Roll cage...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roll cage...
Hi guys, I'm going to be making my own cage soon and wondered which way is best to do it? I've seen some people go straight down to the boot floor (on to a plate) from the hoop. I've also seen some which go down onto the rear arches (also on to a plate). My rear arches are solid by the way before anyone asks Smile
Just want to know what people prefer/recommended before I build it.
Cheers
Dan
Thanks given by:
Onto the beam mounts with mine.

Although, I do wonder if someone having to ask this should be DIY'ing a cage.....:/
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
How much does a cage fitted usually cost?
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2013, 08:25 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Onto the beam mounts with mine.

Although, I do wonder if someone having to ask this should be DIY'ing a cage.....:/

Agreed!
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2013, 08:39 PM)declantg Wrote: How much does a cage fitted usually cost?

Not too sure, but I do know it costs a lot to have on your insurance each year!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Seriously??? Even though its safety??

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
My cages bolts in at the arches,I love it they as you can do a handy trick if you have 4 wheels you can put them side by side between the arches.its a perfect fit, snug as a bug Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
All depends what sort of cage you want there's a few on eBay stating there 10 point cages etc and there actually not. Also people assume bolt in cages just bolt into a car they don't realise you need to have mounting points welded in or strengthened I'm sure ripp will show some of the work he has done
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2013, 10:07 PM)Ben Wrote:
(22-05-2013, 08:39 PM)declantg Wrote: How much does a cage fitted usually cost?

Not too sure, but I do know it costs a lot to have on your insurance each year!

Omp base model is £450-500 ish.mine is a safely devices 6 point with door bars and 'X' in the rear, which new are around the £600 mark.

I personally love the look and feeling of the extra security.after seeing a rolled 306 I neded one Smile

If anyone wants any pictures im happy to help

Dec you going becaucetrackcar Smile 306's feel so much better stripped
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2013, 10:08 PM)declantg Wrote: Seriously??? Even though its safety??

Yep, a lot of firms won't even insure you for a car with a cage until you're over 25, as they know it's more of a serious track-car. Mine wouldn't, even on a 1.4, which is why I have bolt in errr, 'strut braces' across the doors and the same for a bolt in rear cross Angel )

Plus, if you're dumb enough to have a cage and rear seats, small accidents can turn into a couple of brain damaged passengers...which is expensive.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
My insurance cost nothing extra for a cage but yes alot don't like them and will even refuse insurance and tbh I'd imagine they would be as hard if not harder on a home made cage as they've no way of knowing without having a report etc if its built safely etc
Thanks given by:
It's all very well saying that if I'm asking these questions then I shouldn't be building a cage. But firstly how else do I find out? I've looked at pictures and seen both done. Secondly you've not actually managed to answer the question as to which is preferred?
If people could pop some piccies up for me it would be very much appreciated Smile
Thanks given by:
its real strange with insurance, every safety modification you make usually increases the price more than power or handling mods....

guess it would be because having a rollcage, buckets and harnesses etc give you the confidence to drive harder and faster
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Peugeot 306 Challenge - Multipoint
Price: £688
Fitting + cage kit: £1617
[Image: pegeot306challenge.jpg]

Peugeot 306 Challenge Clubman - 6 Point
Price: £480
Fitting + cage kit: £949
[Image: clubman.jpg]

Peugeot 306 F2 - Multipoint
Price: £772
Fitting + cage kit: £1938
[Image: peugeot306f2.jpg]

Peugeot 306 F2 Clubman - 6 Point
Price: £480
Fitting + cage kit: £949
[Image: clubman.jpg]

all prices +vat
http://www.customcages.co.uk/homepage
Thanks given by:
If anyone is worried about a cage increasing your insurance - give me a PM. The modified car polices I can quote you with won't be increased with a cage, infact in some cases it can reduce your premium!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the piccys and info guys. Was wondering if anyone has any pictures of the rear installed/being installed as I cant find any hugely detailed ones.
Thanks given by:
(23-05-2013, 06:41 AM)floz123 Wrote: It's all very well saying that if I'm asking these questions then I shouldn't be building a cage. But firstly how else do I find out? I've looked at pictures and seen both done. Secondly you've not actually managed to answer the question as to which is preferred?
If people could pop some piccies up for me it would be very much appreciated Smile

You don't find out, it's part of the reasoning/design...:/

And as I say, mine bolt to the beam
Thanks given by:
(23-05-2013, 08:23 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: If anyone is worried about a cage increasing your insurance - give me a PM. The modified car polices I can quote you with won't be increased with a cage, infact in some cases it can reduce your premium!

*coughcough* you get my pm Jordan? Big Grin
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
And me ^^
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Okay cheers for the help rippthrough. Do you happen to have a picture of how you do the rear to the beam by any chance?
Cheers
Thanks given by:
[Image: 547711_10150938882606151_1217369140_n.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Beaut! How much?
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
God damn that's beautiful

I need

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
That one was a fair bit tbh, as it has triangulation through to the front turrets, roof bars, etc, and some gusseting too.
Thanks given by:
Decided I'm gonna mount to the arch now Smile after reading bits and bobs. Might brace it across to the beam mounts but that would only be to stiffen up a bit. Nice cage though mate Smile
Thanks given by:
Can I ask why? The main struucture at the rear of a 306 is where the beam mounts are
Thanks given by:
I am tempted to do both if that's allowed? Was reading some blue book bits and it said something about trying to keep bracing bars etc as close to the inside of the body panels as in the event of an accident, the body won't have to move as much before it hits the cage and therefore reducing further potential risks and injury. I'm not saying for a second this is the correct way to do a 306 but i think its how I will be doing it. Always open to advise and positive input though.
Dan
Thanks given by:
I generally get away with it by not sitting in the boot.
Thanks given by:
I think dan was coming more from the angle of the fact that regulations state a parameter for roll cage-bodyshell distance.

Going to the arches will conform with this and he is asking if the beam mount will aswell. Not if he can fit buckets in the boot
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
They don't state one, they suggest one, and it's for the safety cell (i.e. main hoop, a-pillar hoops, roof bar, door bars), not the supporting bars. (rear stays, rear diagonal, turret bars, etc)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roll Cage Pugwash 7 3,201 06-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Roll cage, 5 door Piggy 8 5,088 22-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Stef205
  roll cage weight? impotentials 12 2,206 18-07-2016, 09:56 PM
Last Post: 7057sam