Wheels judder when breaking...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheels judder when breaking...
So as the title suggests, my wheels judder like hell when I break. They done this when I bought the car, so just figured warped discs. Changed all discs and pads, and it's still juddering like mad.

The p bushes are fine, tracking is all good now, everything under the car feels tight, and it knocks a little when coming off the power then back on.

I need to change the top engine mount and strut bearing, but somehow I don't think this will help. Anyone got any ideas/suggestions or is willing to come have a look? I'll repay in beers Smile
Thanks given by:
I was going to suggest warp disc.
Have you had your wheels balanced?

I know someone a while ago had this problem. Cant remember the outcome.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Are your wheel bolts tight? Are your wheels balanced? Could be a misshapen wheel or tyre.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Are yoy running aftermarket whees without spiggot rings? I remember one of my cold chavvy cars being like this as they ended up circling like eggs
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Deffantly sounds like you got summin loose jack it up give wheel a shake check all connections to the wheel
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
Buckled wheel?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
the new discs and pads not sorted it then?

it did it this when I first bought it, which was fixed with new discs and pads all round. and was fine for around a year, and I never hit anything nor did previous owner, don't think I ever had the wheels balanced though, could be worth a shot
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
All wheels nuts are tight, wheel bearings are good, everything seems as it should.

They're clones, they came off my HDi so they're fine. Even the ones on it are good. Wouldn't be the abs spazzing out? The light doesn't come on, I'll check the rings later.

I'm scratching my head on this one :/
Thanks given by:
coast along at about 15-20 mph and bring the handbrake on slowly (holding the button in) don't use the footbrake.....if you feel the car wobbling and you can also feel it through the handbrake lever then theres a rear drum/disc buckled.
or get it onto an mot brake tester ???
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2013, 05:15 PM)daddyfixit Wrote: coast along at about 15-20 mph and bring the handbrake on slowly (holding the button in) don't use the footbrake.....if you feel the car wobbling and you can also feel it through the handbrake lever then theres a rear drum/disc buckled.
or get it onto an mot brake tester ???

Tried that, it's definitely the front brakes. All discs and pads were changed.
Thanks given by:
id actually get ya wheels checked mate it defiantly sounds like you have a buckled wheel like piggy said go to a Tyre shop get em to spin it up for you....i know you say they came off another car and that was fine..that could be because the wheel was buckled on that car in turn messing everything else up at the same time so it wasn't noticeable on the other car....
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
did you clean the mating faces between discs and hubs??

PS its brakes not breaks!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2013, 06:23 PM)pugjohn306 Wrote: id actually get ya wheels checked mate it defiantly sounds like you have a buckled wheel like piggy said go to a Tyre shop get em to spin it up for you....i know you say they came off another car and that was fine..that could be because the wheel was buckled on that car in turn messing everything else up at the same time so it wasn't noticeable on the other car....

Buckled wheels can't be an option. They judder when I bought the car, I swapped for the ones on my HDi, and still judder. Nothing judders on the HDi.

(15-07-2013, 08:03 PM)Piggy Wrote: did you clean the mating faces between discs and hubs??

PS its brakes not breaks!

Yeah, everything has been cleaned with wire brush and anti grease.

And I realise my spelling mistake, stupid ifails auto correct and I can't edit the title from tapatalk.

There's not a chance this could have anything to do with the abs? Earlier I put the car on a ramp, got a gauge and pin that runs against the rim, stuck it in 1st gear and let it run. There was no wobble from that at all, from either wheel. Only when I brake.

I genuinely can't get my head around his, and being Scottish and tight, I don't want to just throw parts at it in the hope it'll work. I want to properly diagnose the problem then fix.

Is there a way to test abs sensors?
Thanks given by:
abs will work or wont.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
if it will put you mind at rest pull the abs fues out (disabling the abs) and try again

also check drive shaft play, lower ball joint, track rod end, umm yeah thats all i can think of giben the other stuff you have tried

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
does it feel like thumping through the pedal and judder through the steering wheel? If so you need to clean all the rust and burrs from the hub/disc (use a dremel or lots of metal sandpaper)or that will cause the discs not to be straight and have run out - that will cause wobble etc

i have just spent 1/2 a day sorting my wobble....that was my cause Smile
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 02:48 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: does it feel like thumping through the pedal and judder through the steering wheel? If so you need to clean all the rust and burrs from the hub/disc (use a dremel or lots of metal sandpaper)or that will cause the discs not to be straight and have run out - that will cause wobble etc

I have already mentioned this, and he said he had cleaned the mating faces
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Have you checked the calipers are not moving?
I don't recall seeing this on your list.

Also just to add, does it only do this when braking? Or when you change down a gear using nothing but the engine power..
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
The calipers are on tight. I didn't think about taking the fuse out actually, what fuse am I looking for? I'll go give it a rag now actually once I know what fuse and report back. Usually with this kind of judder, given how violent it is, something obvious would be staring me in the face, and very loose. But everything is sound, everything is tight.

Found it. Fuse 31!

I'll go for a rag, and report back....
Thanks given by:
It does kinda just leave it down to the abs then. Nothing else I can possibly think of that would cause this issue.
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 05:24 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(16-07-2013, 02:48 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: does it feel like thumping through the pedal and judder through the steering wheel? If so you need to clean all the rust and burrs from the hub/disc (use a dremel or lots of metal sandpaper)or that will cause the discs not to be straight and have run out - that will cause wobble etc

I have already mentioned this, and he said he had cleaned the mating faces

Ah sorry, new to tap talk lol
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a real daft question, but I can't find where fuse 31 is in the engine bay. Can anyone post a photo of it? I see the fuses in a single row in other photos I see, but mine has two rows of fuses with no numbers on the location....

Can someone please post a wiring diagram or a photo pointing to fuse 31? Smile
Thanks given by:
fuses are under the dash, drivers side! lmao
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hahahaha, I know they're all under the dash, but they only go up to 30. The rest are in the engine bay, right?
Thanks given by:
Yeah under a box lid on the passenger side.
Right in front of the strut mount.
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
Really?? Shit, bit of a fail on my part hahaha

I'll give it a go after work, my mate thinks she can beat me in a 1.4 16v polo. I'll smoke her easy.....

(17-07-2013, 02:49 PM)Rich306 Wrote: Yeah under a box lid on the passenger side.
Right in front of the strut mount.

Hang on, just read that properly. I see the box there, but there's no numbers next to the fuse to show which one it is...
Thanks given by:
Looking at the fuse box in the engine bay, it appears I have a fuse box from a 106???

Any idea of the fuse numbers for that?
Thanks given by:
Ok, so unplugged the abs last night, still the same. I'm gonna change the sensors and driveshafts anyway, but I'm still so confused. The garage I usually use can't work it out :/
Thanks given by:
I had this!

Albeit on my HDi with 266s. Pissed me off somewhat, couldn't work out what it was. Replaced both driveshafts (for other reasons) and the brake judder was still there.

I always thought it was a warped disc, but recently upgraded to a GTi6 brake setup and it has gone completely. So it could be the calipers? A sticky one perhaps?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I can't think it could be the calipers, but nothing surprises me.

I'll change the shafts and sensors, and if it's still there I'll try pick up some calipers. If the judder is still there when braking, I'll drive it off a cliff.
Thanks given by: