205 STDT - Restoration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
205 STDT - Restoration
So, just picked up this today: pistonheads ad. Will get some pics of our own up once she's had a wash.

It's only as a daily for the missus, but i also wanted an investment and one of these matched both our requirements nicely. Got it for £775 in the end, an identical one on ebay went for £1,120 yesterday, so pretty pleased with that result. Especially since they're two of the only three non-sorned STDTs for sale i've seen on the net in the last 5 weeks, and believe me when i say i've been looking everywhere lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That's epic! Paid a decent price for it too man Smile
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
cool!

needs booooost
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
On a first look she seems sound enough, only a few areas with rust appearing - around the panel joins at the front, on the rear boot floor join and under the nsr footwell. The sunroof glass is bowed and the mechanism needs a refresh as it doesn't wind down if you fully extend it. Front shocks could do with replacing, as could the rear tyres. One injector is leaking up from around the base, the glow plug relay is missing and there's a minor oil leak down the back of the block. Oh, and tye battery light is on. That's pretty much it apart from minor niggles like a permamently locked glovebox or the sticky mech on the drivers seat lever.

The plan is to fix all the immediate issues so Charli has a reliable daily, first up being the sunroof. Next will be a full strip down: grind out and treat the rust patches, welding as required, then full underseal and waxoyl underneath and respray the engine bay. Engine will get a health check, sort that injector and any weepy gaskets, then new aux belts and fluids.

For once this is a project of mine that should have regular updates, as this first stage needs to be complete by the end of August.

Yeah man, really chuffed. That was with no tax mind, but still. Smile

Has perfectly adequate boost. :p Although it has already occured to me that if the turbo's knackered a gt15 would be nice on one of these...

Forgot to mention it needs a new exhaust too, but that shouldn't be an issue with all these old bits of hdi pipe lying around lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Looks beaut! Real nice colour too
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Am I missing something here??? I see no pics????

/uselessprojectthread

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Click the link you penis
Thanks given by:
I struggled to see a link even after you pointed it out lol I had no hope of seeing it before lol

Thanks given by:
Amazing!

So glad you bought this!

Looks a minter too!
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Lovely looking 205 there
Just sold my 205 Gti exactly the same colour as yours lol

[Image: A1678516-FE79-4571-8892-36F5F4FDED09-118...E2A70E.jpg]
Thanks given by:
mines crying for a fmic lol
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys, isn't as pretty close up if i'm honest. Still love it though. Big Grin

Anyone recommend any decent forums for these?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
205drivers? Sure that's it?

Heard its alreeet. Prob get more info on here though lol
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
nice buy dude, is it the xud7 or had the xud9 swap?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Its Xud7 judging by the picture in the ad
Perfect for a xud9 though
looks nice!
Thanks given by:
Awesome dude, crying out for an XUD9 though
Thanks given by:
Sweet! Keep the engine in! Tuning that would be epic! Holla if you want a hand with anything. X
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Looks lovely dude, still wish I hadve bought that one :/ jealous now
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thought that's probably the case Matt, got to be worth a look about though. Getting parts is going to be the hardest job i think, so want as many options as possible.

It's an XUD7 and staying that way for now lol, if/when it does need a new engine she'll probably be getting 1.6HDi'd.

Cheers Ginge, well i'll be working on it every weekend from now until August, you're welcome to come over any time. Big Grin

Gave the car a long run this morning, didn't find any other issues apart from notchy steering, felt really good otherwise in fact better than expected. Charli has decided to name the car Letty... So today Charli gave Letty a brief clean inside and out, just getting rid of the worst of the muck. The full monty will be happening once we've done all the potentially messy work underneath and in the engine bay, so this will do for now:

[Image: DSC_0347_zpsb75fa71a.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0346_zps42d543a1.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0345_zps8afb22f1.jpg]

I spent my time taking the lights out and trying to fix the sunroof. Dismantling the mechanism and found a thick layer of metal shavings around a near-smooth drive gear, cracked frame, shredded boot and sticking screw... Did the obvious and ripped it all out to be replaced with cable ties, sunroof is now closed. Or at least as close to closed as the bowed glass will allow. Rolleyes Whole new assembly is in the post already lol.

[Image: DSC_0348_zps631693a0.jpg]

One blowing injector, must look into how to sort that.

[Image: DSC_0351_zps044c6b12.jpg]

Tomorrow the light clusters will be refreshed - clean lenses and reflectors, replace any knackered bulbs, refresh rubber seals and clean connections. Trying to think of little jobs i can do to tidy it up, as i'm bugger all use at the moment thanks to issues with my back. Bored as hell, so next update will be soon!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
looks so awesome dude, ill try and pop down to be helpful one weekend soon (when i have 1 off)
Thanks given by:
If you need any advice on FMIC that engine feel free to ask me, it's not as simple as it may appear unfortunately.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2013, 07:17 PM)Poodle Wrote: if/when it does need a new engine she'll probably be getting 1.6HDi'd.

Yes! Big Grin i reckon an engine like that has so much potential in a car like this
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2013, 07:17 PM)Poodle Wrote: Cheers Ginge, well i'll be working on it every weekend from now until August, you're welcome to come over any time. Big Grin

ThumbsUp shall do! will let you know!
Thanks given by:
Looks good man, like the colour. The sunroof on these always seems to be an issue, my mates old XS had problems too
Thanks given by:
I've managed to cure leaky injectors like that by whipping them out, smearing copper slip around the sides below the threads then back in with new copper washers/fire seals
Thanks given by:
It's Charli's car and she says no modifying, so that's that. (At least it is as far as she's concerned anyway, she's bound to go on holiday some time and then, well, who knows what might happen ninja )

Go on Chris, may as well get some benefit from the engine change before you sell her. :p

Cheers man, colour is awesome imo, got quite a bit of blue in it in rl. Sunroof is a pita, but as you say it's a common problem - i assumed it would be so not that worried.

Thanks Sam, i'll try that when the engine's out.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(18-06-2013, 08:52 PM)Sambarker Wrote: I've managed to cure leaky injectors like that by whipping them out, smearing copper slip around the sides below the threads then back in with new copper washers/fire seals

would this also work with a leaky inlet line - my banjo's copper washer seems to have a leak.
Thanks given by:
It looks a lot better than that silver one we went to see anyway! Just remembered haha
Thanks given by:
It most certainly does that Curt, that thing was a mess lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
so so sooooo jealous of this, apart from the interior that is Tongue

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ebay E36 Restoration Project me-tm 8 2,973 20-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Last Post: me-tm
  Peugeot 205 STDT Farmer-Glen 20 6,374 17-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  My STDT Project... Goose 6 1,991 21-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31