Diesel back box

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel back box
Could I use a back box off a petrol 306 on a diesel 306 like this
[Image: eqeqahy5.jpg]
To replace this type
[Image: mybe9u6u.jpg]
Just so the back looks a bit better like this because at the moment the tail pipe is turned down so there's just a space on the bumper where the back box is meant to be
[Image: 6ane8equ.jpg]
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
can you not just get a tip welded on instead of changing the whole backbox? Petrol box will be well restrictive
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2013, 08:22 PM)Just Sean Wrote: can you not just get a tip welded on instead of changing the whole backbox? Petrol box will be well restrictive

Exactly this.

Another alternative would be replace the box with a piece of straight pipe. As long as you have at least one box in the system, it will be MOT friendly. If you have any box in the system, might as well be the mid box, as its basically straight through anyway. Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2013, 08:22 PM)Just Sean Wrote: can you not just get a tip welded on instead of changing the whole backbox? Petrol box will be well restrictive

(04-05-2013, 08:27 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote:

Exactly this.

Another alternative would be replace the box with a piece of straight pipe. As long as you have at least one box in the system, it will be MOT friendly. If you have any box in the system, might as well be the mid box, as its basically straight through anyway. Big Grin

That's what I wasn't sure on if it would restrict it or not. Ill just have a straight pipe there and weld a tip onto it if it doesn't look right.
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
As already said, petrol boxes are hugely restrictive as a petrol engine requires a certain amount of back pressure while a turbo diesel does not.

if you lie the oem look of the box though you could cut the top off, clear everything out of it then weld the top back on for a hollow box. would be more mot friendly and sound alot better Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2013, 08:23 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: As already said, petrol boxes are hugely restrictive as a petrol engine requires a certain amount of back pressure while a turbo diesel does not.

if you lie the oem look of the box though you could cut the top off, clear everything out of it then weld the top back on for a hollow box. would be more mot friendly and sound alot better Smile

Better than just a straight pipe no back box
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
Does anyone know the diameter of the exhaust. I can't get my back box off to measure it so I measures the circumstance which was 16.5cm and divided with the pie thing and got 5.25cm-2.06". Does 2" sound right for the standard pipe.
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2013, 11:32 AM)Aaron _d95 Wrote: Does anyone know the diameter of the exhaust. I can't get my back box off to measure it so I measures the circumstance which was 16.5cm and divided with the pie thing and got 5.25cm-2.06". Does 2" sound right for the standard pipe.

yeah i think 2" is right for standard pipe mate iirc . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2013, 11:37 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(06-05-2013, 11:32 AM)Aaron _d95 Wrote: Does anyone know the diameter of the exhaust. I can't get my back box off to measure it so I measures the circumstance which was 16.5cm and divided with the pie thing and got 5.25cm-2.06". Does 2" sound right for the standard pipe.

yeah i think 2" is right for standard pipe mate iirc . .Smile

Thanks it's just I didn't know what size I needed to have a straight pipe instead of a back box.
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 hard to start letting diesel run back? john85cw 3 1,599 11-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Tom