21 6,467 18-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Last Post: MOK