Vibration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vibration
Hi,

Just started to noticed a vibration coming through the car on the motorway around the 70mph mark.

It's not like a unbalanced wheel but almost like a rough bearing vibration.

I jacked the car up when I got home and tried spinning all the wheels and they all spin nice and smooth. There isn't the typical wheel bearing noise either but on the on the slip road turning left the was a bit of a grindy noise could this be coming from the off side CV joint, could it be worn, if so how could I check?

When I did the clutch the other month I checked the bearing that goes in the engine mount bracket and that seemed ok at the time.

Just thought I'd ask you guys your thoughts on this?
Thanks given by:
warped disc perhaps?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I'm not getting any vibrations through the steering wheel under braking. When I've had warped discs in the past the steering wheel and car has shook under braking but not getting any of that.

I've got a dial gauge and I'll check the runout on the discs just in case.
Thanks given by:
to check if it is a bearing lift the front wheels off the floor (make sure the car is secure) then start it up, put into 1st gear and build up a bit of speed then quickly switch off engine so you can hear any grinding noises coming from the spinning wheels, if its a collapsed bearing or driveshaft issue you should be able to hear it
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
cv joint...either inner or outer

wrong tyre pressures too can do this
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Car on the ground reach under and try and twist the shaft, if theres play the cv has nearly exploded :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I've not been able to do much but I did try to twisting the shaft and there doesn't seem to be any play there. Just thought should I try twisting with some lock on the wheel?

I've still to try the spinning up the wheels with the engine.
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 09:18 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: I've not been able to do much but I did try to twisting the shaft and there doesn't seem to be any play there. Just thought should I try twisting with some lock on the wheel?

I've still to try the spinning up the wheels with the engine.

DeeTurbo, what was the outcome, how did you solve this vibration issue? I have more or less the same symptoms.
Thanks given by:
Haha, well it turned out to be the exhaust not hanging right and the grinding type noise was coming from the CV joint.

But on the way home tonight I've noticed I've noticed there's another vibration again. Going to check the exhaust again but the vibration isn't like before.
Thanks given by:
Well it's turned out to be the engine mount, the new mount I fitted in the spring.

[Image: IMG_20131207_111856_zpsz6cupvx1.jpg]

Bloody shitty ECP parts.

Pug one on order now.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasty vibration coming from the rear brakes johnny625 9 3,949 12-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: johnny625
  Strange vibration. decjhawes 12 3,052 21-04-2017, 05:22 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  VIBRATION- balancing and tracking done thealphanoob 0 1,049 22-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Last Post: thealphanoob