Another Newbie thread - Pablito

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Newbie thread - Pablito
Greetings and Salutations to all you lovely people..

My name is Pablito and i am loving the site.

I am looking to get myself a nice little daily driver and am thinking about a GTI.

I am currently running the following motors:

My faithful old rocco.. never let me down.. had her for about 15 years:

[Image: Image0077.jpg]

My family wagon:

[Image: DSCF2037.jpg]

My little baby.. she's running just under 400BHP

[Image: DSCF2119.jpg]

Sooo.... what do you guys think?
Thanks given by:
Awesome garage mate, TBH though for a daily hack I'd be looking at a DERV, either a HDi or an XUD. Both are easy enough to see 140 BHP from them, and IMO in the real world that'll keep up with a GTi6 unless you're thrashing the GTi.

Also, with an XUD you can run it on veg oil with the Bosch fuel pump, £1 per litre motoring FTW!!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Welcome Smile
Nice range of cars you have there!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Welcome! Very nice cars mate, specially the VAG Wink
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys.. i have loads more pics of the zed if your interested?
Thanks given by:
Are you on scooby net at all?[/i]
[Image: image_zps738f3eaa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I was thinking about an HDi Johnny.. I have seen a nice cheap one recently but was worried that it may be a but sluggish in comparison to a 6.. What's the difference in mpg do you think?

Callum, I love my old rocco.. she is just simple and solid. I am actually just in the process of handing her over to a friend who has coveted her since the day he saw it.. and to be fair, he is a proper VAGman and will treat her better than i ever did.

Yeah k3ogh.. I'm on there and a few 300ZX sites too. I got a new rotary polisher about the same time that i got my scoob so i posted a thread on scoobynet of my polishing mission Big Grin

And I'm sorry... I can't help myself... I am actually getting rid of the Zed this summer.. she has done less than 1000 miles since the last MOT but every time i happen upon the old photos i try to find excuses to keep her.... Itwasntme

[Image: DSCF2127.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2074.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Welcome mate. Love the garage a hdi would be alot better than a 6 on mpg i get around the the 40 mpg mark that without a cat and i dnt drive like a granny lol.
Hdi decat midlebox mod soon to be stage1Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
If you want mate, if your near Devon I can take you out in a stage 2 hdi and you'll see how quick these dervs actually are!
Thanks given by:
Welcome
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the welcome guys.. you are most kind.

HDiestate.. i think i may look down that route a bit more positively following some comments on this forum about the diesels.. Can you guys recommend, or explain the difference between types of 306 diesels available? or at least point me in the direction of the threads that will have this covered many times over in the past i'm sure...

Callum, that is a very kind offer.. but you might not be so helpful if you knew that we both covet the same car... lol.. alas, I am unable to get down to Cornwall and your neck of the woods this weekend, so you may win the race Wink
Thanks given by:
Haha, you're after Joe's 6 as well? It's a really really nice car! I went to have a look at it a few days ago, it's perfect Smile

I'm still undecided whether I'll keep my HDi or not. It'd be a real shame to see it go, specially after everything I've done to it, but I want the noise of a perv. I could have a daily runner (perv) and a long distance derv....
Thanks given by:
Educate me brother... Perv?... Derv?....
Thanks given by:
Mate get an XUD!! And keep the zx!! That looks like a monster of a machine! You have a nice assortment of cars there mate, add an XUD to that list Smile
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
Derv - deisel engine road vehicle
Perv - petrol engine road vehicle
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2013, 06:09 PM)DazzaHDI Wrote: Mate get an XUD!! And keep the zx!! That looks like a monster of a machine! You have a nice assortment of cars there mate, add an XUD to that list Smile

Yeah.. she is a beasty.. far too fast for me these days.. every time i drive her I forget how much power and speed she actually has.. spinning up in all sorts of gears and snaking down the road...

However there is nothing like the feeling of being booted in the base of your spine when the turbos really spool up... blink and your at 100.. and still pulling like a train...

put it this way.. I certainly aint no granny have I have never maxed her out yet ....

Oh and why is the XUD so desirable... there are just sooo many different models.. i really should do more research... but that is why i am here Smile
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the club! The ZX looks awesome! I very rarely see them Smile

The XUD is good if you like tinkering and playing around with things yourself, as you can adjust the fuelling and boost manually (mechanical fuel pump and wastegate) to get more power out of it. You can get to 150 very easily with a few choice mods. With a HDi you can get to 160odd with an intercooler, upping the boost and remapping it. The HDi is more economical but can have a few problems in terms of fuelling (pumps can shit themselves) and ECU fault codes, where the XUD has no ECU and every problem you find you can fix with a set of spanners essentially. It's swings and roundabouts really, it just depends what you want out of it!
Thanks given by:
Ahhh.. ok Scott thanks for that.. I think i shall steer clear of "tinkering".. you know what they say... " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.."

I am torn between a 6 and a diesel.. I have been spoiled in the past having always had pretty quick cars.. I want the fuel economy that a diesel brings, but am worried that I will be constantly shouting at the damn thing to hurry up!!

Please forgive the noob questions that I am sure have been answered a hundred times before.. but what sort of performance can you expect to get from the diesels.. likewise... more education please... which are the easiest to "upgrade"?

I look on Parkers and see sooooo many different diesels.. are they all mechanically comparable but with different trims or what?

I have to admit.. there are a few cars up for sale on here at the moment, that look very promising indeed Smile
Thanks given by:
The HDi are the easiest to get up to a stage 1, as pro_steve an do a remap that puts it right up to 125bhp. There are a few others that do remaps, but I can vouch for Steve.

If you want more power, you can go for stage 2, but this will involve fitting a front mount intercooler, uprate the boost pressure and possibly a new clutch. The stage 2 will give you around 150-160bhp. I'm running a stage 2 on a new LuK clutch, but I'll need to fit an uprated one within a few thousand miles.

Anything past stage 2 doesn't really have any set mods, as after that it gets pretty expensive and power gains will vary.

As for the xud's, I have no idea but I'm sure someone can add to this?

I'd say the diesels are easy to get more power from them, and in return you'll still get really good fuel economy.

Http://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk is Steve's website, there's prices there.

Hope this helps

And to add to your question, unless you'll be planning on going above 115mph, the diesels won't disappoint.

On a stage 2, it's very easy to get up to triple figures. The power drops off just about 4000krpm, but that's the map I have. You wouldn't really want to rev it harder than that.
Thanks given by:
Welcome along mate, some nice looking cars Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Well.. i got all impatient and bought a gti6 this evening.. here are a few pics:

[Image: gti62_zps34a1e1e0.jpg]

[Image: gti61_zpse5d96e3b.jpg]

comments and thought are welcome Smile
Thanks given by:
nice that buddy
Thanks given by:
White Gti 6 FTW
Thanks given by:
Very nice mate!! GTi-6 FTW!
Thanks given by:
Nice, Very clean looking collection.
Thanks given by:
Looks nice and clean Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2013, 08:53 PM)Matt Wrote: Looks nice and clean Smile

Well.. it will be soon enough.. check out my "not a project thread" to see what i mean.

Not a Project

I am looking forward to finding a couple of days to really get to work on her... I will do a thread I reckon with all before and after shots for anyone who's interested
Thanks given by:
Welcome aboard Smile

'6 looks good, got to love a Bianca.

We used to have a 300ZX that was running around 350bhp. It was sitting outside my neighbors going green... He originally said he wanted £1500 for it. It sat there for another year, I saw him one day and asked what he would take, "Make me an offer". £200 later... got it running, my Mum used it to run around in, somewhat of a waste lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another Newbie thread... Lego Jon 12 1,471 23-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Lego Jon