How to get a can of beer cold fast?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get a can of beer cold fast?
Help!

Just got home from work and have found no beers in the fridge. Got some in the cupboard but they're at room temperature so how do I get them cold quick?

I've stuck one in the freezer but I'm guessing that will still take a while to cool down?
Thanks given by:
Got any liquid nitrogen laying around?
Thanks given by:
Put ice cubes, water and salt into something and put the cans in for a few minutes, or wrap the can in wet tissue and put in the freezer.
Thanks given by:
run it under cold tap, wrap in kitchen roll, soaks up the cold water then wack it in the freezer, cool it a lot quicker like that
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
From room temp to drinkable will take 20 minutes in the freezer but dont leave it in ffs.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys for your replies

(12-07-2013, 09:06 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Got any liquid nitrogen laying around?

I wish lol

(12-07-2013, 09:08 PM)ConorTRG Wrote: Put ice cubes, water and salt into something and put the cans in for a few minutes, or wrap the can in wet tissue and put in the freezer.

Yeah seen this when I googled to find an answer. How does the salt help?

I stuck a can between a pack of frozen veg and peas for 15 mins. Seemed to do the trick, happy days.
Thanks given by:
Salt lowers the freezing point of the water, so you get a colder layer around the can, i think. Or salt water will transfer the heat frpm the can faster. One or the other.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Osmosis right? Lol
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
No, osmosis concerns the movement of water across a partially permeable membrane.

Salt helps as dissolving it in water breaks up the ionic lattice, forming ions in the water. This will increase conductivity, both electrical and thermal.
Thanks given by:
Salt means the water can stay liquid at lower temps then usual. For example if you stick water in the freezer it will get to 0* Celsius where it will freeze.
However if you was to lower the freezing point by adding salt you will have colder then 0* water! This means your beer will cool down much quicker then if it was sitting at 0*!
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
(13-07-2013, 12:26 PM)Ben Jay Wrote: Salt means the water can stay liquid at lower temps then usual. For example if you stick water in the freezer it will get to 0* Celsius where it will freeze.
However if you was to lower the freezing point by adding salt you will have colder then 0* water! This means your beer will cool down much quicker then if it was sitting at 0*!

Well.. not really. Pure water when it freezes still gets colder, just not in liquid form.

As said already, salt lowers the melting point of the water, so you can have liquid water below 0degC. Doesn't magically make it colder though.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Pour it through a coffee filter full of ice cubes if you've got some in the freezer.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Always buy more beer when you open your last crate. This is why I have a beer fridge...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
You can do it instantly if you want

Get a large cool box, a coil of copper pipe (of a reasonable diameter), a funnel, some silicone and a fuckload of ice.

Drill a hole in the bottom corner of the cooler and silicone the copper pipe in then pin the coils of copper apart at regular intervals so that beer would flow downwards through it. attach the funnel to the top of the copper pipe.

Fill the cooler with ice and salt then add water (water conducts heat alot better than air so you need it to fill the gaps in the ice).

Put the cooler on a chair, pour beer in the top and it will come out cold at the bottom.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ghostbusters Car, Ramshackle Banger Rally, Beer / Stag Party Europe Road Trip Eeyore 6 4,520 29-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Last Post: C2K