Straight through exhaust/mot regs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straight through exhaust/mot regs
jammapic Wrote:
darrenjlobb Wrote:there is NO way to prove if your car had one or not

The MOT test software now tells them - the only cars it does not know about are imports.

PH1's and early PH2's will probably be ok, if they weren't fitted with one as standard.

The way around it is to say you've fitted an earlier engine, as you only have to conform to the emissions test / standards of the year of the engine.

JP

No way the MOT software can be accurate though.. especially as pug put so many different variations of parts onto there cars, some with lucas and t2, some with bosch and a K14, some with a CAT and some without, it'd be impossible to tell
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It's easy, any car that was made AFTER 1993 MUST have had a cat on it at some point, petrol or diesel. It became law.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
jammapic Wrote:It's easy, any car that was made AFTER 1993 MUST have had a cat on it at some point, petrol or diesel. It became law.

JP
but the early ph1's didnt have cats and they were made after 1993?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just looked at a few sources, and only the very early PH1's came without a cat / filter on them, every Ph2 and Ph3 petrol or diesel left the factory with a cat fitted. Remember, it's not when the vehicle was registered / put on the road - it's when it was MADE.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Nooo so iv got no hope of passing then
Thanks given by:
[Image: 61524988_bribery_xlarge.jpeg]
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Some poo going on in here....

Ive got a 95 xtdt which had NO CAT from factory as well as a 96 D Turbo that also didnt, but my 97 DT did...

Its just pretty random tbh law or not, and at the end of the day I cant see how they can care / will care as theres nothing on paperwork that can proove it either way....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
True, this is weird, and I know it seems logical that my '98 dt had no cat and therefore must of been changed. But I just can't see why, the rest of the car was not modified in anyway! - Nothing changed. Dunno. But was weird when I saw it wasn't there. Tongue
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
I will phone up my MOT guy and ask. Maybe even book it in early
Thanks given by:
I was planning on removing the cat and putting a pipe in place but looks like its going to have to be a guts out jobbie
Thanks given by:
No pop from me, best mate is an MOT tester!
JP
Thanks given by:
Fancy booking mine in lol
Thanks given by:
all the more reason to be friendly with your tester . . . Wink
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
That can't be right, my '99 Dturbo has a Cat as expected, but my 1996 one didn't... That's 3 years after 1993 lol
Thanks given by:
Ahh haha mines a 96 and it does have a cat :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
@op keep your standard exhaust for mot time. Then go mad any time else
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i have always been told a decat should be ok on the diesels.

Kinda wish i kept my cat now though
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
2 penneth time for the HDI dudes.

Ive had a full de-cat(particulate) system on mine since 2009 (ish) Its basically a long straight through pipe from the turbo with a small back box, all made by Longlife and to date ive never had a problem with MOT's other than the comment of it being a bit loud.

Also, time to dust off the vids for those that havent seen it whistle whistle .....

[Image: th_MOV03328.jpg]

[Image: th_MOV03333.jpg]

Bri.
Thanks given by:
Extract taken directly from the 2012 MOT testers manual:

"On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions
test, check the presence of the catalytic
converter."

Pre-2001 diesels do not qualify for a full cat test, so they shouldn't fail it for not having one.

That said, this is assuming your average MOT tester is fully capable of understanding that instruction and ignoring hearsay, and also that they didn't get out of the wrong side of bed that morning. In conclusion, friendly MOT testers ftw! Big Grin
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(13-02-2012, 01:59 PM)Tom Wrote: Right i went to see my mechanic mate over the road today about him welding up a straight through exhasut for me he said yehyeh no worries you clamp it up and i'll weld it no problemBig Grin Theres me thinking yes great he'll do it for free aswell Wink
Buuuuuuuuuut then he started banging on about i'll loose power and that i need back pressure and theres no point and it'll fail mot for emissions i was like no its just smoke for diesel buuuut no no its emissions aswell :o
So any of this true or should i just tell him to shut up and do the welding?

As far as i was aware(Been told) diesels dont create back pressure, thats why a dump valve doesnt work on them in the traditional way. Correct me if im wrong ofcourse.

I realise how old the posts are but i was intruiged.
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2012, 03:03 PM)Jordyn89 Wrote:
(13-02-2012, 01:59 PM)Tom Wrote: Right i went to see my mechanic mate over the road today about him welding up a straight through exhasut for me he said yehyeh no worries you clamp it up and i'll weld it no problemBig Grin Theres me thinking yes great he'll do it for free aswell Wink
Buuuuuuuuuut then he started banging on about i'll loose power and that i need back pressure and theres no point and it'll fail mot for emissions i was like no its just smoke for diesel buuuut no no its emissions aswell :o
So any of this true or should i just tell him to shut up and do the welding?

As far as i was aware(Been told) diesels dont create back pressure, thats why a dump valve doesnt work on them in the traditional way. Correct me if im wrong ofcourse.

I realise how old the posts are but i was intruiged.

All engines create back pressure, just in a petrol you need to get rid of it as quickly as possible to make more power (i think) In a diesel the pressure helps to spin the turbo and after the turbo we dont need it at all because its only getting in the way. Again (i think).
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Ah ok I understand that, but if that's the case isn't more presure better at beginning for less turbo lag? Also is this the sane with all turbo? According to a guy on 306.net, I have a K03 turbo maxed out. But my dtub is sluggish to be honest.
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2012, 08:23 PM)Jordyn89 Wrote: Ah ok I understand that, but if that's the case isn't more presure better at beginning for less turbo lag? Also is this the sane with all turbo? According to a guy on 306.net, I have a K03 turbo maxed out. But my dtub is sluggish to be honest.

What does he called maxed out? Lol Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
My early ph2 didn't have a cat as standard, just saying
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2012, 01:13 AM)Dicky Wrote: My early ph2 didn't have a cat as standard, just saying

Thats the peugeot way tbh!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Well, according to him I can't get anything out of my turbo, he may be wrong, I will make a new thread and post it on there as I'm slowly going off topic lol.

Going back to straight throughs, what's the cost element behind one? Is it a case of getting Some exhaust from a breakers, cutting it up and welding it together so it fits, also you talk about knocking baffles out of exhausts, what's easier way to do that? Cut a hole, knock them out then patch it back up?
Thanks given by:
Literally the cost of pipe and welding costs, simple as that. For taking the baffles out most say to cut a flap in the box and bend it open the get all the stuff out then bend it back and get it welded shut again.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yeah that sounds doable, can Weld myself so other bad there. Can't wait to get on with it,

Modded turbo, compensator and pump last night to, my pug feels like a vtr Killer :p
Thanks given by:
VTR's are hardly fast mind! Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
But power to Weight says different different( used to be a vtr man). :p
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust Size again!, Dowpipe to Straight pipe JamesPT 12 4,477 12-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Chairchild
  Exhaust on a Straight Diesel Darren123 14 5,368 02-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Last Post: samass