Chirping!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chirping!?
Hi guys,

Got an odd noise I'm trying to identify on the Vec....yes I know its not a HDi but it's near enough the same lol.

Basically, briefly (a second or so) on start-up, continuous under load up hill and breifly (a second or so) on low gearchanges (so slight load changing up at 1500rpm'ish say) theres a loud chirping noise. Loud enough to just hear with the window up.

Its not clutch slip as I always start the car with the clutch down.

It could be a belt slipping but if that was the case I should be able to replicate it at a standstill by loading the engine with the handbrake on and I can't.

Can it be diesel knock? Seems a bit specific though, and higher pitch than Im used to.

Only other thing I wondered is can a small air leak somewhere cause a chirp noise at the times I specified above?

Any ideas lol? Confused

Tom
Thanks given by:
Do these have a dual mass flywheel? Could be that my 110 hdi did it on its way out
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
High load/rapid load changes shouldnt cause a belt to slip, so thats out. Would suspect something like the above, or possibly a pin-hole boost leak.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(22-04-2013, 01:02 PM)rd070707 Wrote: Do these have a dual mass flywheel? Could be that my 110 hdi did it on its way out

They do but mines only done 20k lol, shouldnt be broken yet, not sure how they would chirp though?

(22-04-2013, 01:40 PM)Poodle Wrote: High load/rapid load changes shouldnt cause a belt to slip, so thats out. Would suspect something like the above, or possibly a pin-hole boost leak.

Hmm, see if its a boost leak I'm not too fussed, probably blowing by the swirlflaps, or the EGR blank as theres only a gasket one side. Not sure how I can prove that its any of these things though. Undecided
Thanks given by:
Sell it

/troll

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
(22-04-2013, 05:02 PM)Arron Wrote: Sell it

/troll

I will be. Smile

Just intrigued as to what the noise is lol.
Thanks given by:
To think i entered this thread with the intention of a "Get a vectra/" answer... Pahaha

Dual mass flywheels tend the squeak when you turn the engine off as they slow down.

But to answer your actual question.... I can aha. Its strange for it to do on start up and under constant load :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(22-04-2013, 05:13 PM)Tom Wrote: To think i entered this thread with the intention of a "Get a vectra/" answer... Pahaha

Dual mass flywheels tend the squeak when you turn the engine off as they slow down.

But to answer your actual question.... I can aha. Its strange for it to do on start up and under constant load :/

Doesn't do it on shut off now you say that...

So looking more like an air leak somewhere then.
Thanks given by:
sell it
Thanks given by:
(22-04-2013, 05:34 PM)SRowell Wrote: sell it

Wanna buy a vectra?
Thanks given by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4oFl5s9OzM

thats what mine sounded like
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah thats what my Golf one sounded like on shut off now I've seen that lol

But thats a definite squeak, this is a chirp, I'll see if I can get a vid, but my phone camera is shocking lol.
Thanks given by:
blow of valve?
Thanks given by:
run over a budgie?
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2013, 08:53 AM)cully Wrote: run over a budgie?

I think that'd be more of a 'squealch' than a chirp. lol
Thanks given by:
It could be an engine mount tom. Have you tried grabbing your engine and pulling it back and forth

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Sure it's not epic wheelspin from the hugely torquey GM lump?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I know the engine mounts are f*cked, or atleast one is. It always happens after a clutch/DMF change as they let the engine rest on the mounts I guess, seen/heard about the same thing loads. Didn't know they could chirp though?

I've taken a vid, but my phone camera is crap, but if you listen hard you can hear nothing, then one or two chirps, then it becomes almost constant. It's difficult to hear from the vid though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMLcrAce_...e=youtu.be!
Thanks given by:
Some kind of tensioner somewhere? :/ Is it like chirpchirpchirpchirp fairly quick in that video? Like you say its really hard to hear :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Alternator/alternator belt. Search it on vec-c. Very common.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a tensioner to me. Or it's a bird you can hear in the video and you're therefore whinging about nothing.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
finally got a bird in your car tom? :p
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2013, 09:21 PM)SRowell Wrote: finally got a bird in your car tom? :p

FLOL, does sound belt / tensioner related don't have much luck with cars do you mate :/
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2013, 11:01 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: Sure it's not epic wheelspin from the hugely torquey GM lump?

No thats more 'chchchchchchchch' as one wheel slips......only drivers one oddly, why they didn't leave TC in the facelifts I have no idea, wouldn't be an issue at all then! Rolleyes

But I know you were taking the piss. Tongue

(23-04-2013, 07:53 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Alternator/alternator belt. Search it on vec-c. Very common.

Keep getting told off by PM on Vec-c lol. Itwasntme

So I've been avoiding it since. Apparently starting a breaking thread about a Peugeot in the 'local' section was a bit naughty...

Then I was moaning about Vectra's which is apparently not allowed. lol

But I'll have a look then....

Yeah but she shat everywhere and left worms on the passenger seat. Undecided

Oh and Sam....it was a black bird. Confused Oh sorry, a blackbird. lol

(24-04-2013, 07:16 AM)Danny2009 Wrote:

FLOL, does sound belt / tensioner related don't have much luck with cars do you mate :/

Luck? What is this 'luck' you speak of? Doh
Thanks given by:
are you sure it wasnt you who shat everywhere
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 09:28 AM)Just Sean Wrote: are you sure it wasnt you who shat everywhere

Not on the passenger seat, I dont tend to drive from there....
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Chirping" Aux belt C.A.R. 7 3,319 08-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Last Post: lolsteve