Resistance on steering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resistance on steering
So, basically when you are at a slow pace or stand still and you turn the steering wheel, either side of dead centre it feels like something is trying to stop you turning, then sort of releases as you keep turning and becomes free again, until you get to the opposite side.
It only does this just slightly either side of centre, as illustrated by this amazing artwork:

\--|--/

The straight line being dead centre.
There's no noise when it happens, it just feels like something is stopping you from making it then freeing up.

I've checked where possible, looked for shit stuck on steering rack or whatever.. nothing there. What else would cause this?
Thanks given by:
Your swaughans are hungry?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
You being parked against a kerb trying to turn the wheels, then snapping a track rod causing it to free up again?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2013, 03:45 PM)Grant Wrote: You being parked against a kerb trying to turn the wheels, then snapping a track rod causing it to free up again?

No I'm not against a kerb!
Thanks given by:
Any noises from the PAS pump when you turn the wheel? Checked the level of the PAS fluid? Sounds similar to mine was when it was only running on what was left in the lines and i lost all PAS in corners....helpful!
Funnily enough this was shortly before my PAS ram literally exploded on a roundabout sending me in the wrong direction..... have fun Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
No the PAS level is full, I topped it up before the MOT as it was basically empty.
Great, really look forward to that then.
Thanks given by:
So do you have a PAS leak if it was neary empty? Could be air in the lines and the pump pushing fluid through to get the steering back light again

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2013, 03:53 PM)Grant Wrote: So do you have a PAS leak if it was neary empty? Could be air in the lines and the pump pushing fluid through to get the steering back light again

No leak. Stayed at the same level for 2 weeks now.
Thanks given by:
Did you bleed the system? Go from lock to lock a few times.
Thanks given by:
TRE's arent royally f*cked?

Wishbone ball joints/topmount bearings in good nick?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Wishbones are like 6 months old, top mounts around a year when the coilovers went on, PAS was fine after I put Ed's pump on with no leaks and the level was fine last I checked.

I don't really know what you're on about, so I suggest MTFU. Maybe change your jeans and try again?
Thanks given by:
We have replaced a few of the universal joints that go onto the rack frombthe column at work they sieze up making it hard to sterr every other 90 degrees if that makes sense
Would almost put money on it being that
Thanks given by:
Just remove the PAS completely. Big Grin
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
It sounds like a seized steering rack UJ that connects the column to the rack. Take it off and check it moves freely ThumbsUp
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2013, 09:28 PM)strictly_derv Wrote: It sounds like a seized steering rack UJ that connects the column to the rack. Take it off and check it moves freely ThumbsUp
Years ago on a vauxhall i had the same prob it was the drive shaft cv joint locking the steering and it wasnt making any noisies at all basically the cage cracked
Thanks given by: