to get the front lower?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to get the front lower?
Right ive been talking to the guy who had the ridiculously low gti6 on bbs's on jere (cant remember his name) which is sat perfect, anyway I asked him how he got the front end so low, to the point the gti splitter is on the floor, he told me at the bottom of the coilover theres a little tab to stop the coilover going through the hub, hes ground his off and now the bottom of the strut is about 1 or 2 mm from the drive shaft Smile would people advice this? I want it alot lower but to be safe at the same time....
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I was thinking of doing exactly this, can probably measure up how high you want to drop it and re weld a tab on. Its only an alignment piece by my thinking, would only take a small strip of weld to do the same job. Its that or £500 for a manual front air setup.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Meh im not sure id do it tbh. Whats to stop it dropping through if you hit it hard?

If your going to do that id advise those ball joint extentio chock things that were forsale on the gti forum to try on bring the wishbones back down some what. But yeah cant do the car much good, you will eat shafts though.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
wheels must be at a dumb angle at that point surely?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
As Jamie said, I would be re-welding that tab, otherwise over time your strut will just drop through. A M8 pinch bolt will not go tight enough to hold the strut in place indefinitely. You think of the stress and shock subject to that area. You'd have to be bonkers to run it without.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Yeah I dunno if I want to yet as im saving for hydros dont no if I should as I drive it dailey and dont want the shick to go right through the hub while driving
Thanks given by:
Just cut and weld. Get it done! Or you an go extreme cut and chop the strut mountings etc
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Why hydro not air? I was looking at taking a standard set of shocks and cutting them down and rebuilding with heavier fluid. Its done quite a bit in the vag world ive been told.
Thanks given by:
IMO id be speaking to someone to get coilys made with shorter bodies and less travel.

Depending on what your shock is made with welding bits to the outside (and the heat that generates) is likely to boil whatever is inside and make it explode.

You could probably drop it so it sits on the drop link mount.
Thanks given by:
I considered this with my b8s but decided against. What you could do though is grind a small notch in the top of the hub so instead of the top of the tab sitting on top of the hub, it sits down inside it how ever deep you grind the notch. Probably only good for 5 mm lower but probably safer that way!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I want to go hydraulic's as its an easier fit with the beem and alot easier on the front, and I dont want to copy lee tbh I think ill leave it as it is tbh might try what nial said, ive talked to chris about shorter bodies about a year ago he said 205 ones but that kinda put me off it
Thanks given by:
You wouldn't need it that much further down, ive my coilovers nearly down full and there isnt much space between the gtis splitter and the ground, I'd get shorter coilover springs first and then see how it sits.

If you do cut the wee tab of, weld it back on again, but take the shock insert out of the coilover housings as it'll fuk up with the heat.

Also if the splitter is touching the ground on a flat surface you'll break it or a bit of your bumper on unlevel/slopey ground as might scrubs a bit at times and ive some clearance.
Thanks given by:
Ive got my TAs down all the way and still got arch gap on the front. Do t know how other peoples cars look lower than mine.
Thanks given by:
Can't see any issue with doing that as long as you remove the shock insert before welding it, as has been said. Only issues are obviously increased wear on wishbones and driveshafts, but that's part of running low I guess..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 11:19 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: Ive got my TAs down all the way and still got arch gap on the front. Do t know how other peoples cars look lower than mine.

Im guessing you still have the helper spring intact?
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2013, 12:00 AM)ConorTRG Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 11:19 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: Ive got my TAs down all the way and still got arch gap on the front. Do t know how other peoples cars look lower than mine.

Im guessing you still have the helper spring intact?

Yeah, i know a few people that have blown the shock within a month or two of taking the helper out. As mine are nearly 2 years old now and have always been as low as they will go its clearly not worth taking it out.
Thanks given by:
how much would you be looking at for the hydro setup?
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Im on bumpe stops all round and no helper springs, there rear is sat near enough perfect but the front needa to come down about another 10/15mm, thats why im trying to get that but as said when I was talking to heidis on instagram hes done what hes told me and dropped it anothe inch or so and its sat perfect but I want to be safe to, im looking at a 2 way kit so only front and rear so around 2500/3000 ish or so
Thanks given by:
Could always weld some plate underneath the hub where the shock mounts to stop it going all the way thru obviously you can't weld it all the way round else it won't clamp, but weld a tab to stop it slipping, then you can grind the tab of the coilover
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by: