MG ZR: Cams & Maps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG ZR: Cams & Maps
(20-09-2013, 04:35 PM)Niall Wrote: Original gti cat is about £380 so thats stupidly expensive unless they have one of them silly twin cat things (doubt it at that age)

Hmm, just checked servicebox.... 1.8 16v cat £700 + vat.... GTi cat is only £560 + vat oddly!

ZRs do use two cats, but the top one (on the mani) isn't a 'proper' cat. The scrappy don't give much for it anyway!
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2013, 06:09 PM)Jimmyboycheck Wrote: Imo gearbox ratio plays a big part. I think you need to look at a 6 speed conversion plus power or a fair bit of power alone around the 200 mark
Don't know of any 6 speed options for this engine though :/

(20-09-2013, 06:16 PM)Anton Wrote: Do they have a close ratio box? I had the same engine in a Coupe and it wasnt.

1st=40mph
2nd=70mph
3rd=100mph
4th=125mph

Apparently so in the adverts, think it was part of the whole zr is sports model. Since the steering rack is different so the turning circle is a pile of wank
Yours would have been a 143 engine no?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Yeah it was, but honestly not that much different.....
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Don't mean to offend bud! But I don't think ιt will ever be what the title of the thread is!, I have been in a couple of these ɑnd I don't think they are anywhere near claimed power, ɑnd puttting a stock 6 next to a stock one of these, handling wise ιs ludicrous, ιts a nice car don't get me wrong!! But Barry mcguigan would never beat Tyson
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2013, 07:13 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Barry mcguigan would never beat Tyson

He would if Tyson's arms were tied Tongue

They're not that quick really, I had a non turbo one before I strapped the turbo on and I wasn't impressed..with a turbo though...wow!
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2013, 06:44 PM)Anton Wrote: Yeah it was, but honestly not that much different.....

correct, the "160" block is stronger than the 143 block, I think its either the head, pistons or the valves.
also the ecu is different and the injectors. more to do with the emissions.

(20-09-2013, 06:06 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Procta leave the posh rover 200 alone Tongue we don't all want to crumple up into a tin can when we crash *cough* metro *cough*

steve i think iam gonna piss on your bombfire here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my6nnePPzDY

these are 1.4 16v metros by the way. catching a few posh 160 bhp rover 200s Tongue
so the shell is still at fault Tongue
Thanks given by:
I think that's decided it tbh Steve, turbo it is.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
This is really bugging me ha. Want to go out in to see how it is.

Been looking at stats and this weighs the same as my Rover Coupe, in standard form they are known to do 0-60 in the low 7's. I was always under the impression that the 143's made a bit more and the 160's made a bit less. Not much difference in them at all...
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(20-09-2013, 07:13 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Don't mean to offend bud! But I don't think ιt will ever be what the title of the thread is!, I have been in a couple of these ɑnd I don't think they are anywhere near claimed power, ɑnd puttting a stock 6 next to a stock one of these, handling wise ιs ludicrous, ιts a nice car don't get me wrong!! But Barry mcguigan would never beat Tyson
That's why I've picked the 6' to go up against, as standard the 306 is a pretty good all rounder and I wanted to see if with some suspension/chassis work I could get the brit to beat his French rival. for example the additional rear anti roll bar and looking into seeing if I can use the uni lab for machine work. As I say in terms of power it's going to have to be the rolling road day to see what it's pushing, if it is the claimed power I have no idea what i'd do.
(20-09-2013, 07:17 PM)devils_fuel Wrote:
(20-09-2013, 07:13 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Barry mcguigan would never beat Tyson

He would if Tyson's arms were tied Tongue

They're not that quick really, I had a non turbo one before I strapped the turbo on and I wasn't impressed..with a turbo though...wow!
Was that the t series engine? or did you turbo a k series?
(20-09-2013, 08:58 PM)Poodle Wrote: I think that's decided it tbh Steve, turbo it is.

I would love to but hearing a lot of people saying that turboing a k series is a lot of work when you could just swap out and put in a t series turbo. That and I'm interested in the vvc system if I could get it to keep working despite the extra power it would be fun to show up a tyre r and his veeeeteeecccc. Although we know that will never happen

(20-09-2013, 07:32 PM)procta Wrote:
(20-09-2013, 06:44 PM)Anton Wrote: Yeah it was, but honestly not that much different.....

correct, the "160" block is stronger than the 143 block, I think its either the head, pistons or the valves.
also the ecu is different and the injectors. more to do with the emissions.

(20-09-2013, 06:06 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Procta leave the posh rover 200 alone Tongue we don't all want to crumple up into a tin can when we crash *cough* metro *cough*

steve i think iam gonna piss on your bombfire here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my6nnePPzDY

these are 1.4 16v metros by the way. catching a few posh 160 bhp rover 200s Tongue
so the shell is still at fault Tongue

can a crisp packet catch up to a brick basically? lol the posh 200 shell is at fault but its so darn comfy I cant give it up

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
I will give you at its more comfy.
Thanks given by:
Bit of an update:

Nothing new added but currently working on designing rear strut brace/ sourcing a rear arb. Just trying to get the university labs to make me a bracket without admitting it's not a uni project.
And also in regards to the lack of power it could be due to the discovery of having a 56mm throttle...which is from a t series turbo engine.
It seems that bigger is not better and changing the 52mm throttle to a 56mm causes high end power loss and apparently if you open the throttle fully you have less acceleration than when 3/4 open. on power graphs people claim it kills the power heavily after 6k rpm whereas the 52mm holds strong til limiter
The only benefit people seem to claim is more torque below 2k but then im never down that low so I won't miss it Tongue

Thanks given by:
Oh dear, heard the story so many times!
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
with people putting on 56 throttles?

Thanks given by:
Yeah. The 160 had a slightly larger body than the 143 so people upgraded it. Only added like 1-2bhp but throttle response improved.

Then all the chavs in their ZR's started changing to the turbo body and it was proven to actually lose power. Search around but theres a guy who tested all three back to back.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
So, all this effort to try and beat a '6, while not beating a '6 yet....

and while looking like, well, an MG driver...

When you buying a '6?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2013, 03:22 PM)Anton Wrote: Yeah. The 160 had a slightly larger body than the 143 so people upgraded it. Only added like 1-2bhp but throttle response improved.

Then all the chavs in their ZR's started changing to the turbo body and it was proven to actually lose power. Search around but theres a guy who tested all three back to back.
Yea, hoping to get a 52mm in time for the rolling road day. Might see if I can do a run with it on and one with the 56mm see the difference.

(30-09-2013, 03:29 PM)samass Wrote: So, all this effort to try and beat a '6, while not beating a '6 yet....

and while looking like, well, an MG driver...

When you buying a '6?

Never, don't get me wrong the 306 is a nice car but ..I'm just bored of them, dull interior and that. Really didn't put a smile on my face when driving the hdi, maybe a gti6 would be different but i'd rather try something else. maybe a type r...

But don't you worry sam, this will beat a gti6. After all I managed to overtake poodle at combe ;D

Thanks given by:
steve, you need to change the shell! I have told you that many a time, The posh 25 just isn't up to the power of the vvc Tongue what you need is a proper rover Tongue like what I have Tongue
Thanks given by:
The shell stays. May bot he a proper rover but id prefer if i wasn't so involved in being a crumple zone if i crash Wink

I am contemplating making it more lightweight in the future , thanks to some pushong from ladystee to make it more race car

Thanks given by:
(01-10-2013, 11:50 AM)lolsteve Wrote: The shell stays. May bot he a proper rover but id prefer if i wasn't so involved in being a crumple zone if i crash Wink

I am contemplating making it more lightweight in the future , thanks to some pushong from ladystee to make it more race car

That's the 80s and 90s for you Wink
the mgcc is at Snetterton this weekend.
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2013, 03:29 PM)samass Wrote: So, all this effort to try and beat a '6, while not beating a '6 yet....

and while looking like, well, a old man in a rover driver...

EFA lol

there isnt much flow difference between 80/100% open anyway with the butterfly, so makes sense that the high flowing engine doesnt want such a huge intake.

same with exhausts, too fat and you get good low down grunt, but tend to kill top end speed/power
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2013, 12:37 PM)procta Wrote:
(01-10-2013, 11:50 AM)lolsteve Wrote: The shell stays. May bot he a proper rover but id prefer if i wasn't so involved in being a crumple zone if i crash Wink

That's the 80s and 90s for you Wink
the mgcc is at Snetterton this weekend.
Ah so much going on this weekend, too far though sadly. would be near £70 in fuel for me Sad

(01-10-2013, 12:50 PM)Piggy Wrote:

and while looking like, well, a old man in a rover driver...

EFA lol

there isnt much flow difference between 80/100% open anyway with the butterfly, so makes sense that the high flowing engine doesnt want such a huge intake.

same with exhausts, too fat and you get good low down grunt, but tend to kill top end speed/power

Yea, low down grunt is nice and all but the k series is a revvy lil bastard that enjoys bouncing off the limiter. like a kid pumped on up e number jumping on a fat chick .. or something

Thanks given by:
...or something!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Flol, stop poncing and get it mapped already. :p
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
supercharged.. then mapped
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Just drop a k series turbo in it, £250 mapping from z and f and your looking around 195 - 200 bhp ( although mine ran 190bhp but I pulled the engine out of a high miler)
Thanks given by:
The crowd are demanding a remap then Tongue just seems so expensive when compared to the hdi mapping of £60 or whatever

Engine swaps aren't ideal for me since I have a communal parking space this year and a tight budget since my landlord asked for 6 months worth of rent in one go Sad

Thanks given by:
Then it's settled, strip it to f*ck lol
Thanks given by:
ninja

Ladysteve has been telling me to get buckets and strip it out for a little while now..

Thanks given by:
Winning, get it done!
Thanks given by:
Not worth remapping...
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by: