headgasket or f*cked bottom end? HELP

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
headgasket or f*cked bottom end? HELP
Basically my car has started playing up, I've got lots of smoke/steam coming from my dipstick breather pipes etc.
Now I noticed I've started getting some pressure in the top hose lately but this morning it started really lumpy/smoky and my car starts fine when cold.
Has anyone had a gasket failure which has caused pressure to build up down an oil way in the head. Hence the smoke from dipstick tube.
Or is my engine worn out and having excessive blow back and the headgasket is ok?
I have checked for.blocked breathers/valves and all is clear
Thanks given by:
Doesn't sound good! Any oil in the water or vise versa? Are your heaters hot? Pressure on the top rad hose?

Few things to check anyway! Smile
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
itl be the headgasket dude, had the same thing happen Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Ok I've ordered a head gasket set. Just didn't wanna fit that to find out the crankcase is pressurizing due. To a worn engine.
Seems like what we first thought was correct.
Ozone did I have the smoke from dipstick tube
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2013, 04:55 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Ok I've ordered a head gasket set. Just didn't wanna fit that to find out the crankcase is pressurizing due. To a worn engine.
Seems like what we first thought was correct.
Ozone did I have the smoke from dipstick tube

yeah, blew the headgasket on the laguna, oil in water, water in oil, smoke when it got hot
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
That's the thing I don't seem to have had anything mix.
I am getting pressure in top hose though
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2013, 04:57 PM)Jimbo Wrote: That's the thing I don't seem to have had anything mix.
I am getting pressure in top hose though

itl probably start mixing if you give it time, i drove the laguna for ages with a blown gasket, drank oil and water like there was no tomorrow lol
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Should I not be worrying about the crankcase pressure/smoke im hoping this is down to the headgasket. I can't afford to fit that lot and then find out the bottom end is worn

Grrr bloody xuds
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2013, 05:22 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Should I not be worrying about the crankcase pressure/smoke im hoping this is down to the headgasket. I can't afford to fit that lot and then find out the bottom end is worn

Grrr bloody xuds

i think its unlikely to be the crankcase seals unless:

a belt has snapped and in the process wrapped around the crank, damaging the seals and bearings in the process

or fuel issues, too much advance on the pump leading to fuel being injected at wrong times can cause damage to the seal, high temperatures, high pressures etc.

whats your current tune like? much pump work?

any bubbles in the coolant?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
No I mean blow back, caused by worn rings etc.
Current tune Bosch t2, front mount at 20 ish psi. Not overkill really
When I rev the engine with cap off I can see Bubbles but I think this is just what the waterpump is pushing around. And as said some pressure in top hose noticeably more.than before but still not loads
Thanks given by:
100% hg if ya got bubbles when revved, when ya got head off just wiggle top of piston and if you got a fait bit of movement rings are fooked
Thanks given by:

Still think it's just what the waterpump is moving around down the return to the rad
Thanks given by:
But the bubbles are air that the water pump is pushing round, from the HG. You have all the symptoms of HG failure imo, would be surprised if it's anything else.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Ok Ricky. Have ordered the parts prob best I just fit it and go from there..
Thanks given by:
ah i see what you meant now lol, but yeah, id say do your headgasket first, xud's only downside is the weakness of the headgasket once you start pushing the boost and temperatures up, that and the conrod design flaw, apart from those two things its quite rare for an xud to have serious problems unless they havnt been maintained
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2013, 06:50 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: 100% hg if ya got bubbles when revved, when ya got head off just wiggle top of piston and if you got a fait bit of movement rings are fooked

wiggling the piston will tell you nothing, they need to have room for expansion, aluminium in case iron etc.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Think I have rules this down to headgasket. After 15 mins of driving I am getting so much pressure in top hose it's not possible to release the rad cap without scalding yourself. And if left overnight with pressure in, in the morning I think the cylinders have a little oil/water in them as I get lots of smoke and spluttering. Whereas before I had not cold start issues
Thanks given by:
Compression test ? Save all the pissing about
Thanks given by:
Where do test a diesel for compression - injectors glow plugs?
It's not pissing about it's taken two days to come to a conclusion.....
Thanks given by:
Glow plugs graham has an adaptor at work
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
(18-05-2013, 06:49 PM)mikey b Wrote: Glow plugs graham has an adaptor at work

Yeah thsts the route I would go down insted of listening to the shit posted so far. Its all good saying this and that but. No point in sending cash if its something else. Diagnosis is the simple route first.

Where are you located bud compression tester here in the garage if needed
Thanks given by:
Right so the cooling system is pressurizing, I've got air bubbles in the coolant when I rev with rad cap off. If left.overnight the pressure seeps coolant in to the cylinders. I don't think I need anymore diagnosis than that
Thanks given by:
No bother mate I will just keep my 20 years experience to my self in future. Good luck
Thanks given by:
Puggie when 'mikey b' mentioned glow plugs, I think he was referring to where the compression tester fits to. Definatly bigger problems than just glow plugs!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(18-05-2013, 07:38 PM)Puggie Wrote: No bother mate I will just keep my 20 years experience to my self in future. Good luck

Is there any reason you're being a bit of a dick?

Keep your 20 years experience to yourself. Given the community that we are, i'm sure there's communally more knowledge than you have, especially with regards to an engine many of us have dissected countless times. Yes a compression test is the simple answer, but not if you don't have a gauge. Given the fact that most garages want to charge you for the test too, the free options are always the easiest.

OP, mind and get the head skimmed if it's pressurising, or at least checked with a straight edge. I never bothered skimming mine as I was in a rush for FCS and it lasted about 100 miles, never again.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18-05-2013, 08:07 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(18-05-2013, 07:38 PM)Puggie Wrote: No bother mate I will just keep my 20 years experience to my self in future. Good luck

Keep your 20 years experience to yourself. Given the community that we are, i'm sure there's communally more knowledge than you have, especially with regards to an engine many of us have dissected countless times. Yes a compression test is the simple answer, but not if you don't have a gauge. Given the fact that most garages want to charge you for the test too, the free options are always the easiest.

OP, mind and get the head skimmed if it's pressurising, or at least checked with a straight edge. I never bothered skimming mine as I was in a rush for FCS and it lasted about 100 miles, never again.

Awesome reply on very little facts you are so wrong but crack on Dodgy

i asked where he was as i have a few spare compression testers but meh
Thanks given by:
(18-05-2013, 08:28 PM)Puggie Wrote:
(18-05-2013, 08:07 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:

Awesome reply on very little facts you are so wrong but crack on Dodgy

i asked where he was as i have a few spare compression testers but meh

LOL! Wrong on so many facts? Trust me, i've blown enough XUD headgaskets to know one when I see one. And if you're referring to experience, i'd love to know what you've done that at least one of us on here hasn't done before with these engines.

Come back when you have something useful to say. Til then FOYC Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
I have a compression tester at work. I work in a garage with Mikey B

Seems to be a few people on here who are letting the forum down and being complete cocks. For the most part I always get the answer I am looking for. I had already self diagnosed my problem just wanted a few more opinions.

I have got a victor reinz headgasket head set and new bolts. Ill.be getting the head skimmed too. Hoping to start tomorrow evening and just have a couple hours each night on it hopefully should be done by end of the week
Thanks given by:
To be honest, head changes on these take very little time at all. I managed to do mine whilst stranded in Blackpool with limited tools in only a few hours. Helps if you're on a FMIC as you dont have to get the intercooler out of the way, but even then, belt off, lean the engine forwards on its mounts and pop the manifolds off, you're nearly there.
Thanks given by:
Yeah im on fmic. I no what im doing.
think it's basically.
Boost pipes etc off. Fuel filters housing and that water housing.
lock.and strip Cambelt. Engine off mount lean forward both manifolds/ turbo off. Injector lines etc.
Head off etc etc.
Pretty confident tbh. Have done fair few hg's at work just not an xud. Should be easy
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MLS headgasket enquiries. 205dtub 14 3,993 18-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Last Post: vinny
  Is it f*cked? Nathan1305 20 6,249 28-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305
  Headgasket failure? AdamInNi 3 1,317 31-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Last Post: AdamInNi