HDI turbo removal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI turbo removal
Has anyone got any tips or guide to taking a turbo of a hdi?
Thanks given by:
Use some spanners Tongue
Thanks given by:
I think its a complete arse on the hdi. Hopefully someone will be along to give you some tips.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Drop the subframe. And get girly wrists.

Was a pain in the arse removing jonny's turbo with the engine out, i do NOT envy anyone doing it in situ
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I didn't think it'd be that much harder than doing it on an XUD but not really had a good look at a HDi.
Thanks given by:
Ahh i thought it would be same as a XUD but oh well, Fun day tmo then attempting to take the subframe of on my own lol. If i dont message back after tmo ive killed myself in the process
Thanks given by:
Subframe is easy....only a few bolts, hold it up with a trolley jack while you undo them.

But as for the turbo...I'm still not sure youll have space without moving the engine off at least one of the higher mounts. I've only done it with the engine out aswell.
Thanks given by:
Personally id take the engine out as id find it quicker that way. Other people will disagree.
Thanks given by:
Can't you just take the top engine mount off and pull the engine forward? That's how we did it with mine, admittedly it's an XUD, but surely the turbo should be in roughly the same place?
Thanks given by:
I got the driveshafts, hubs, wishbones, piping to turbo and the subframe of today, the turbo is towards the drivers side. Which top mount is best to take of? With the bottom mount off i jacked the engine forward a bit but still not enough room to get to the turbo.
Thanks given by:
Top mount is the one on the drivers side, the other is called the gearbox mount.

Im with dumdum on removing the engine tbh.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Done loads of these, its really awkward the first time lol just do it like an xud. iirc the only things I do under the car are pipe clips and the 2 tens on the egr valve. I can sort of remember some balls with the inlet pipe of all things on 306s I think it has to go back on or even just down into place before the inlet manifold however its only a 2.5 to 3.5 hour job if you stick at it. I am a mechanic by trade though!
Thanks given by:
Drop the subframe off, get under there and start undoing stuff. It's a pita but clearance isn't that bad. The haynes says to remove the turbo from the manifold then drop the mani off. Don't. Just take it off as a unit.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Why not jonny? All pipes off undo the 3 bolts holding it to the mani and its off
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2013, 09:15 AM)Danny2009 Wrote: Why not jonny? All pipes off undo the 3 bolts holding it to the mani and its off

I cant undo them, il have to make more room to do that.
Thanks given by:
For that reason. They're a pita to get to.

Thanks given by:
Good luck getting it off the mani anyway, managed to round the bolts on mine! Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
Engine out to change a turbo?! jesus...
Screw HDi tuning - i'll stick with a little map..
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2013, 01:55 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Good luck getting it off the mani anyway, managed to round the bolts on mine! Rolleyes

This is the other reason to do it with the engine out, they are copper nuts and are piss easy to round off, make sure you use a 6 sided socket/spanner but with the engine out you can make sure force is applied in the perfect/correct plane
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2013, 01:55 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Good luck getting it off the mani anyway, managed to round the bolts on mine! Rolleyes

I think i rounded one on mine too Sad given up taking it off this week anyway will probably do it next week now.
Thanks given by:
Is this serious!!

So basically engine out or its an arse and will probably go wrong...

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
It's a large engine in a small bay, most serious jobs are going to be an arse, it'll only go wrong if you don't take care with what you're doing.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The engine being tilted back also helps out loads..
Thanks given by:
And now you guys can see why I chose a PD to mod for my college project.........EGR, Turbo, boost pipes, cat-turbo bolts etc all easy to get to and work with..................the HDi is a right PITA for anything as its too big for the bay tbh lol.

Hence why I broke mine when the turbo and clutch were broken.....it was much less hassle than trying to change those parts! lol
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2013, 09:35 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Hence why I broke mine when the turbo and clutch were broken.....it was much less hassle than trying to change those parts!

It scares me to say your probably not wrong there. I reckon it would of taken me longer to do an in situ turbo and clutch change on a HDi than to completely strip one for parts.
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2013, 09:35 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Golf golf golf golf golf

Shut up tom.. Tongue

Thanks given by:
An how hard is it removing the engine?
Hdi decat midlebox mod soon to be stage1Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2013, 01:03 PM)Hdiestate Wrote: An how hard is it removing the engine?

Easy

take front wheels off, Remove center caps from front wheels take securing pins out of drive shafts then put wheels back on and lower car to ground and undo driveshaft nuts.

Raise car back up and remove wheels, drain gear oil, pop ball joints, undo long drive shaft 11mm retaining nuts, remove shafts.

While your under the car remove the cat, 2 13mm bolts at the back and 2 10mm nuts on the turbo youll need a very long extension. Then undo the bottom engine mount and remove the link arm bit.

Disconnect headlights and fog lights then unbolt the 2 13mm nuts and 213mm bolts that hold the font end on (and the 3 10mms that bold the bottom of the bumper on if they haven't broken off) then lift the whole front end off

Drain the rad and remove the hoses then remove the rad, its not held in by anything other than the hoses and slam panel.

Unscrew the 2 wiring plugs on the NSF chassis leg and the one up behind the ECU then remove the battery and battery tray and unscrew the earth between the chassis and engine.

Pop the gear linkages off with a 13mm open end spanner, pull the clip out the heater matrix hoses then wiggle them out.

Hook engine up to crane and unscrew top engine mount and gear box mount then engine is out.

If there was 2 of you together you could have it out in an hour.
Thanks given by:
I really cant believe what I'm reading here lolol think I charged around 80£ for the last one I done, a clutch is piss easy as well!
Thanks given by:
They're easy jobs with a ramp con, but most people on here will be working on axle stands, which is when it becomes a pita. Did a clutch change for the first time the other day, it only took me three hours with someone else helping in places, but if i'd been on stands it would have taken twice that.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: