Buying a 6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a 6
I'm going to buy Joe's 6 hopefully real soon, and as I've only ever had a derv, what am I looking for engine wise and is there anything common that goes wrong with these?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks given by:
Tapping engine
Thanks given by:
Is it a kind of tapping I'd know if I heard it, or do I really have to listen to it? If that makes any sense?
Thanks given by:
You would be able to hear if it is a tapper but to be honest I think Joe would say if it was
Thanks given by:
All gtis tap a bit. At this sort of age, they have noisy injectors which tap. You can hear them on idle. Tapping because of interference (the bad kind of tapping) gets louder and faster with the revs. Injectors will be drowned out by engine noise when you rev it.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Alot have tappy injectors, don't worry too much about this, its a mechanical tap that sounds like something in the engine is f*cked thats the problem.

Make sure it idles smoothly and accelerates and decelerates cleanly as they are starting to get to the age where they can be plagued by dead sensor issues and these can be a real PITA to track down if more than one is broken (ask Ed)

Make sure its had a cam belt within the last 5 years if not budget for having it done. Clutches are starting to go on them too now so be aware.

Other than that its the usual 306 things but it should feel more like you'd want a standard 306 to feel than any other non gti6 you've driven. If stuff feels loose or wayward id worry.
Thanks given by:
Legends, thanks guys Smile

Hopefully I'll enjoy this 6 as much as I now enjoy driving a stage 2 HDi!
Thanks given by:
Dont think you need to worry buying from a nice cornish chap! Im sure its a bleddy ansome car!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 12:42 PM)callumcull Wrote: Legends, thanks guys Smile

Your only regret will be the fuel bill haha
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 01:13 PM)Tom Wrote: Dont think you need to worry buying from a nice cornish chap! Im sure its a bleddy ansome car!

Yeah he seemed like a really sound guy!

(04-06-2013, 01:43 PM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 12:42 PM)callumcull Wrote: Legends, thanks guys Smile

Your only regret will be the fuel bill haha

Yeahhhh, claiming fuel expenses from work will be a laugh!
Thanks given by:
Erm, It wont feel as fast as the HDi but it'll feel more "together" as a car if you know what i mean, like a better overall package.

Fuel will ra*e you, expect to double your fuel bill.

They are good cars and everyone should own one at some point but I think you'll end up wanting the HDi back after a while once you get sick of noise, flames and lo 20s MPG average.
Thanks given by:
I disagree, '6 feels much faster going through the gears IMO.. as with the HDi unless you've got a bigger blower the power tails off as you rev which ultimately makes it feel slower where as thats where the '6 is getting going
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 02:25 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: I disagree, '6 feels much faster going through the gears IMO.. as with the HDi unless you've got a bigger blower the power tails off as you rev which ultimately makes it feel slower where as thats where the '6 is getting going

Even on a stage 2? I caned it to Cornwall yesterday, I didn't feel it lost power, but didn't really want to push it past 115mph as I was revving the sh*t out of it..... The car felt pretty solid at that speed I'll give the HDi that!
Thanks given by:
Even at stage 2, my HDi is 155hp 270 lb/ft.. if you look on a dyno graph you'll see the power tails off past 3.5k and drops til redline.. where as '6 is the complete opposite, gets going at about 3.5k and is really pulling hard by 5k

top end wise a '6 would eat pretty much any HDi, HDi's especially stage 2 ones are great from 0-100 but past then they NEED a 6th gear tbh..
Thanks given by:
tapping is something you'd notice, and not something this was does, ask Liam when he had a look over this when he was down last, as tbh I wasn't sure when I first bought it.

Clutch never had a problem at all, not sure if its been done I've a mountain of receipts. Only issue I've noticed is occasionally the icv sticks

Not going to lie fuel bill will ra*e you, but its smiles per gallon with a 6 Smile

anything else you want to check out not sure on give me a shout, was good to meet you yesterday.

next time you're down I'll sort my insurance over and show you what midnights saying ...
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 02:25 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: I disagree, '6 feels much faster going through the gears IMO.. as with the HDi unless you've got a bigger blower the power tails off as you rev which ultimately makes it feel slower where as thats where the '6 is getting going

Agree'd with Danny, 6 feels sooo much quicker than a stage 1 HDI,

But as every one has said about tapping everything eles is just what you'd look for on any other car/306 really

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
callumcull go look through my project thread it starts off with exactly your question Wink

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-13188.html

main expensive things to look for i have found
clutch
beam
cambelt
arch rust
insurance
Thanks given by:
Gosh can't believe no one had warned him about the dreaded racoon filter.
You call your selfs a car forum to help others
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Joe - I'll look forward to that!

Cully - Will have a read of that later!

And raccoon filter, whassat? Sounds ominous.....
Thanks given by:
He's taking the piss mate Wink
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 04:15 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: He's taking the piss mate Wink

So, what is a raccoon filter anyway? You could tell me anything and I'd be none the wiser, know absolutely FA about pervs
Thanks given by:
It doesn't exist lol
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 04:16 PM)callumcull Wrote:

So, what is a raccoon filter anyway? You could tell me anything and I'd be none the wiser, know absolutely FA about pervs

Ask Ed
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 04:33 PM)Frosty Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 04:16 PM)callumcull Wrote:

Ask Ed

Lol yeah eds your man
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 03:49 PM)puglove Wrote:

Agree'd with Danny, 6 feels sooo much quicker than a stage 1 HDI,

But as every one has said about tapping everything eles is just what you'd look for on any other car/306 really

Of course it's going to be faster than a stage 1!
Thanks given by:
GTi's are faster than any "stage 1" diesel 306, XUD or HDi.

As soon as you go past "stage 1" and start fitting bigger blowers to them, GTi's quickly become unimpressive by comparison. I've gone from three years of GTi ownership to one year of XUD ownership, with the current blower and 9mm pump it's maybe a bit slower than Jonny's HDi, with the potential for so much more, and that's SO much more fun to drive than the GTi ever was.

BUT..

The GTi I could abuse and not worry about hoses popping, heads lifting, EGT's melting stuff, it was pretty much trouble free hooning, whereas the diesels you feel like you've one eye on a gauge at all times, the GTi's you can jut belt it when you feel like it and 99% of the time nothing will go wrong.

Personally, I say diesels for the win. I do like a nice bwarp from a GTi but the diesel has the grin factor the GTi never really gave me.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
get one of each Big Grin
hdi st1 daily 46mpg
Gti6 weekend toy 1,000,000 Smiles per gallon
Thanks given by:
Think the problem is, a lot of the derv lot here always slate the gti for being slow but in reality, its still quite a quick car. A tuned derv (excluding the likes of mental darren projects) feels quick but in reality they arent. Granted, speed doesnt really matter. As long as it feels quick, it should be good fun which is the main thing.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 06:12 PM)Niall Wrote: Think the problem is, a lot of the derv lot here always slate the gti for being slow but in reality, its still quite a quick car. A tuned derv (excluding the likes of mental darren projects) feels quick but in reality they arent. Granted, speed doesnt really matter. As long as it feels quick, it should be good fun which is the main thing.

Well said ThumbsUp

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 05:23 PM)cully Wrote: get one of each Big Grin
hdi st1 daily 46mpg
Gti6 weekend toy 1,000,000 Smiles per gallon

I'm thinking that! I really really really don't want to sell my HDi after all the work I've done to her. I think it'd be a real shame to loose her. It's amazing the attachment you can gain to a car you've done loads to.

That and I wouldn't trust anyone else to have her, I reckon she'll stay with me.

Haha I sound so lame!
Thanks given by: