Steam cleaners

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steam cleaners
Just noticed this steam cleaner in sainsbury's:
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/app...4294902565
Would it be any good for cleaning the engine bay? I have read a steam cleaner is one of the few ways to get things properly clean.
Thanks given by:
no, its no way powerful enough. steam cleaners are amazing for degreasing engines but youl need an industrial one for taking on an engine.

ive got a diesel powered one for cleaning trucks, that handheld thing would do nothing
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Okay thanks. Moderators close this thread.
Thanks given by:
I have an issue with veg oil residue on the side of my car where the filer neck is. Normal jet washing refuses to shift it. Would a steam cleaner help?
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
(28-06-2013, 06:25 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: no, its no way powerful enough. steam cleaners are amazing for degreasing engines but youl need an industrial one for taking on an engine.

ive got a diesel powered one for cleaning trucks, that handheld thing would do nothing

I also have a diesel one for cleaning trucks also. What would be the best way to clean the engine bay? Do I need to avoid certain parts cover anything up?

(29-06-2013, 10:34 AM)Ben Jay Wrote: I have an issue with veg oil residue on the side of my car where the filer neck is. Normal jet washing refuses to shift it. Would a steam cleaner help?

Yes but some cleaning chemicals would help, oven degreaser like I use at my work would probably work well for veg oil
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2013, 06:54 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Okay thanks. Moderators close this thread.

*Please
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
use brake cleaner or engine degreaser for engine bay.

avoid intake and fuse box and any breathers.

for the veggy tar on side of car by filler, bit of petrol or white spirit on a rag or some brake cleaner. worth a polish n wax after to help further cleans
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-06-2013, 12:01 PM)Piggy Wrote: use brake cleaner or engine degreaser for engine bay.

avoid intake and fuse box and any breathers.

for the veggy tar on side of car by filler, bit of petrol or white spirit on a rag or some brake cleaner. worth a polish n wax after to help further cleans

Gunk degreaser does that job perfectly!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
if your steam cleaning the bay, just leave the engine running while you do so, as piggy says avoid the intake and major electrical parts, but pour a couple of liters of industrial strength degreaser over the block then get at it with the cleaner on max power and it gets the block looking amazing, works wonders on the bulkhead and inner wings too, oh and the susopension, shifts all the greasy shit that accumulates on bottom arms and the subframe
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Thanks Zakk! What's the reasoning behind leaving the engine running?
Thanks given by:
It's an old petrol thing, not really necessary on an XUD.
Thanks given by:
its just a precaution having the engine running, it keeps everything warm and moving so any moisture that builds up evaporates faster, also avoid the tensioners on the cambelt and aux setup, steam cleaner will drive out all the lubricant in the bearings and you'll have some pretty major squeaking
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steam games... Carlos182 4 3,171 08-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Carlos182
  Steam ID's Carlos182 3 1,845 08-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Last Post: lh_4827