Low on Power

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low on Power
hi,

my hdi seems low on power, compared to videos ive seen on the net of standard hdi's (e.g. 30 - 70) my car is no where near that quick, it revs to approx 3000rpm then seems to just make noise after that but not much power! is the turbo ment to kick in at 3000??

it could do with a service but its been serviced regularly since ive had it so i dont think its a filter issue, and ive checked the injectors and i have no leaks etc... also no engine management lights and no fault codes. i have however got a noise when accelerating, from what ive read on the net this could be the bottom pulley (although this is just a guess, would this effect acceleration?)

ive read on hear about the MAF sensor could be the reason, but im unsure of how to diagnose a faulty MAF.

also read that it could be a boost leak but again im unsure of how to diagnose this!

sorry for the essay, but any help/advice would be appreciated, sorry if ive left any info out that may help diagnose this !
Thanks given by:
If you look a couple of threads down..:

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-14228.html
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
ok mate cheers, will disconnecting the maf sensor bring up the engine management light ? dont want it going into limp mode!, I will check for boost leaks but will not really sure where im supposed to look haha
Thanks given by:
No it doesnt bring on the eml Smile i unplugged mine and it had a little more acceleration but still wemt flat at 3k. Turned out that ive got an injector leak which im hoping will solve it.. if not, try look for a boost leak
Thanks given by:
ok cool, where would I start looking for a boost leak? assuming a boost leak is found are they an easy fix?
Thanks given by:
Big black pipes at the back of the engine, coming from the turbo. Yeah, will either be a replacement pipe or a jubilee clip thay needs tightening
Thanks given by:
It doesn't bring up the eml on most, but it does on some of the very early hdis. If it does just plug it back in and the eml will go out after a few starts.

Another common boost leak area is around the elbow on the inlet manifold, particularly the egr joint.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle, whats the fix for the inlet elbow? Mines abit black around that elbow but i presumed it was diesel from my leaking injector (4th one)
Thanks given by:
It's rarely a biggy tbh, use a bit of soap solution to see if it actually needs repairing. To fix it you can get a new gasket from pug for pennies, bit of a pig to get in though, so probably only worth it if you're sure it's a problem or if you're really anal about how your engine bay looks. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well ive got a hissing noise from down that area. Whether its the inlet elbow or the boost pipe underneath i dont know
Thanks given by:
ok thanks, my hdi is a V - reg 1999/2000 model, hoping it doesnt bring up the EML, when diagnosing a boost leak is there a sound that is made by the leak ?? will defo have a look 2moz when i get 5 min
Thanks given by:
Yeah boost leaks make a hissing sound when the engine is revved up.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
V reg shouldn't bring up an EML

If your local ill give you one of the gaskets for the inlet l bend
Thanks given by: