Engine rebuilt price???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine rebuilt price???
So ...the rallye has been taken away to have the cage finished off and then is off to the spray shop. While its away I think it would be a good idea to give the engine a refresh. It was only completely rebuild about 14000 miles ago however seems silly not to while its out. Can anyone help me with how much I should be looking at to give a very basic freshen up if you like of the engine? Shells , bearings those kind of things. The car ran fine before removed so nothing major , just for piece of mind really. Will be making some calls soon but don't want to be mugged off as I don't know how much to expect. Cheers guys            
Few little pics of progress

Forgot to say , it's the 2.0 mi16 ( heavy I know ) .
Thanks given by:
I've never actually seen a 205 rallye in person, only pictures Sad

Sorry I have no idea about the rebuild btw haha
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
I'd say your mugging yourself off rebuilding a 14k old engine which has no problems!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Indeed, waste of time and money to refesh is, 14K is nothing...

But if you want to be busy , do the shellbearings only
[Image: DSC_5848Custom_zps75885397.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd say your better off doing nothing atall, the shells will be nicely worn in by now and as long as you've looked after the engine they'll be in great condition. New shells wouldn't match up to the crank so you'd have to do the bedding in again.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Only thing I'd do is take off the head, make sure everything is in check, replace head gasket with one of a known origin - (Victor Reinz Multi Layer Steel), redo the belts and water pump and you're good to go.

Little to no point in even doing bearing shells to be honest, I've taken apart 200,000 mile engines and the bearings are good as the day they went in. Long as nothing has gone wrong, it'll be good for many thousands of miles to come.

Head gasket is a common problem, and if not done properly can and will cause issues later on - so get it right now.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Will think long and hard then thank you guys. Just wanted piece of mind really for when it goes back together. Does anyone know where you can get it dipped to look like brand new again? Or would I have to take it apart to get that done so better off sticking with a wire bush and spray paint?

Thanks ruan. Sounds like a plan.
Thanks given by:
Kerosene, wire brush and an industrial steamcleaner will get even the mankiest engine looking like new
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best price on group N engine mount kit puglove 3 882 19-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Last Post: puglove