You Decide, Derv Derived Crysis!

Poll: What should I do?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Man up and finish what I have started as planned.
95.00%
57 95.00%
Carry on trying to sell it, and make as much back as I can....
5.00%
3 5.00%
Total 60 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Decide, Derv Derived Crysis!
So ive been trying to flog parts from the bus now for a few weeks, and although ive had no problem selling suspension / brakes and car parts, I've had little luck moving any of the "valuable" parts, IE engine....I guess to some degree, this dosnt surprise me, given the one off / value of the thing. I've had interest in lots of the parts, but if i split the engine, then the like sof the manifold / pump / injectors (very expensive parts) instantly become valueless as there so unique...so its really just silly to do that, hence ive been trying to sell the engine complete, which im having no luck with at all.

The next problem is that just about everyone ive spoken to is telling me im doing the wrong thing / what the hell am I thinking, etcetc, but even after explaining what I want to do in the near future, still seem to think im selling to soon.

One thing or another, I guess im having second thoughts, maybe I shouldn't be selling the thing, or not yet anyway, so I figured I may as well put it out there for discussion, maybe someone can persuade me one way or the other...or maybe the poll can be taken literally, to some degree.

To give more of an idea of my dilemor, ill explain what my plans were / are for the car, which involved so much more investment, I just couldnt justify it, or didnt think I could anyway.

The car was up and running, and making over XUD levels of power instantly, at very low boost levels, and showing frankly epic potential, but as I had always suspected, the head is made of cheese (lifters, valve springs and cams) and really was instantly at limit, so started developing solid lifters, re designed cams etc, which is all possible, but obviously $$$, and then the fuel system, as good as the VE is, its never going to do what I want, and the only mech pump that would, would be impossible to make legal to drive in the UK. So my plan was always to put it on aftermarket CR management, and tune it to the hilt, but this would require epic investments, and as this "breaking" has prooven, it really isnt an investment, or at least, its money id never see again, other than prooving myself what can be done, which to be fair, is very much annoying me all the time that the build didnt get to that stage...

Now as mentioned before, I have ideas for a much more epic project, but this in itself involves more money injection than the above, by a long way, and is something I certainly couldn't afford to do anytime soon, but then I thought a break away from it wouldn't do any harm anyway...

So what should I do?

Discuss?

And im being serious, so negative comments etc, please just refrain and dont post.

Smile

Also as a sidenote,

Anyone ive sold parts to, either way, you will get your parts, wont go back on what has been sold / payed for etc.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
well to answer a question with a question, what you gonna do if you don't have a diesel project? . . . . .you seem a bit like a dog without a dick at the minute mate, we all love watching your projects so i guess the resounding answer from most will be "hell yes crack on" . . . . .as you already said it ain't cost efficient and you'll never make your money back . . . . .but, on the flip side you'll get kudos, hot bitches wanting a ride, an awesome project to get your teeth into and most importantly . . . . . . . .you only live once Smile x
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
As you've already said, unless someone were buying the complete package - many of the engine parts are useless and or worthless to anybody.. keep it. Make it work, take your time over summer, it doesn't have to be a race to get it finished, as you've already had the idea to break it - if you spend forever working on it and getting frustrated, it will make it worse.. but once it's finished you'll realise why you kept it!
Thanks given by:
you have to do what is right for you Smile

Is there not any way you can return it to something epic and reliable to enable you to save for a bit and then get back into things?

I keep saying to Jay it needs to be a "hobby" and fun to do cause it just turns in to an obsession and the stress levels just go through the roof!

I think you need to think about the here and now and not the really expensive future as that seems to be putting you off and at the end of the day you will need to save to do what you plan to do and you will never get the money back you put into it.
[Image: untitled_zps1adc0365.png]
138 BHP XSI
(21:20:51) Just_Sean: i had a pokey bum wank in the bath once and i shit you not, i burped a bubble
Thanks given by:
Meh the way i see it, A car with a moded engine will never be an investment and you will never get your money back or anywhere near , anyone going into it thinking this is quite frankly an idiot lol.

But yeah, if you can see you next project getting a start any where in the near future, and you are not 110% commited to ending your current project i dont think you should, I had a little shitty XUD project up untill a few weeks ago and couldnt decide to end it or not, as soon as i did and started breaking i knew it was the it was the right thing to do, you started and your still not sure, so its obv not the right thing to do, you thats prob because you dont want to IMO

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Finish it because i havent been out in it yet.

But in all seriousness this car is iconic on here, you've put so much time and money into it already and your so close to making it even more heroic than it already was which is amazing, so you should finish it and be forever known as "that guy" haha! DO IT!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Darren ive only ever met you once breifly and didnt really chat so cant really say i know you well but i think your the sort that just has to be fiddling with stuff (inb4giggidy) and cant leave stuff alone so i reckon carry on with the engine! End of the day, with any sort of car modifying, you will never ever get your money back. Never even close (although try telling Ed that!) so you might as well do it and make something pretty damn epic (although it was already) and keep that reputation that you and the car already have!!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Darren, i think you should continue with the car, after all the hard work you put into it. be a waste of time to throw that away. you know what needs to be uprated and upgraded.
A MG metro cup racer said to me, Andy do a little bit at a time with the car. so i say you do the same, after all you can say you have been there and done it
Thanks given by:
I'd go on with this project, as mentioned before it doesn't have to be a race.
If you break the engine one day I guess there would be a lot of interest in the solid lifters / better cams (if the normal HDi has the same head?).
And if you buy a standalone CR system just buy one that does up to 6 pots so you can use it for later projects?
Thanks given by:
The thing is, people are always gonna say, "yeah, Go for it". It's not their time and money that they're investing, they just want to see the project finished, and rightly so, it's EPIC Big Grin

However, as others have mentioned, (and from briefly meeting you, I've gotta agree) you're lost without a project. You say the stalling point is funding the CR conversion, but consider what you'll put into another project. It'll far exceed what you need to inject to "complete" this build (i.e. make epic power on an aftermarket system on that engine)

The engine's in bits at the moment, right? Therefore it's not exactly gonna seize up or have issues being stored. Stick it to one side, drop a stock (ish) motor in the bus and leave it be for a few months/as long as it needs. You'll soon want to get the engine built back up and boosting again..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(28-04-2013, 07:25 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: The thing is, people are always gonna say, "yeah, Go for it". It's not their time and money that they're investing, they just want to see the project finished, and rightly so, it's EPIC Big Grin

However, as others have mentioned, (and from briefly meeting you, I've gotta agree) you're lost without a project. You say the stalling point is funding the CR conversion, but consider what you'll put into another project. It'll far exceed what you need to inject to "complete" this build (i.e. make epic power on an aftermarket system on that engine)

The engine's in bits at the moment, right? Therefore it's not exactly gonna seize up or have issues being stored. Stick it to one side, drop a stock (ish) motor in the bus and leave it be for a few months/as long as it needs. You'll soon want to get the engine built back up and boosting again..

Basically what I was going to say, thanks for writing it for me!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(28-04-2013, 07:28 PM)Ben Wrote:
(28-04-2013, 07:25 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: The thing is, people are always gonna say, "yeah, Go for it". It's not their time and money that they're investing, they just want to see the project finished, and rightly so, it's EPIC Big Grin

Basically what I was going to say, thanks for writing it for me!

No problem mate! lol
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Mate keep going, to coin matts phrase you have been like a dog without a dick recently. You know you dont build this to make it a useable daily, you only do this because you can and you like to prove to yourself you can. In the grand scheme of things it's not that expensive. Have you considered buying a second hand lathe and milling machine combo. They are cheaper than you think. Do the cams and valve gear first. HDi aftermarket management is getting cheaper and more available all the time and will be affordable eventually. I reckon in a year's time you'll be able to get it for sub 1200.

Stick it in the back of the shed for 6 months if you have to till your ready.
Thanks given by:
I say keep going with it fella, purely on the basis it's not worth selling. No-one will ever buy it for reasonable money because an engine that's been built by someone else is an unknown quantity - there's a good chance it'll need a rebuild, often worse. Plus, i suspect you'd kick yourself if you sold it to someone else and they promptly made a monster out of it.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Darren buy yourself a daily run around first of all, then put the rest to one side as you are a tinkerer and can build the engine at a slow pace as nothing depends on it - do you get what I mean? You could also reshell it, if that's what's required and make an awesome car from 2 306's

if you start another project you will spend a dollop of £ and be no further than you are now power wise etc, at least with this lump, you have ironed out the issues and know what you need to spend and to do going forward Smile

I've never met you but I bet those idle hands are killing you Wink
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Man up; purely because this is what you tell me. As much as we annoy each other here, you telling me this is what spurs me on to get where I want to go. As gay as it sounds, youre probably the only person here to have faith in the work I carry out, despite the difficuly; personal achievements are everything!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Poll says it all.
Thanks given by:
Wow, I didnt expect the poll to go totally one way.

I think the way I see it, im not going to get the money for the engine, or at least not enough to justify selling it, so its gotta stay, and theres no use keeping it and not finishing it, so that is going to have to happen.

Quite how and when I dont know, but as poodle and others said, its sat around for 6 months already, so i guess can sit around for another if needs be. The car is totally shagged, but has all the paperwork sorted for the conversion / really cba with the farce again, so I think it would go back in the same shell, just not worry about what it looks like so much anymore maybe.

Thanks for all comments / advice, surprised at reaction!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
How about swapping shells? I know you've always said the shell isnt in great condition and has various body shaped dents in it. How about finding someone selling a shell or a scrapper with a dead engine thats a bit nicer. Might give you a new lease of life with it all!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Mint and clean Bianca that actually has a black arse.
Thanks given by:
Because I cba to have to get it re inspected etc to change V5 and for insurance, current shell is already all declared and ready to roll.. and tbh any 306 which has constant engine in / out / tuning always ends up battered, it just spends its hole life in the workshop with engine crane hogging over it / front end being remvoed etcetc, test drives etcetc
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(28-04-2013, 09:07 PM)Niall Wrote: How about swapping shells? I know you've always said the shell isnt in great condition and has various body shaped dents in it. How about finding someone selling a shell or a scrapper with a dead engine thats a bit nicer. Might give you a new lease of life with it all!

i did mention that niall as i thought that may give darren a kick up the derrière lol

Darren complete the engine in the old shell, get it running right and then it gives you a long time to search for a nice 3dr shell so you can re-shell
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Oh yeah forgot you would have to have it all checked over again!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
just buy another real tidy black ph1 shell and clone it ninja.

i didnt sugest that though!

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
im suprised that your suprised....people love the project and everyone you talk to knows you and your car, so no one is going to want to see it in bits Sad

As said above, its been sat for a while , so why not keep it there for a while.Guarenteed that if you did ever get some one to buy the whole project you will get nothing but hasstle or issues/questions coming back to you about it.I know you wouldnt mind to a certain extent but it will wind you up ad want it back or will make you regret it. On the other hand they could take it further or killl it straight away.

It's a project, not a race Smile
[Image: untitled_zps1adc0365.png]
138 BHP XSI
(21:20:51) Just_Sean: i had a pokey bum wank in the bath once and i shit you not, i burped a bubble
Thanks given by:
If there is a little bit of you deep down that doesn't want to sell and part with the derv bus, then don't! Or you will regret it some time down the line. However, if you have no feelings what so ever I'd strongly recommend cutting your loses and getting rid before you plough in a shit load more money. If you can afford to keep it then do so and see if the absence makes a difference. That way you have the option to carry on where you left off if your feelings change towards it. After all you stand to loose too much selling the engine to someone else, you'll never make back what it stands you.

Having said all that, the time and money you have put into this... If you put into something else with far more potential.. You'd be onto something very special. Om606 say..
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
I'll post a more intelligent answer tomorrow when I'm not hung over. In short keep it mate, no one could ever achieve what you could wit that thing!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Kepp it. Youve put the money in to it so dont loose it by selling parts off. At least you will have the parts which are worth more to you. The car doesnt have to be super epic. Just get it running and enjoy it. Its the most epic derv project going and you know everything about it and can just work on it when you feel like it. tbh I love it and if i had the money id buy it but i dont have the knowledge to keep it going and fix it!
Thanks given by:
Ricky is selling a nice black 3 door shell.

Connor is getting banned when I get on a computer for voting that you should sell it.
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2013, 05:00 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Ricky is selling a nice black 3 door shell.

Connor is getting banned when I get on a computer for voting that you should sell it.

that shell is mine ninja
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can you help me decide, procta 24 4,457 25-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Last Post: procta
  Best Smartphone? Need to decide by 3:30 Josh1994 66 7,425 30-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  Help me decide on a new car!! callumcull 51 8,665 21-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Pebbles167