Inlet extension for air filter; GTi6 - what do you use?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inlet extension for air filter; GTi6 - what do you use?
Fitting a 'shroom filter to the GTI but wondering what people are using to extend the inlet from the TB.

90* silicone?
flexy pipe?

basically, the 'shroom fouls on the pipework so needs to be put towards the bottom of the bay; the usual space?

I believe it's a 76mm inlet?

any help would be awesome.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
In all seriousness, if you aren't fussed about intake noise, put it in the standard air box? That way you don't need to worry about sucking up a pond through it either.. Done it on mine and its more responsive over the stock filter
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Havnt got the stock setup Sad
Got chucked out I believe!
Thanks given by:
IMO, the filter set up on my old GTi was the best I heard. PiperX filter, straight on the body. Didn't need anything else. I couldn't care less about heat soak as it sounded amazing...

I'm guessing it fouls because it's wide as opposed to a normal size? If so I'd get a small straight silicone coupler and a metal joiner just to make it clear
Thanks given by:
90º bend 80mm to 70mm reducer k&n apollo closed induction kit

My filter is located half way between chassis leg and bumper
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2013, 11:07 AM)Curt Wrote: IMO, the filter set up on my old GTi was the best I heard. PiperX filter, straight on the body. Didn't need anything else. I couldn't care less about heat soak as it sounded amazing...

I'm guessing it fouls because it's wide as opposed to a normal size? If so I'd get a small straight silicone coupler and a metal joiner just to make it clear

It only fouls because they've got the stock flexy that the icv feed goes into, so it can be bolted straight onto the TB then breather filter on the feed so you can ditch off the OEM pipe
Thanks given by:
90º bend - assuming that's a silicone piece to come off the TB?
70mm reducer - solid pipe to adapt the air filter? i know the filter has adapters with it; not sure what size as she insists on keeping it "in" her car Doh
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2013, 11:16 AM)ginge191 Wrote: 90º bend - assuming that's a silicone piece to come off the TB?
70mm reducer - solid pipe to adapt the air filter? i know the filter has adapters with it; not sure what size as she insists on keeping it "in" her car Doh

There will be an adapter to fit 75/6mm in it for sure
Thanks given by:
awesome; you got and spare pipe to join the silicone and filter?
don't fancy spending out for a piece of small pipe Doh
Thanks given by:
If you're going to bother fitting an aftermarket filter you need as long and smooth an inlet tract as possible, and 3" pipe. Personally if the mouth of the filter is less than 76mm I wouldn't bother with it. I saw 10bhp difference at a rolling road just by fitting a filter a little on the small side, followed by a massive k&n filter.

If you insist though, silicone joiner, 90degree large radius ally pipe, then a joiner to fit the cone.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2013, 11:24 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: If you insist though, silicone joiner, 90degree large radius ally pipe, then a joiner to fit the cone.

TB - 90* silicone - metal coupler - filter.

these would suffice?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-Silicone-...27bbbae761

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APS-Metal-Alum...53f4f86ed5

And it's for Eli; she wants this on asap; the filter on at the moment is diabolical in fairness. The filter itself is a decent size
Thanks given by:
Yeah I'm just thinking of the mouth of the filter, i spent months researching perfect inlets for the gti which lead to me chopping the bonnet up, although now it's more for show than anything.

What you say will suffice, just try if you can to keep and bends as smooth and large radius'd as you can, really helps with midrange torque. Whacking it straight onto the throttle body destroys airflow.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
will do Smile cheers!

The mouth of the filter has a bunch of adapters, so i'm sure something will fit. /bodged
Thanks given by:
http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-1318...#pid288491

goes onto the std airbox but you get the idea as the3 std airpipe feed with the icv feed i couldnt get
76mm flexible silicon hose ebay
18mm ash breather filter ebay
Thanks given by:
If you use a different induction kit it will go straight on a 6 throttle body. Might be easier than faffing with pipes.
Thanks given by:
80mm to 70mm reducer 90º ali bend

i swear to god i put a picture up :/
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 S16 engine with GTi6 inlet Pingaz 6 2,971 14-05-2020, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Pingaz
  air filter 306 gti6 nile306gti6 2 1,730 04-04-2018, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Midnightclub
  Gti6 inlet manifold connorp 11 3,188 25-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Last Post: welshpug