Gti cam covers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gti cam covers?
HI all can you fit 2.0 gti cam covers on the 1.8 head? Ive got myself the gti coil as I no there's two different types when it comes to the top casing?

Im putting the inlet and out let mani's on, so would be good to have the cam covers to Smile
Thanks given by:
Nope....the cam cover bolts are in a difference place on the 1.8.
Thanks given by:
need to put a gti6 head on it and then youll have the covers.
Thanks given by:
I think that will be the best bet.
Thanks given by:
Might as well go the full wack. Gti head inlet manni, TB ,injecters. Ecu exhaust manni , decat. Get it all mapped to suite and you should see some extra bhp

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
IIRC the GTi cam carriers fit, so swap the carriers and covers over. Lot of effort just for some different cam covers though...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 04:46 PM)Grant Wrote: IIRC the GTi cam carriers fit, so swap the carriers and covers over. Lot of effort just for some different cam covers though...

Nope. The rear one has a cut out for the brake vacuum pump so will leave a great big hole in the side of the head lol.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Think ill get the inlet and out let manifolds with the injectors Tb etc. Then later one down the line ill get the ecu with transponder etc, and get that remapped. I heard not so long ago the 1.8 ecu doesn't like to be mapped? Am I correct?
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 05:06 PM)underground375 Wrote: Think ill get the inlet and out let manifolds with the injectors Tb etc. Then later one down the line ill get the ecu with transponder etc, and get that remapped. I heard not so long ago the 1.8 ecu doesn't like to be mapped? Am I correct?

Correct the Siemens shite with the 1.8 is truly awful. If your going down the route of upgrading all of that, id just put in a gti6 engine in. Whilst a GTI head/1.8 bottom setup would be good, it needs mapping which is expensive. Even if you use the gti ECU along with the head and manifolds, it will still over fuel.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 05:03 PM)Niall Wrote: Nope. The rear one has a cut out for the brake vacuum pump so will leave a great big hole in the side of the head lol.

C'mon Niall. Thought you would have known about this. Apparently its great at fixing holes in engines!

[Image: evo-stik-card-hard-fast-metal-50g_a.jpg]
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Hmmm didn't think of that. So final plan of action, (As I don't have money coming out of my pockets)

Get the inlet and out let manifolds.

Run these on the 1.8 block for now.

Look into getting a gti block (As I all ready have the manifolds.)

Get the ECU with transponder etc. and wiring loom, fit and enjoy Smile
Thanks given by:
keep the XU7 or XU10J4R head/cam covers, XU10J4RS ones are crap.

you need an engine not just a block if you want the XU10J4RS.

tbh, just buy a bloody gti, far less work and a lot cheaper to insure than a modified 1.8.
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 05:43 PM)Grant Wrote:
(21-11-2013, 05:03 PM)Niall Wrote: Nope. The rear one has a cut out for the brake vacuum pump so will leave a great big hole in the side of the head lol.

C'mon Niall. Thought you would have known about this. Apparently its great at fixing holes in engines!

[Image: evo-stik-card-hard-fast-metal-50g_a.jpg]

lol

As welsh pug said, get a gti engine. The 1.8/gti setup will only work well with a remap.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by: