MG ZR: Cams & Maps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG ZR: Cams & Maps
I've tried to raise the lower arm with a jack but it's more than hole is just a little too far right.
The coil overs are currently the same height as the lowered springs so should be fine if the springs were okay? As i'm not trying to slam the car just improve the ride. In fact the rear is actually higher at the moment
Also forgot to say that I did the sitting in the boot test and the rear is no longer as bouncy, quite firm actually. Will need to play with adjusting the damping rates no doubt

Also also anyone tried national tyres for tracking? They have a voucher for £15 tracking and since it's a simple setup seems a waste to pay a lot when not all 4 wheels can be adjusted anyway
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2014, 10:05 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Also also anyone tried national tyres for tracking? They have a voucher for £15 tracking and since it's a simple setup seems a waste to pay a lot when not all 4 wheels can be adjusted anyway
I've also one of those and never quite got around to going.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Coilovers are on and so is the drop link. Asked on the mg facebook group and someone suggested loosening the top bolt to get it to move enough, sure enough it worked lol

Although f*cked off right now as took it for a victory test drive and it's bouncy around all over the place even worse than the shock/spring setup Sad

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 09:31 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Coilovers are on and so is the drop link. Asked on the mg facebook group and someone suggested loosening the top bolt to get it to move enough, sure enough it worked lol

Although f*cked off right now as took it for a victory test drive and it's bouncy around all over the place even worse than the shock/spring setup Sad

Lol what did you expect? Coilovers are nearly always crashy in comparison to a decent shock and spring set up!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Get the alignment checked and adjust the dampers till it feels right ThumbsUp

(My Gaz coilies feel so much better than spring n shocks, better ride and better handling!)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No reason decent coilies can't ride nearly as well as shock and spring assemblies, do you know what weight springs are on there?

Also, stop making excuses and sort your brakes out, they clearly weren't up to the job on track. Better suspension just means you'll carry more speed through the corners and need to brake even harder come a tight bend.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ran out this morning at 7:10 to whip the rear wheels off and adjust the dampers. Of course the dial was jammed but enough early morning swearing and can do spirit got them moving. Adjusted to 6 clicks which I assumed was half way as I think perhaps the two sides were on different damping rates. Ride is better now, still a bit bouncy but the rear needs to come down a bit and perhaps more damping. However it doesn't appear as crashy over the bumps which is the ultimate goal although I've still got a underdamped system lol
No idea on the springs as got them second hand and will get the alignment sorted as it's pulling a bit on some of the bumps

Better suspension means I can carry the speed on corners which I would have otherwise needed to brake more for. Don't know what else to do about brakes apart from put back on the standard mintex pads

Thanks given by:
Keep fettling, ive had my coilies on for nearly a month...adjust it nearly every day lol

However its likely you will find you need a sighter lap or too on a track day then come in and adjust!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Get some decent pads on there buddy! Glad to hear the suspension setup is progressing. Mine is still bottoming out when attacking corners hard. Need to get them machined down :/
Thanks given by:
Get what machined down?

Still playing with the damping settings, much better than it was before when it seemed broken. Still quite bouncy but purposely drove over some pot holes yesterday and the front is so much smoother. Just need to stop the back bouncing about making me feel sick lol

Hoping to get the modified ecu files checksum'd soon so can upload onto the ecu and do some testing but struggling to find a way to get the files checked as it's not as common as a bosch or siemens setup

Thanks given by:
Good to see your having some luck with them

Could you use the 4 pots from a mg?think they ap's aswell.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 02:22 PM)7057sam Wrote: Good to see your having some luck with them

Could you use the 4 pots from a mg?think they ap's aswell.

Think this was discussed a couple pages back...

They would fit but are ruddy pricey, the discs alone are £100+ each iirc
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So seems like the rears or at least one of them is buggered *sigh*
The adjustment dials were very stiff as in not doable by hand to rotate either way so with a bit of mechanical aid I got it moving a bit which then resulted in them rotating forever in either direction and were still very stiff. The seller had advertised them as serviced by the previous owner but never got the receipt for it, for now I've put the standard shocks/lowering springs back on the rear as it would be dangerous to drive with the coilovers as they were.
This would also explain why they were so bouncy, as the car would bounce as if it had no damping at all.

Why do all the second hand things I buy turn out to be in wank condition

Thanks given by:
Anything 2nd hand is in wank condition...that's why its much cheaper than new.... Confused
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2014, 04:24 PM)lolsteve Wrote: So seems like the rears or at least one of them is buggered *sigh*
The adjustment dials were very stiff as in not doable by hand to rotate either way so with a bit of mechanical aid I got it moving a bit which then resulted in them rotating forever in either direction and were still very stiff. The seller had advertised them as serviced by the previous owner but never got the receipt for it, for now I've put the standard shocks/lowering springs back on the rear as it would be dangerous to drive with the coilovers as they were.
This would also explain why they were so bouncy, as the car would bounce as if it had no damping at all.

Why do all the second hand things I buy turn out to be in wank condition

Anything to with rover performance wise, don't buy second hand! As I have seen to many threads, that people have been bumped!
your better off buying new trust me, and its a lot less of a f*ck on.
Thanks given by:
That reasoning won't stand up to a healthy interrogation by physics, Steve. lol

Not really pointless, just buy second-hand parts with a mind to refurb before it goes on, sensible practice for any make of car. Steve has effectively got new gaz coilies all round for about £250 by the time he's done, which is still a hell of a lot cheaper tham buying new.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
£250? They cost me £350 to buy and now maybe nearly £100 just to have the rears sorted. Might as well have bought new for £550

What reasoning? sorry got so much on my mind everything is becoming one big annoying blurr
Also the drivers side window is rattling like it's loosening and the handling is shit...so really hate the car now and just want it all to go away

Thanks given by:
£350?! Ouch!

I would giving them back to the guy who sold them to you and get me money back!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2014, 08:30 AM)lolsteve Wrote: £250? They cost me £350 to buy and now maybe nearly £100 just to have the rears sorted. Might as well have bought new for £550

What reasoning? sorry got so much on my mind everything is becoming one big annoying blurr
Also the drivers side window is rattling like it's loosening and the handling is shit...so really hate the car now and just want it all to go away

yeh sorry buddy. It does seem in this case like you should have just bought new. I dont think they were exactly as described though so have a go at getting your money back!
Thanks given by:
Tried remapping today, uploaded a file and the car wouldn't start. Totally shat myself luckily the original file uploaded back on and the car started okay. Want to try some of the other map options but don't want to brick the car Sad

Thanks given by:
As long as you've got the original file, you should be fine. Not sure I'd randomly try maps though, are they from known working cars?
Thanks given by:
I have a map and an original file from a different ecu so I'm using the values/ ratio of change to make a variety of different maps was going to try them

Thanks given by:
(08-11-2014, 06:30 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Tried remapping today, uploaded a file and the car wouldn't start. Totally shat myself luckily the original file uploaded back on and the car started okay. Want to try some of the other map options but don't want to brick the car Sad

why don't you build a throttle boddied K series engine?
Thanks given by:
£350? I thought you paid 160 for some reason, my bad. You're right, that is a bit of a rip. Confused

I meant the reasoning that carrying more speed means less braking. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yea 350...and now I've got to pay 200 for the refurbishment as all the rods needed replacing . Would have only cost 20 more to buy new. Shold have just bought brand new avos instead

Would throttle bodies even be worthwhile as they need a high revving engine? The vvc engine will only be safe to 7450

Thanks given by:
they get some decent power mind, but it all depends on what you want the car to be, As the one I heard didn't like idling, sounded topper mind!
In future steve, anything you buy for your posh rover, performance wise, make sure its new!
Thanks given by:
Yea no more second hand, too much effort and people mess you about. Buy right, buy once. Throttle bodies would be nice but other priorities right now, although did see a homemade inlet for the k series the other day then that someone uses a plastic inlet and whacked on some bike carbs

Think I'm pretty much done with this now. It's not worth any investment as the shell is scrap and being messed around with the coilovers has really killed it for me as I just wanted to have one good track session where it felt like a race car. Although it did well for itself and actually got some approval from a couple of people
It's also happening at a bit of a shitty time for me & ladysteve as we've had no hot water for weeks now and have been showering with the cold tap, an experience you can imagine is not pleasant at this time of year.

However that's not to say I'm done with the kseries, after driving a friends vvc zs the other week I've gotten a new love. The engine is the same old however the hydraulic clutch, superior chassis and better comfort are all very appealing along with it being pretty much a honda there's loads of lower cost suspension improvements that can be done. Besides they're alot better looking in mk2 guise
[Image: P040708_1902.jpg]

Thanks given by:
why don't you pull the engine out of this posh rover, and slot it into a R400? As they are better than the posh rover.
Thanks given by:
Love the look of that ZS...
Thanks given by:
Sorry to hear that dude, i'm going to stick to my original input of; "it's a rover..."

Steve, get onto your letting agents with words like "not fit and proper", "living conditions below legal requirements", "breach of contract and HMO licensing (i assume you're in a shared house..?)" and "taking further action". Follow it immediately with a call to the council, should get it sorted within the week. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: