Shorts in work during hot weather

Poll: During hot weather, and if there is no legitimate Health & Safety reason otherwise, should employees be allowed to wear shorts to work?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, as long as it is in keeping with the uniform and looks relatively smart.
100.00%
19 100.00%
No, the company should be allowed to effectively cook you any way they want, even steaming you in your own sweat.
0%
0 0%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shorts in work during hot weather
Hi guys.
So as per title really what's everyone's opinion of shorts in work during the hot spells? Came back to work this aft and the canteen was littered with warning letters.
My opinion of it is that if there is no legitimate health & safety otherwise, that shorts should be allowed during extreme temperatures so long as its in keeping with any specified uniform and looks relatively smart. Now apart from the fact I'm currently checking our contracts as I'm sure there is no specified ban on shorts, or even specified uniform, generally I wear black combat / work pants, and a navy blue company polo, and hi-vis vest. This week I've been in grey shorts (that do go below the knee, so not like I'm wearing hot-pants......... That'd be a horrific sight!) and the afore mentioned polo & vest. Not unreasonable? And I intend to go get a smart pair of workies black combat style shorts when my money comes in which again I think is totally in keeping with current uniform. Apparently my one of our bosses thinks otherwise. I asked for a 'friendly' chat on the matter tonight and got a gob full and basically threatened with my job, so I asked to see the part our our employees contract, and the company's tender contract that specified they were not allowed..... Well the look and response I got you would of thought I'd asked to screw his granddaughter and for him to film it for me or something (and she's not even that fit).
So needless to say this is now my crusade for the month (the shorts issue, not his granddaughter) and will be googling with fury, and gathering opinions on the matter for the next show down with him.
Thanks given by:
Just punch him.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
window cleaner/gardener.... I been in shorts for weeks!

wear them and see them in court!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I used to wear shorts all year round at royal mail haha
Even in the snow lol got my picture in the newspaper
Shorts ftw
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I dream of the day!
Thanks given by:
Well if you get awfully hot in your usual work pants i guess you'll be going home with heat exhaustion? Wink

I'm a Virgin Media tech and we're told we absolutely can't wear shorts, I even found Dickies ones that take knee pads and tried to argue the H&S case but our legs have to be completely covered because we're at risk of Leptospirosis and other water-borne nasties, and digging gardens could result in a spade through a bare shin.

H&S sucks balls sometimes but can understand why it's there. Was up in someone's loft today, must have been 40+ degrees, and I had to be fully uniformed for it, including the hi-vis vest. There's guys getting sacked at the mo for failing on-site audits and not following H&S guidelines.. so no choice really.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I drive a bus transporting the elderly and disabled to and from day centres. Oh did I forget to mention the whole bus only has ONE opening window! Granted its the cab window next to me but it does nothing. No roof lights, no windows, no extractors. Mine is fitted with a air-con of sorts but it doesn't even take the edge off the heat. I even have a fan strapped to the floor at the back just to make it a little more bearable for my passengers.

I swear the bloody things are greenhouses on wheels!

(11-07-2013, 05:18 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: H&S sucks balls sometimes but can understand why it's there. Was up in someone's loft today, must have been 40+ degrees, and I had to be fully uniformed for it, including the hi-vis vest. There's guys getting sacked at the mo for failing on-site audits and not following H&S guidelines.. so no choice really.

I used to work doing sky installs, but seeing as was my bro-in-laws company we maybe did bend H&S a bit, but I do totally sympathise with you on the loft issue, used to hate doing the distribution kits in summer was a total killer, and was a trade off of combats or shorts & itchy legs from the insulation that gets everywhere!

(11-07-2013, 05:13 PM)kingy Wrote: Just punch him.
Strange way of handing in my notice!
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 05:18 PM)Just Sean Wrote: I dream of the day!

This! Next time I'm bored at working might take it up with the boss. It's stupid because the women are allowed uniform skirts. I know I end up crawling round on the floor but I end up with cut knees anyway even in trousers.
Thanks given by:
Just wear a skirt... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22828150
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
I'd love to be able to wear shorts at work, but I don't see it happening Sad
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 06:13 PM)burnmw Wrote: Just wear a skirt... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22828150

^^This. If you can stand looking like a pleb, go for it. If women can wear trouser suits/trousers, it stands to reason that men should be able to wear skirts.

Plus it'd be hilarious in a tribunal lol
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 06:13 PM)burnmw Wrote: Just wear a skirt... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22828150

We need pictures of people doing this?
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 06:19 PM)kentiiboii Wrote:

We need pictures of people doing this?

