306 Head Gasket??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 Head Gasket??
Music 
Hi, I'm looking for a runabout for my grand-daughter.I've been given the chance to buy a 1999 306 diesel at a good price. Checking it over seemed o.k. The usual discs and pads to change( it's been stood for 8 months), but all in all looked a good buy. However on checking water expansion tank found what appears to be oil. Does this indicate head gasket/cylinder head problems??
Thanks given by:
Usually, could be the heat exchanger that's packed in but usually headgasket.

XUD's normally blow between the cylinders and water jacket though. Does the temp do anything abnormal under a test drive?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(02-05-2013, 09:24 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: Usually, could be the heat exchanger that's packed in but usually headgasket.

XUD's normally blow between the cylinders and water jacket though. Does the temp do anything abnormal under a test drive?
Not able to test drive at present; car not insured and on a SORN.
Thanks given by:
Leave it idling with the rad cap off.. does the header tank bubble at all? And with the cap on, do the coolant hoses overly pressurise?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(02-05-2013, 10:13 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: Leave it idling with the rad cap off.. does the header tank bubble at all? And with the cap on, do the coolant hoses overly pressurise?

Not sure. Would need to visit the car again(20 miles away) to check.
Thanks for advice given so far. Have 'photo but don't know how to upload!
Thanks given by:
Unless really cheap i'd leave it mate
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Very unheard of for an standard xud to blow a head gasket, But could do with a bit more detail, is there any of the usal gunk in the oil?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by: