Temp Fix Of A Bodge (Blower Motor)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temp Fix Of A Bodge (Blower Motor)
Right non of the norm of why doesnt my blowers work blah blah

Bought the car with the blower motor tapped into the cigarette lighter to power it as the resistor pack i presume is dead. It was wired up to a in line fuse then onto a 25amp toggle switch the motor was grounded to the chasis. The toggle switch melted and so did the fuse despite that being 10amps! Which isnt bloody great a real fire hazard and to top it off the wire thats used is thin as hell so iv rewired it using old amp cable to stop the risk of it glowing and causing a fire but i need a new source of at least half the amps as no matter what fuses i put into the holder it doesnt pop and just melts them FFS!

so any one know whwere i can get a 15 amp source from to run the motor till the summer? As you can imagine demisting windows is fun with out it.
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Errr the battery maybe?
I think your getting confused here. You don't find a 15amp source. The motor will draw as many amps as it requires thus if it's drawing 20 amps and you have 10 amp wiring and fuses, its going to melt them
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
no im not confused i need a low amp source because the fuses are not poping just melting even 5amp fuses not poping them the cables that was there iv replaced with much more heavy duty amp cable. i want to have a lower amp rating because its safer and the motor will spin at a less noisy speed. i used a multi meter to test amps the multimeter is only limited to 10 amps max and it reduced the speed of the motor. iv kind of done it now but have to put up with the fans at full speed as the switch iv got can only take 16 amp

Thanks given by:
You do not get a certain ampage spur because what is there in a car to dictate the amps for every device?
Current is pulled from the power source by the device (in this case, the fan). It isn't pushed to it. All you need to do is take a live from the battery. Just because your taking it from the battery doesn't mean that the fan is going to be supplied with 200amps.

As long as your wiring is of a suitable size and the fuse is the correct rating (don't just fit a bigger fuse if it keeps blowing unless you want a fire) then there is no problem
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
The fuses are not blowing though this is my point the plastic around them is melting and burning a 5 amp fuse in line should blow as soon as a 20 amp load goes through it

Thanks given by:
Use a relay then. Then the switch is not handling any current
Thanks given by:
Right so in that case then, your using the wrong size wire and fuse and possibly switch. A fuse won't always 'pop' if it's a steady current. Normally they will only pop if there is a spike (e.g motor blows or there is a short somewhere)
Either way, the bodge clearly isn't safe and needs redoing. Work out the current drawn by the motor and replace the bodge with wiring and components that can handle the current.
As Sam has said, a relay would be a good idea as its a bit concerning that your taking power from the ciggy lighter for something that requires a fair bit of power!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Why not just change the resister pack and wire it in the original place. By the way it will still work on full power of the res pack is faulty! If it don't then something else Is wrong
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Jonny b Wrote:Why not just change the resister pack and wire it in the original place. By the way it will still work on full power of the res pack is faulty! If it don't then something else Is wrong

That would be the sensible thing but I don't think he wants to do that yet
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
You'll need to do what I did.

Buy a 40A relay (dirt cheap) and wire it up using any toggle switch you like. Two pins are the feed to the relay and two just pass the current through. This way not all of the current is going through your switch. I took my feed straight from the battery (with an inline 20A fuse) and it works a dream.

You'll need to look up how to wire a relay if you don't already. I also used the relay feed as part of the switched live from the radio, so when the ignition is off the fan is off as well to prevent accidentally leaving it on.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
best bet is take a feed off the ignition wires as thats the thickest and easiest to wiring to connect to you will find inside the car
Thanks given by:
just repair it properly.... take 10mins to change resistor pack.

Resistor packs can make the blower fail totally (not even running on max)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 Blower motor replaced and working but no air coming from vents? Zubes3 4 1,278 19-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Zubes3
  Update: blower motor issue full fan speed all the time rich_n_stace2014 5 1,617 01-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Last Post: rich_n_stace2014
  Another blower motor problem! NOSE 0 1,038 25-03-2016, 09:42 AM
Last Post: NOSE