Key wont turn in ignition

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Key wont turn in ignition
Happened twice now but this time it wont turn at all with either key. Turns to first click ok then only goes halfway to the main ignition click the battery light comes on when its turned but it won't go that final bit to bring other dash lights up. Put some wd40 in there but what's the procedure for removing the barrell does it need to turn all the way to get it out I have MOT Saturday so needs sorting by then. I know a place that can profile locks to keys so can get it repaired
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 02:31 PM)HDIkyle Wrote: Happened twice now but this time it wont turn at all with either key. Turns to first click ok then only goes halfway to the main ignition click the battery light comes on when its turned but it won't go that final bit to bring other dash lights up. Put some wd40 in there but what's the procedure for removing the barrell does it need to turn all the way to get it out I have MOT Saturday so needs sorting by then. I know a place that can profile locks to keys so can get it repaired

you should be able to get it out no problem... the key needs to be halfway between off and acc to remove the barrel...if it were me I'd just take the pins out the lock for now.... any key will turn it then which means you can drive it in the meantime.
Thanks given by:
Anyone got a guide please want to sort this tonight but no idea how

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
Remove steering wheel cowling (3x t20 screws underneath), remove small screw in side of ignition barrel holder (up near end where you put the key in). Unplug 3 big plugs, insert key and turn whilst trying to push in the little tab in the side of the barrel holder, have lots of fun trying to get the plugs out.

Hate to say it and im not 100% so could be wrong but i think you have to turn the key to cranking before the tab will move and the barrel will come out.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I am at he stage if removing it taken the retaining screw out but there is no arrow markings between a and s have try'd all positions between but its not clicking up

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
Im pretty sure when i took one out, i was pressing on the tab on the side with a screwdriver turning the key slowly at the same time and eventually it went.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Scaffold bar!? Lol don't need a key then
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 05:38 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Scaffold bar!? Lol don't need a key then

Not a bad idea if nicking it but seeing as hes not, it will need a new steering column if he does that.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 05:27 PM)Niall Wrote: Im pretty sure when i took one out, i was pressing on the tab on the side with a screwdriver turning the key slowly at the same time and eventually it went.

This ^^^ should be 2 or 3 goldie looking tabs poking through the side of the barrel cowling, (if you push one up they will all go at the same time) put pressure on one with a screw driver and slowly turn the key. at some point they should pop up,

Also, once you have the barrel out, undo the two screws on the back and the wires will come out the back of the barrel saving you having to faf about trying to get the plug through.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Sorted. Haynes are bloody useless it says halfway between positions A and S but its actually the arrow non marked with a letter on the ignition :/

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Cooling fans very stiff to turn. cheapo 2 2,018 15-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Last Post: cheapo
  Turn Lights on - Trip meter comes on too (Rallye) Eddleston 5 1,841 10-06-2016, 11:16 AM
Last Post: BiG K
  A/C auto turn on td163 3 1,510 08-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Poodle