Top mount(?) knocking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top mount(?) knocking
I recently had coilies fitted to the '6 and since then I've had a horrendous knocking coming from the front left side. It usually gets worse later on in the drive. After its been sitting for 24hrs it doesn't seem so bad, but at the end of the journey it knocks before it has even reached a bump in the road -_-

Ive had a chat with Ginge and it looks as though it could possibly be the top mount or the wishbone. I'm about to order a top mount as the wishbone was replaced last year and I'm hoping that it managed to last that long.
The top mount is the one that came with the coilies so I don't know how old/worn it is.

Could anyone suggest anything else it could be? Or anything else I could check to see what could be causing the knocking?

Thanks x
Thanks given by:
Where does it sound/feel like its knocking. What conditions is it knocking in, bump, rebound, rough roads smooth roads, turning, accelerating, braking?

A top mount bearing will only knock when steering but if its the actual rubber it can knock at funny times.
Thanks given by:
Jam the top mount up with something temporary then go for a drive and see if it continues. If it does, it's not that. Doubt it will be as they only knock on change of load on the engine.
More than likely f*cked hub/wishbone or top mount

(09-07-2013, 10:37 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: A top mount bearing will only knock when steering but if its the actual rubber it can knock at funny times.

Not true. My original ones had vertical play so knocked badly on load changes and over bumps
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
OK, thank you for the help. We can try that later!

Yeah, there is no commonalities with the knocking, it happens all the time; speeding up, slowing down, turning, bumps in the road...
Thanks given by:
Engine mount?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 10:55 AM)Matt Wrote: Engine mount?

The cause or whether I mean engine or strut? If you mean the latter I mean strut!
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 10:38 AM)Niall Wrote: Jam the top mount up with something temporary then go for a drive and see if it continues. If it does, it's not that. Doubt it will be as they only knock on change of load on the engine.

Jam the top mount?
Eli is referring to the strut top mount, not the top engine mount; how do i jam something in the strut mount if this is what you refer to? Confused
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Sorry my fail with reading the OP!
Yeah in which case, you can try the top mount by opening the bonnet, putting your hands on it and pushing down firmly compressing the spring. If there is vertical play, you will feel it knock. Also, put your hands on it and get someone to turn the wheel. You may be able to feel the bearing play. If its ball joint knocking, it's a new ball joint and. Hub unfortunately.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 11:10 AM)ginge191 Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 10:38 AM)Niall Wrote: Jam the top mount up with something temporary then go for a drive and see if it continues. If it does, it's not that. Doubt it will be as they only knock on change of load on the engine.

Jam the top mount?
Eli is referring to the strut top mount, not the top engine mount; how do i jam something in the strut mount if this is what you refer to? Confused

i'm sure he meant the top engine mount . . . . .and fail on Eli's behalf . .lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 11:24 AM)Niall Wrote: Sorry my fail with reading the OP!
Yeah in which case, you can try the top mount by opening the bonnet, putting your hands on it and pushing down firmly compressing the spring. If there is vertical play, you will feel it knock. Also, put your hands on it and get someone to turn the wheel. You may be able to feel the bearing play. If its ball joint knocking, it's a new ball joint and. Hub unfortunately.

Yeh this about as much as i suspected.

I'll give the strut mount a try later; i'm fairly sure the bearing isn't shot; it turns fine with little grubbing noise, as far as im aware.

The wishbone as eli said was changed last year and was fine before the change.

And the hub, well.. new hub isn't the end of the world to replace.

oh, and we can here the noise when "jumping" on the N/S. whether this eliminates hub issues or not, i dont know
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 11:24 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 11:10 AM)ginge191 Wrote:

Jam the top mount?

i'm sure he meant the top engine mount . . . . .and fail on Eli's behalf . .lol

Rofl
Thanks given by:
See I managed to understand it as strut top mount. Don't think even ginge/Eli would have a problem diagnosing the engine top mount.
Thanks given by:
Sounds stupi but make sure the top of the shock isnt tapping the underside of the bonnet. I had this with a set of racelands on my old 6 took ne ages ti work out wtf it was lol. But it was because the TM was f*cked

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 12:18 PM)puglove Wrote: Sounds stupi but make sure the top of the shock isnt tapping the underside of the bonnet. I had this with a set of racelands on my old 6 took ne ages ti work out wtf it was lol. But it was because the TM was f*cked

Please excuse my potential ignorance here:
I've got bonnet lining... would that eliminate the above possibility?

So, you changed the top mount and the knocking went away?
Thanks given by:
Oh and of course it could be the usual drop link

Ginge, just because the wishbone was replaced last year doesn't mean it's not f*cked now. I've just replaced a 8 month old set of Meyle HD wishbones on my car because they were f*cked
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yeah i had one at the time aswell. Check to see if there is an a round mark in the linning.but no i didnt fix it ......... I flogged the car lol

got a pic of the tm

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 12:26 PM)Niall Wrote: Oh and of course it could be the usual drop link

Ginge, just because the wishbone was replaced last year doesn't mean it's not f*cked now. I've just replaced a 8 month old set of Meyle HD wishbones on my car because they were f*cked

Droplinks were changed with the coilies; brand spankers!

yah i know; TBH it's not a particularly tough job changing the ball joint.

I'll have a look over it tonight and see what i can find.
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 02:27 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 12:26 PM)Niall Wrote: Oh and of course it could be the usual drop link

Again doesn't matter if they are new. Never just discount something from being faulty because its new!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 02:27 PM)ginge191 Wrote:

I've had drop links fail only a few hundred miles later, especially when lowered
Thanks given by:
TBH pretty much any suspension part or engine mount can fail in no time at all even quality ones. I once killed an engine mount in 2 days.
Thanks given by:
Soooooooooooo............ found the culprit.

After a lot of jumping on the car, and me getting my hand in every ball joint possible, i found the knock was coming from the N/S (That was Nialls side to take care of during the work day) lower droplink bolt. There was about another thread to go.

Oh well. He may be able to bodge 4 pots to his GTI but unable to do up droplinks. Can't win them all!
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 09:22 PM)ginge191 Wrote: Soooooooooooo............ found the culprit.

After a lot of jumping on the car, and me getting my hand in every ball joint possible, i found the knock was coming from the N/S (That was Nialls side to take care of during the work day) lower droplink bolt. There was about another thread to go.

Oh well. He may be able to bodge 4 pots to his GTI but unable to do up droplinks. Can't win them all!

sabotage . . . .ffs Nial you've let the Ginger and his woman live . . . .Dodgy
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Thanks Stephen but i think you will find i didnt help at all with the suspension on this car. That was you and Scott. I was too busy trying to fix your 205....which your welcome for by the way.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Bloody gingers
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 10:15 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Bloody gingers

i know right! Think the ginger roots are growing deep down in his brain causing mild stupidity Wink
Team Eaton

Thanks given by: