MG ZR: Cams & Maps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG ZR: Cams & Maps
Rofl
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Haha okay well I'm not going for a metro. The zr shell is light enough (yes it is procta!)

Sprayed up the cam cover this weekend out of bordem, wanted to strip all the paint off and leave it shiney and ali looking but couldn't get the paint off and paint strippers seem to do next to nothing. hoping this also fixes the oil leak problem as well as I cleaned up the surfaces a bit as they had something lumpy dried on where the gasket goes so that should seal a bit better now
Also whilst under the bonnet I tightened up the throttle cable as well after remembering seeing a video on YouTube about it earlier (engineeringexplained I think), used a obd reader and torque to monitor the throttle % input so I could adjust it perfectly and not mess with the idle speed. Will know if it's made any difference tomorrow on the drive to work. Pumping the throttle on the drive way it already seems more tight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqOuYcCjLCU

Still working on the mapping as well in my spare time, learning more and more everytime although it always seems like I never truly understand it 

Oh and the shell I was eyeing up has gone, along with another one I was going to bid on Sad
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2015, 08:37 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Haha okay well I'm not going for a metro. The zr shell is light enough (yes it is procta!)

Sprayed up the cam cover this weekend out of bordem, wanted to strip all the paint off and leave it shiney and ali looking but couldn't get the paint off and paint strippers seem to do next to nothing. hoping this also fixes the oil leak problem as well as I cleaned up the surfaces a bit as they had something lumpy dried on where the gasket goes so that should seal a bit better now
Also whilst under the bonnet I tightened up the throttle cable as well after remembering seeing a video on YouTube about it earlier (engineeringexplained I think), used a obd reader and torque to monitor the throttle % input so I could adjust it perfectly and not mess with the idle speed. Will know if it's made any difference tomorrow on the drive to work. Pumping the throttle on the drive way it already seems more tight

Still working on the mapping as well in my spare time, learning more and more everytime although it always seems like I never truly understand it 

Oh and the shell I was eyeing up has gone, along with another one I was going to bid on Sad

who you trying to kid steve! they are heavy motors! these got their arses handed to them by a metro cup driver. I can show you an in car video if you like Tongue

for the reshell, why don't you just get your hands on a 1.4 one and do what I did?
Thanks given by:
I'm looking for 1.4's as well there's just so few decent 3dr mk2's about that people don't want the earth for. Doesn't help they keep getting broken for spares as well

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2015, 08:47 PM)procta Wrote:
(11-01-2015, 08:37 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Haha okay well I'm not going for a metro. The zr shell is light enough (yes it is procta!)

who you trying to kid steve! they are heavy motors! these got their arses handed to them by a metro cup driver. I can show you an in car video if you like Tongue

for the reshell, why don't you just get your hands on a 1.4 one and do what I did?

Maybe because not everyone wants a metro and they aren't the be all and end all?

Yeah, i went there
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Amen brother. AMEN!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2015, 08:49 PM)lolsteve Wrote: I'm looking for 1.4's as well there's just so few decent 3dr mk2's about that people don't want the earth for. Doesn't help they keep getting broken for spares as well

Its the way things are now sadly for these, I recon these are starting to go like the coupe did, more parts than there is cars on the road now. That happened to the A series metros, sadly the K series ones like mine, may just die out. As there wasn't much support for the rover ones.
If you do get a Decent shell, Sell this one to the ZR racers. as they will be sort after for re bodying.

(11-01-2015, 09:01 PM)Niall Wrote:
(11-01-2015, 08:47 PM)procta Wrote:

Maybe because not everyone wants a metro and they aren't the be all and end all?

Yeah, i went there

(11-01-2015, 09:02 PM)Piggy Wrote: Amen brother. AMEN!

I am winding him up you two Tongue He is a fellow rover brother
Thanks given by:
Don't think the racing lot will want this, nothing special about it especially after I rip all the goodies off it Tongue

Think I've 95% cracked the mapping now, only one fuel map remains which I'm pretty sure I know what it is but can't tell whether its values are for end or start of injection. Most aftermarket seem to be end but would like to be sure.
Going to swing by a rolling road place after work to discuss some stuff and see if we can come to an agreement on prices as I might need their facilities fairly often ninja  

Also not really car related but having my laser eye surgery consultation on Friday so will have better vision than ever soon enough which will be nice as I can see more of the track Big Grin  

Thanks given by:
(14-01-2015, 01:00 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Don't think the racing lot will want this, nothing special about it especially after I rip all the goodies off it Tongue

Think I've 95% cracked the mapping now, only one fuel map remains which I'm pretty sure I know what it is but can't tell whether its values are for end or start of injection. Most aftermarket seem to be end but would like to be sure.
Going to swing by a rolling road place after work to discuss some stuff and see if we can come to an agreement on prices as I might need their facilities fairly often ninja  

Also not really car related but having my laser eye surgery consultation on Friday so will have better vision than ever soon enough which will be nice as I can see more of the track Big Grin  

doesn't make any difference, they will just add their stuff to it,
Thanks given by:
Stopped off at the rolling road place/garage on the way home last night and ended up chatting away with the oweer til after closing time. He's interested in seeing what can be done with the mapping as he's dabbled in it before but with live mapping software and aftermarket ecu so a bit easier to do than read, write, repeat. He also had an old MG B in there getting a reworked engine along with some jap drift looking car.
I'm really enjoying learning to do the mapping at the moment as part of the fun being that since so few people touch there ecus there's very little help in the sense of guides or people going yea that's that. Having to figure it out myself and I might be wrong which is keeping my interest as I'm having to keep looking back over it again and come up with new ideas.
For example I thought I had the duty cycle sussed out through calculations etc but forum lot are saying their mg tf s at 170 hp are running 85& duty cycle about the limitn of the injectors whereas I'm finding the stock cycle to be about 60%

Thanks given by:
(15-01-2015, 02:41 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Stopped off at the rolling road place/garage on the way home last night and ended up chatting away with the oweer til after closing time. He's interested in seeing what can be done with the mapping as he's dabbled in it before but with live mapping software and aftermarket ecu so a bit easier to do than read, write, repeat. He also had an old MG B in there getting a reworked engine along with some jap drift looking car.
I'm really enjoying learning to do the mapping at the moment as part of the fun being that since so few people touch there ecus there's very little help in the sense of guides or people going yea that's that. Having to figure it out myself and I might be wrong which is keeping my interest as I'm having to keep looking back over it again and come up with new ideas.
For example I thought I had the duty cycle sussed out through calculations etc but forum lot are saying their mg tf s at 170 hp are running 85& duty cycle about the limitn of the injectors whereas I'm finding the stock cycle to be about 60%

I think the Mems 3 never really got the chance to be played with sadly, as with rover going out like that, the sport side of things went over too, which used to do the performance side of things for the Rovers. A bit of a pain in the arse that its took nearly 10 years for someone to start to play with the Mems3 properly.
the thing with these is the pressure regulators, you can play that you know, As they used to swop that with a programmable one. Not sure how much they are, but that will help you with the fueling side.
Also the metro cup lads were starting to run the mems 3 units, too I think I told you? Now they have had to revert them to emerad ECUs, as there was a bit up roar if the mems3 unit was giving people the upper hand mapping wise.
You really need to get your arse down to a MGCC round and talk to the lads in person about these. They will be more than happy to talk to you. They were well helpful to me.  
Thanks given by:
Well the bonus of that is there's less competition for selling maps Wink which is the plan if I can prove what I'm doing has some positive benefits

There's an article on adding a adjustable pressure regulator to the k
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/fue...ulator.htm
More pressure does not = more power

Seems a little backwards doesnt it telling them to use aftermarket instead of oem parts haha

Might go see them some day but right now I need a replacement for this. The windscreen crack is growing everyday, the boot is full of water and the inside is always steamed up or frozen. Unfortunately the car I was going to look at is apparently being buried under all this snow so the seller has advised we postpone the viewing although I still need to get it back and mot'd and can't do it friday/saturday because of laser eyes. So much to do and so little time and would rather not be using up all my holiday days in the first month of the year 

Thanks given by:
i think the k series cars will have to run one map only, so there isn't any ecu trickery.
have you not looked at other shells? see if you can get hold of a rover 25 and swop the full works over, ( be a great sleeper that mind)

the adjustable pressure regulator, some of the metro cup lads run those, so they must gain something, i might enquire about that tbh, as you cannot always trust the info on rovers online.
Thanks given by:
Careful with adjustable fuel pressure regs, they can self adjust and destroy things.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2015, 10:20 PM)adam b Wrote: Careful with adjustable fuel pressure regs, they can self adjust and destroy things.

i remember watching a mg metro cup race, the lad who was winning, ran out of fuel. That was due to his adjustable fuel reg, deciding to change.
Thanks given by:
Got a new shell...although it's still with the old owner as the alternator and battery is dead and we couldn't get a new battery on. 
Only 500 and the owner seems happy it's going to people who will look after it rather than a garage looking for a quick buck

Thanks given by:
ah so you are doing a procta then! just beware of these later motors are not as good as your model for build quality sadly.
My cousin and my mates dad have both got 04 plater rovers, and they are well knackered before their time.
your old shell id be looking to sell on to the MGZR 160 boys, as they will use it to race or re body another racer.
Thanks given by:
Whats the plan then??

take all the good bits from the blue one?

Secretly really glad you stayed with rovers as never see one on track and always makes me smile when I see it at combe Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2015, 10:47 PM)7057sam Wrote: Whats the plan then??

Secretly really glad you stayed with rovers as never see one on track and always makes me smile when I see it at combe Smile

you need to go to an mgcc event, there are loads of these raced, in fact as I said to steve, I think most of the 160 versions were bought up and used a racers, as there are not many vvc ones on the road compared to the 1.4 versions.
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2015, 10:12 PM)procta Wrote: ah so you are doing a procta then!  just beware of these later motors are not as good as your model for build quality sadly.
My cousin and my mates dad have both got 04 plater rovers, and they are well knackered before their time.
your old shell id be looking to sell on to the MGZR 160 boys, as they will use it to race or re body another racer.
Oh yea the build quality is hilariously poor compared to my early mk1 but it's just so much more modern looking. Won't feel as silly driving it about as it's not as "offensive". 
I'm tempted to sell it whole if I can find someone whos willing to let it live on for a bit rather than just breaking for parts as I've had some good memories in it from all the shows, leaving university, moving into my first proper place and getting a job.

(24-01-2015, 10:47 PM)7057sam Wrote: Whats the plan then??

Plan is first get a mot on it so I can drive it for work, then start swapping the good bits (exhaust, strut brace, brakes etc) onto it like you say. Should be doable before castle combe in april

Makes a change from seeing ep3 civic after ep3 civic on track Wink
It's nice to hear you like seeing it though, also what time do you have for track in april? as I still want to bag a passenger ride if thats alright?

Thanks given by:
you know something, when I compared the 1.1s and the gta, I found the 1.1s is better built and the quality is better, and there are only a year difference!
if you shell is better, than why don't you just gut the sliver one for its panels and face lift yours.
get a price on the replacement panels that you want to paint up and your away.
Thanks given by:
What is it with alternators on these!? That's what failed with the one here, and so many pop up on ebay with battery/charging faults! Confused Are people removing the exhaust shield and frying them or something?
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2015, 11:13 AM)Toms306 Wrote: What is it with alternators on these!?  That's what failed with the one here, and so many pop up on ebay with battery/charging faults! Confused  Are people removing the exhaust shield and frying them or something?

they are getting on a bit tom, lol, mind they are a bastard to change! On mine, I have to take the front end to bits, just to get access!
Thanks given by:
Underseal it, something Rover never bothered to do. Build quality on the Mk2 ZR/ZS was utterly appalling.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2015, 04:47 PM)procta Wrote:
(25-01-2015, 11:13 AM)Toms306 Wrote: What is it with alternators on these!?  That's what failed with the one here, and so many pop up on ebay with battery/charging faults! Confused  Are people removing the exhaust shield and frying them or something?

they are getting on a bit tom, lol, mind they are a bastard to change! On mine, I have to take the front end to bits, just to get access!

It had a replacement alternator just 6 months before going of the road lol. Fortunately this one is easy being a 1.4 in a ZR, loads of space lol.
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2015, 12:17 AM)procta Wrote: you know something, when I compared the 1.1s and the gta, I found the 1.1s is better built and the quality is better, and there are only a year difference!
if you shell is better, than why don't you just gut the sliver one for its panels and face lift yours.
get a price on the replacement panels that you want to paint up and your away.
Well I kind of like the idea of having a 04 plate car too. Means it's newer than my mums fiesta and that just appeals to me for some weird reason Tongue 

(25-01-2015, 07:23 PM)C2K Wrote: Underseal it, something Rover never bothered to do. Build quality on the Mk2 ZR/ZS was utterly appalling.
Planning too at some point, my friend is going to do his ZS soon so we'll do it together as I want this to last for a bit
His zs is a mk2 and it seems pretty well held together, apparently the previous owner went round the car putting in extra clips in the door cards etc and it feels pretty solid

(25-01-2015, 07:36 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(25-01-2015, 04:47 PM)procta Wrote:

It had a replacement alternator just 6 months before going of the road lol.  Fortunately this one is easy being a 1.4 in a ZR, loads of space lol.
ZR must have some more room then, apparently it can be done without even having to jack the car 

Thanks given by:
they having a laugh! you got to jack the car, how the f*ck are you going to get access to the bottom of the alternator! as there is the adjuster. Thank f*ck I don't bother with rover forums!
Thanks given by:
This was from the zs friend. What adjuster? There's only a auto tensioner that you put a 13(?)mm socket over and rotate to slack the belt off

Also unipart stuff any good?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ROVER-200-2...1e679a3b55

Thanks given by:
You don't have to jack it up, it is just the belt tensioner that can be done from the top. Smile
Thanks given by:
Another cheap blue ZR near me btw.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-mgzr-/111...19fa6ce33d

Think all the blue ones must've come down here lol.
Thanks given by: