rear dampers - lowering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rear dampers - lowering
hello all Smile

decided against coilovers for now and going to go with an FK 40mm suspension kit as they seem fairly reasonable for the price; good reviews etc.

they only come with the front shocks/springs so for a 40mm drop should i be looking at upgrading the rear dampers? bearing in mind this is a 12 year old car and although they may have been replaced at some stage should i think about doing it all in one?

seen some 'monroe' ones on ebay for £48 a pair, or bilstein oe ones for £68, anyone got any opinions or advice to share on this? Smile

cheers
Thanks given by:
Errrm you do know its the torsion bar you use to lower the rear don't you.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2013, 04:51 AM)kingy Wrote: Errrm you do know its the torsion bar you use to lower the rear don't you.

mmmm....no I dont think he does! awww
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I would say go 60mm springs instead, a 40mm drop isn't quite enough.

With dampers, if you're just replacing the front springs and leaving the stock absorbers, leave the rear alone now... However, if you are putting uprated front absorbers on, you will want the rear to match or else you'll upset the balance of the car.

And yeah, it is the torsion bars on the rear that you'll have to mess around with to change the ride height, which are the biggest pain in the ass part of the car that I've come across!!
Thanks given by:
I know it's the torsion bar lol! but there are also a pair of dampers there? I've seen some coilovers kits with a pair of uprated rear ones?

Will be using shortened front shocks with -40mm springs

Also ill be running 16s on 195/40/16s so the rolling radius will hardly change, only going to drop 40mm because I'm not a fan of the 'slammed' look and the roads here are less than well maintained :/

My £135 a year tax probably goes on Foxs biscuits
Thanks given by:
You want 195/45 not 40 profile buddy, on a 16"

Shock absorbers on the rear may be a bit old and scabby and obviously affect the damping of the car, so a replacement is a good idea. 'Upgraded' ones from the likes of Gaz etc. seem a bit of a waste to me, when all they do is control the damping. I got some second hand Bilstein OEM replacements on here to replace my creaky old ones...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2013, 03:53 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: You want 195/45 not 40 profile buddy, on a 16"

Shock absorbers on the rear may be a bit old and scabby and obviously affect the damping of the car, so a replacement is a good idea. 'Upgraded' ones from the likes of Gaz etc. seem a bit of a waste to me, when all they do is control the damping. I got some second hand Bilstein OEM replacements on here to replace my creaky old ones...

Ill change them for 45s when this 4mm or so wears out mate cheers for the advice Smile ill probably just pick some of the OEM ones up then and stick them on Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear dampers too short? dt_ 4 1,439 12-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Last Post: dt_
  Putting dampers back on the rear beam Iaitoo 2 1,096 10-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Last Post: RetroPug
  Rear beam lowering South East tartboy 1 858 17-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Last Post: connorp