Heat wrapping exhaust

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heat wrapping exhaust
Hi all,

I'm lowering my car next Monday and was going to heat wrap my exhaust whilst its all jacked up etc? Was just wondering if there is any skill in doing it or is it just wrap then put the metal cable tie round?

Thanks!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You wrapping the whole exhaust or just the manifold?

Either way youll need to take it off to do it.

I did once read somewhere that its best to wet the wrap before doing it then once its dry give it a coat of high temp paint. Not sure if this is either a) a good idea or b) the normal thing to do
Thanks given by:
Manifold is already done. I was going to take the exhaust off the mounts and drop it down a little so I can get round it.
Thanks given by:
OK a quick Googling brings up this

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/Instr ... ISheet.pdf
Thanks given by:
Oh and it appears its a special spray paint that you put on it

http://www.ruderacing.co.uk/Heat_Wrap_/ ... _info.html
Thanks given by:
Yes wet it. 1. It stops all the horrible fibres going everywhere and 2. It means that when it drys, it shrinks and gives a really good fit.
Make sure you use lots of overlap. Don't butt it up as any small gaps will cause massive heat spots and potential to cause fire.
Don't use high temp paints. This has been known to ruin the wrap. Instead, use the special spray (DEI make some. You can get it from rallynuts). Paying particular attention to any "danger" areas (e.g manifold if there is a risk of oil leaking onto it. If it soaks up oil, this can also cause a fire risk)
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys! I will get on and do this! Fitting my engine mounts this Saturday! Can't wait!
Thanks given by: