broken dipstick

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
broken dipstick
i need to buy a new dipstick as mine is just the metal piece. it was like it when i bought it a few weeks ago. my question is how far does that metal part go down so i can read the oil. i dont want to be driving it with low. oil. does the metal part go completly into the tube.
thanks.
Thanks given by:
The actual stick will sit in the sump. That is where it takes its measurement from.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
thanks for the reply. the plastic part is completly missing from the top so i dont know how far im ment to push the metal stick down. is it so far that the metal stick is completly in the tube. so i need to use grippers to get it back out or would you think it sticks out a bit on top. when the plastic case was on there did the metal butt up to the same height as the stopper where the rubber seal would be?
Thanks given by:
I couldnt say for sure, as i don't know how far the stick is in the handle. If your 10mm out in pushing it in, and fill your engine up too much with oil, you could ruin it. Just get another stick from a breakers and use that. If you are genuinely concerned about how much oil you do have and cannot for whatever reason wait, drain it out and fill up again with the manufacturers specified amount to be safe. If it were me I would just wait till the new stick arrived 2/3 days later in the post.Thats just me though Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
No one can say for sure. Whats to say a it of the metal part hasnt gone aswell. There is no way you are going to get a reading you can trust from it. If your that worried get down the scrappy and get one ASAP.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Surely the dipstik end should have a bend on it in order for the rubber bung to be sealed on there mine was missing the rubber bung so i put a new bung on it home made of course cus im a skinflint usually if it has a bend on the top it would stick out about 2mill cus youd have to factor in the bung that used to be on it as for messuring oil on the dipstick as everyone has said you cant get an acurate reading theres to many factors its more for knowing theres oil in there and enuff to circulate around the engine..
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
they break all the time as said in earlyer posts go down your local scrappy and get one if not you can get one off ebay if you want a brand new one.
Thanks given by:
(27-06-2013, 01:20 PM)pugjohn306 Wrote: Surely the dipstik end should have a bend on it in order for the rubber bung to be sealed on there mine was missing the rubber bung so i put a new bung on it home made of course cus im a skinflint usually if it has a bend on the top it would stick out about 2mill cus youd have to factor in the bung that used to be on it as for messuring oil on the dipstick as everyone has said you cant get an acurate reading theres to many factors its more for knowing theres oil in there and enuff to circulate around the engine..

I still wouldn't trust it

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
il have to goto the scrappy and get one. theres no bend or nothing. just a metal strip. its like its sheared at the top. i know the 1.4 are tappity and im not getting any issues with over heating. the engine is running sweet. just its always a concern as when i bought the car it had an oil leak. im guessing from the rocker. so replaced the gasket. gotta be fair this car hasnt been looked after before i bought it. although it is clean and low miles for what it is.
Thanks given by:
(27-06-2013, 11:06 PM)krisjones91 Wrote: il have to goto the scrappy and get one. theres no bend or nothing. just a metal strip. its like its sheared at the top. i know the 1.4 are tappity and im not getting any issues with over heating. the engine is running sweet. just its always a concern as when i bought the car it had an oil leak. im guessing from the rocker. so replaced the gasket. gotta be fair this car hasnt been looked after before i bought it. although it is clean and low miles for what it is.

mate if you wanna see a car thats not been looked after befor owning it come and have a look at mine lol iv replaced wish bones ball joints tie rod ends driveshaft manifold gaskets wheels rocker cover and gasket put oil in it as it seemed to have not much gearbox oil as it had non breaks front and rear and im still going with replacing valve stem seals lol ...so dont be so disheartend with a dipstik mate yours is in better shape than mine lol...
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2013, 04:19 PM)pugjohn306 Wrote:
(27-06-2013, 11:06 PM)krisjones91 Wrote: il have to goto the scrappy and get one. theres no bend or nothing. just a metal strip. its like its sheared at the top. i know the 1.4 are tappity and im not getting any issues with over heating. the engine is running sweet. just its always a concern as when i bought the car it had an oil leak. im guessing from the rocker. so replaced the gasket. gotta be fair this car hasnt been looked after before i bought it. although it is clean and low miles for what it is.

mate if you wanna see a car thats not been looked after befor owning it come and have a look at mine lol iv replaced wish bones ball joints tie rod ends driveshaft manifold gaskets wheels rocker cover and gasket put oil in it as it seemed to have not much gearbox oil as it had non breaks front and rear and im still going with replacing valve stem seals lol ...so dont be so disheartend with a dipstik mate yours is in better shape than mine lol...
lol to be fair mines not that bad lol. this is the first pug iv owned and even tho its only a 1.4 and slow. i love the way it handles. hopefully get a set of cyclones after the holiday in october. if i spent to much money on it before then the wife would kill me lol. i want to get a louder back box and a better interior and a rear spoiler as well when money allows.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.4 TU3JP KFX dipstick length svk_w0lf 3 2,364 18-11-2021, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Martin306
  dipstick length John1.4 7 2,304 07-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Matt