Gti6 idle issue

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gti6 idle issue
Hi all I recently purchased a gti6 and I'm having some running issues hope someone can help me. The car idles fine and revs up nicely but every now and then when it is idling if you rev it it will return to Idle speed And then drop below idle speed struggle to pick up again and then cut out completely. Any help you can offer Would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks given by:
Dodgy icv.
Thanks given by:
As vaughan said its probably the ICV, best bet would be to take it off and give it a clean with some carb cleaner
Thanks given by:
Thats guys I'll have a look at it tomorrow. If it's dead do you know a good place to get a new one? Ebay?
Thanks given by:
Peugeot, eurocarparts
Thanks given by:
99% its ICV . Dont be tempted to buy a cheap repoduction they dont last 5mins. And you will be forking out for a genuine one a couple months down the line anyway

Best bet is to go to peugeot and get one 1st time around. Be warned though they arnt cheap

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
As said, don't go cheap. Look for 'Magnetti Marelli' they pop up reasonably enough priced on ebay from time to time and are OE quality stuff.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys. Iv had the icv off the car today and cleaned it with Carb cleaner but it's made no difference. I'm guessing it's probably broken then. Or could it be the coil packs?
Thanks given by:
Wouldn't be coil packs as that would cause a misfire not an idle issue. Did you grease the ICV after cleaning it?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Yeah right true I don't get any miss firing. No I didn't grease it just gave it a good clean. Couldn't really see any moving parts to grease. Which bit do I grease the silver tip?
Thanks given by:
No, you want to grease the shaft (whey!). What it does is slide in and out (whey!) to control the air moving through the TB when the butterfly is closed, thus adjusting the idle.

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I'll strip it off again tomorrow whey lol and then wd40 it to death.
Thanks given by:
Perhaps use some white spray grease, or LM grease, as WD 40 will eventually dry off and can be damaging to rubber Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(27-06-2013, 05:08 PM)Grant Wrote: Perhaps use some white spray grease, or LM grease, as WD 40 will eventually dry off and can be damaging to rubber Smile

This. I used white grease and worked very well. Dont worry about using WD to clean it though as there is no rubber in them
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Magneti Mareli ICV for substantially cheaper than Peugeot

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/436730100/p/home

Boom
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
That's the kiddy. Just be warned there are two different types; one has the bolt holes offset to the pin, and the other doesn't Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys cheers for the link. Gona grease it up tomorrow see if that helps any if not I may pick up a new one off that site
Thanks given by:
Well I took it off and greased it but I guess iv broke it as now all the car does is rev at 2000rpm constantly. Guess I need a new one
Thanks given by:
First, try resetting the ecu by removing the negative terminal on the battery for 30 mins.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Alright I'll give that a try on Monday when I next free. Just worried now that iv gone and cause another issue. Couldn't understand how cleaning it has made the idling go crazy. Its almost like the valve is stuck open or something lol
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2013, 05:01 PM)lewisdmz Wrote: First, try resetting the ecu by removing the negative terminal on the battery for 30 mins.

Sorry to be a pain, I do appreciate the advice. If I was to replace the icv I'm guessing I still would need to reset the ecu? Or should it just work instantly..
Thanks given by:
I would reset the ecu mate. Just to clear it and start a fresh. I had this problem few weeks ago
Thanks given by:
(29-06-2013, 09:02 AM)Puggie Wrote: I would reset the ecu mate. Just to clear it and start a fresh. I had this problem few weeks ago

Good to know thanks. Is it just as simple as disconnecting the negative side of the battery? I'm not very mechanical as you can tell lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah as said leave it off for 30 mins to an hour an the memory in the ecu blanks as there is no power for the storage Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(29-06-2013, 09:32 AM)Grant Wrote: Yeah as said leave it off for 30 mins to an hour an the memory in the ecu blanks as there is no power for the storage Smile

Cool well I'll give it ago and report back, just gona hope it works lol
Thanks given by:
dont just remove the ICV motor, remove the plastic body it mounts too as well, clean this too as this is the bit that carbons up
Thanks given by:
(29-06-2013, 10:28 AM)cully Wrote: dont just remove the ICV motor, remove the plastic body it mounts too as well, clean this too as this is the bit that carbons up

Yeah I gave that a good clean too. Just random how the revs have got messed up. But I'll try the reset on Monday and go from there. Hopefully nothing else has got messed up lol
Thanks given by:
Sorry to report chaps but the ecu reset did nothing. Still idles at 2000rpm. If you give it any revs it goes up and sometimes sticks and others drops back to 2000. Sometimes it starts at normal revs but slowly goes up on its own. Fells like the valve is stuck or something.
Thanks given by:
I'd be stripling the the icv, giving a really thorough clean and grease up, clean out the pipe that comes off the icv, also cleaning the butterfly valve making sure that is getting stuck slightly. Also check throttle cable is connected right.
Also check you actually plugged the icv back in and done the bolts up nice and tight. Also check the o ring seal it has and make sure it's all together correct
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2013, 01:44 PM)Matt Wrote: I'd be stripling the the icv, giving a really thorough clean and grease up, clean out the pipe that comes off the icv, also cleaning the butterfly valve making sure that is getting stuck slightly. Also check throttle cable is connected right.
Also check you actually plugged the icv back in and done the bolts up nice and tight. Also check the o ring seal it has and make sure it's all together correct
Thanks I'll strip it off again tomorrow then. I haven't touched the throttle it is brand new cable. When I took it off the first time it was fine but didn't resolve my stalling issue. It has only been since I took it off again and pulled the black sleeve back to crease the shaft that this new problem has appeared. Thinking maybe I have damaged it or something
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Erratic idle GTi6 rocker8742 18 3,420 02-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Last Post: PocketFighter
  Idle issue. luke89 2 1,024 14-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Last Post: xudlingo
  Gti6 idling issue kentiiboii 10 2,161 11-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Last Post: kentiiboii