After you Kent... be our guest!
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
Seriously already considered that, they'd probably just find some other bulls**t way of getting me off the road or accuse me of jeopardising my own and my colleagues jobs.
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 06:15 PM)Scott Wrote: I'd love to be able to wear shorts at work, but I don't see it happening Sad

Don't you work in an office? do the public/clients even see you? If so thats even worse that you cant.

I think when I get back to work I'm gonna dig out the uniform rules and go an annoy the chief. I might threaten to wear a skirt and see what that does.
Thanks given by:
At Thorpe the Rides and Attractions dept (ride operators etc) have shorts as their day to day given uniform, mainly because they are outside for long periods of time, usually in the sun. Makes sense. And of course they can wear trousers if they want, they are given that choice.

However I work in F&B and work int he kitchens/restaurants and therefore due to health and safety/hygiene I don't get a choice and trousers are compulsory. Also makes sense.

For once TP have got it right on the shorts front Smile
Thanks given by:
We are not allowed to wear shorts due to safety and appearance (our company are really big on appearance). Like pellowe, i do a lot of climbing around in loft spaces, confined spaces etc. Im supposed to put on my overalls for loft spaces due to insulation causing irritation.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Likewise to pellowe, we are not allowed shorts incase we catch black death or whatever else it is they worry about.

Its daft, pulling in cables or rodding ducts in 32 degrees and having to wear trousers. It all just means we have to take more breaks! Wink
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Yeah thats my excuse for this week so far wasting 3 litres of derv just idling with the air con on. They want me to wear trousers in this heat, im using and abusing that air con!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Consider yourself lucky you have A/C. I don't Sad

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
My boss is tight. I'm a gardener We have to wear black shirt, pants and boots. He southern and every replie we get is fack off you Kant. Oh thanks boss
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Im not even getting started on this, other wise I will go on for hours but........

Im a brick layer , have to wear heavy work trousers , boots, polo & high viz whilst laying in direct sunlight with no shade all day ,im being cooked alive, im not sure how much longer I can go on Sad

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Is that on a site Jamie? If so I thought shorts were permitted on sites?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 07:41 PM)Grant Wrote: Is that on a site Jamie? If so I thought shorts were permitted on sites?

No working for social housing now mate. and they are mega strict on any rules even if they are their own jibberish and not even law

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Ah, that sucks! More trips to the shop for water then. lol

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Honestly, I know that Healthy and Safety rules can seem mad to some people but they're there for a reason! PPE is essential in many tasks to keep you safe. I can't stand wearing disposable gloves because they bring my hands out in a rash, but like hell would you catch me going to the external bins without them....Leptospirosis is not fun!

Same with appearance though. You are an extension of the company and therefore have to present a certain image. For example I work in my client's building, but whilst they have dress-down Fridays we have to wear smart workwear as we're presenting a professional image to them of the company and our services.
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
Not aloud to wear shorts. Have to wear full uniform at all times. I was doing a maintaince job on cctv system tuesday. Black snickers pants, black polo, hi-vis, harness and hard hat. It was 30 degrees most of the day. 60 foot up in a cherry picker swaeting my cock off literlly.
Thanks given by:
Thankfully at my new job I'm allowed to wear shorts so been taking advantage of it.

At Pizza Hut we weren't allowed in case we burnt ourselves on the oven...that started at knee height so wouldn't have mattered as that part is covered. Plus we were given short sleeved tops, anyone else see the stupidity?
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 08:38 PM)Kimmie Wrote: Honestly, I know that Healthy and Safety rules can seem mad to some people but they're there for a reason! PPE is essential in many tasks to keep you safe. I can't stand wearing disposable gloves because they bring my hands out in a rash, but like hell would you catch me going to the external bins without them....Leptospirosis is not fun!

Same with appearance though. You are an extension of the company and therefore have to present a certain image. For example I work in my client's building, but whilst they have dress-down Fridays we have to wear smart workwear as we're presenting a professional image to them of the company and our services.

What health and safety benefits can you outline to me, that wearing shorts would not provide?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 08:50 PM)Grant Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 08:38 PM)Kimmie Wrote: Honestly, I know that Healthy and Safety rules can seem mad to some people but they're there for a reason! PPE is essential in many tasks to keep you safe. I can't stand wearing disposable gloves because they bring my hands out in a rash, but like hell would you catch me going to the external bins without them....Leptospirosis is not fun!

What health and safety benefits can you outline to me, that wearing shorts would not provide?

No idea without knowing your company H&S policies Tongue I'm guessing it's to do with protecting your legs though...none of our contractors can wear shorts on site.
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pugfest prep (weather..) ginge191 22 5,599 10-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Sian
Thumbs Up The Weather Channel 4WayDiablo 32 8,361 28-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Great British Weather Toast 27 9,972 10-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Piggy