Losing the will with my 306

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing the will with my 306
I bought my 306 back in October 2012, thinking she was a steal at £650 with full years MOT and 1 month tax. Only to find that she needed 2 new tyres (£100), new head gasket and timing belt (£250), rear left arch welded (£50) and lots of other bits and pieces. And now she's got a serious banging noise that's gonna need fixed (and sadly it is not just someone locked in the boot!).

I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's seriously taken its toll on ny views of my car. I think it's an utter pile of dung that's ready for the Scrappers, it's only good point is it's clean interior and well running engine. The bodywork is awful, it's on steel wheels and is just generally slow. I would love to change to an HDI or a D Turbo, but sadly I've no money as it is since tax is up end of this month, and insurance is up for renewal start of June.

Absolute piece of scrap.
Thanks given by:
Ah you bought a keith lemon mate

Always good to take mechanics with you to view cars if you don't know what your looking for yourself. The banging could be a drop link, is it over speed bumps it does it most??

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Does it when turning right, or pulling off and braking at times. My uncles looking at it on Tuesday night cus he's a mechanic, but it's been an utter melt. People keep sayin that once ya get all the problems ironed out it'll be fine, but problems keep cropping up and she's annoying the life outta me!
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a Mount tbh, who knows? you might have a ball joint gone as well.

I know you're losing the will to live with the car, but it just sounds like you bought the car at just the time a majority of parts need replacing.
Crack on with it as best you can and then enjoy driving the car mate, It shall be worth it honestly.

(just bear one other thing in mind; Once you fix these issues, what else is there to go wrong? If you buy another car then you are buying another potential list of problems. Better the devil you know tbh!)
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
i know the feeling fella. was at the same point with my DT a few weeks ago. if you can leave it a week or two. then sit down with a clear head a weigh up what you want to do. i made the choice to pack the project in last night and brake it Sad

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
This is always my argument....

buy a cheap car (sub a grand) and you have to expect to spend money on it...it wont be mint! and stuff breaks!

but if you do fix it...you know its fixed and sorted.

you could sell it or break it and buy a crappy HDi but then have a bigger list of faults that could be even more difficult to fix.

with a cheap car like most 306s, its well worth getting ya hands dirty too as parts are cheap but labor kills your wallet
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 06:54 AM)Piggy Wrote: you could sell it or break it and buy a crappy HDi but then have a bigger list of faults that could be even more difficult to fix

Hmmm this isn't necessarily true, my hdi cost 500 quid and hasnt needed much at all. Have you ever even had an hdi piggy? lol
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Im like this all the time but i just normally give up sell all the good bits off the car and then sell the car or scrap it lol, but i always end up going to buy a 306 agin, and thats what ive done this time to lol new 306 coming soon Wink

Thanks given by:
You didn't buy a dog, just a 1.4...they were all like that 3 years ago when I was buying them so I doubt they've improved since.

306 really haven't taken well to the colder winters and tonne of road salt lately, things go rusty, or seized, or brittle, no matter what model you get. They're also atleast 12 years old now so will all need cambelt, tyres and clutch unless they've been done...and rear arch welding if its a phase 2 or estate. I'm afraid 90% of 306s were just used as workhorses, never cleaned (salty) and public generally don't care about them so they're crap now. Trust me I've seen them get worse over the last few years....

If you can buy a well looked after one from here or any other forum it shouldn't be so bad....but don't forget they've still mostly had 12 years of abuse....

HDi's are still slow and tbh aren't that good on fuel (ask Cully!)...and unless you get a post Y reg which is way out of your budget the tax is high on them as well. Not to mention the increased insurance over the 1.4.

My HDi got into such a state I ended up breaking it - and finding out that they really are worthless, even in parts - and its a top spec one in a decent colour.

I do miss the 306, and I still find myself drawn to them when looking on ebay - but I have no idea why lol. No doubt I'll end up in another eventually (I'll have to to use up the parts I can't seem to sell! Rolleyes ) but it won't be another diesel...only thing I'd come back for now is a 1.8 or a '6 if I could afford the fuel.
Thanks given by:
The 1.4s are painfully slow but in Ireland a HDi or DTurbo will cost you silly money.

I too have bought my fair share of cars with a years MOT that shouldn't of passed, its half the fun. The knocking noise as long as its not too serious and has only just started is only likely to be one part so it cant be anything more than £100.

What sort of knocking is it?
Thanks given by:
I Agree with dum dum diesel 306's here in ni are silly money, mine was only 500 but was 5 door and isn't exactly mint but engine wise is sound.

I saw get it sold and get hunting for a cheap derv be it a dturbo or hdi
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 07:07 AM)rd070707 Wrote:
(15-04-2013, 06:54 AM)Piggy Wrote: you could sell it or break it and buy a crappy HDi but then have a bigger list of faults that could be even more difficult to fix

Hmmm this isn't necessarily true, my hdi cost 500 quid and hasnt needed much at all. Have you ever even had an hdi piggy? lol

no...Im stupid but not been fooled into HDi yet...

maintained enough of them to know XUD ftw
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Of course hes not owned one, since when do you need actual knowledge to throw opinions around on the net!?

As others have said mate, personally id keep going with it and finish the job - at least then you know its been done and is good for another X000 miles.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah, went out and made myself happier with her by buying 40mm lowering springs, now just to get that sorted...looking to check with insurance first for prices tho, might be better waiting till renewal time! I think the knocking problem could potentially be my exhaust, she's bouncing like a friggin kangaroo. My uncles checkin her tomorrow night still though, get her sorted! Family rates and all that. Wink

And thanks a lot for all the support guys, much appreciated. Smile
Thanks given by:
Im in same boat at the moment mate, keep telling myself to just get the problems fixed then it should be sorted. I know getting rid because car has problems and getting another car wont be better as that what I have done and im now getting problems with this car. Keep at it and will last you a good few 1000s miles as everyone else said.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I'm holdin on to her for a while yet till I can afford a decent one, hopefully be able to get one fresh out of England, mate just bought one that's mint. Hardly any miles either!

Good news, turns out it was just an engine stabiliser bush an the exhaust needed a wee tighten, still debating whether I should get the bush changed. Waiting on a price.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acer e15 windows 8 laptop keeps losing Wifi Paul_13 8 2,448 21-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Paul_13
  Losing the enthusiasm for owning fast cars... lewisdmz 42 8,327 13-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Last Post: nominous
  Losing enthusiasm THE_Liam 62 22,506 01-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Eeyore