Misfire/Lumpy idle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misfire/Lumpy idle
I have a 1998 306 1.6 8v and it has been messing me about and im about tired of it.

The car starts fine on cold mornings etc. no problem there. Runs 100% when on the choke then just as the engine begins to warm it will begin to misfire under load. i can keep the engine on 4 cyl. if i feather the throttle at 20% or so then as the revs build up to about 3500rpm i can build on the throttle to about 75% throttle but once the engine is up to temp it is a bugger of a thing to keep on 4cyl and drops to 2 or 3 cyls under load. Also on idle, it is really lumpy sometimes drops to 3 cyl. Pops a bit too like a small backfire.

I knew the previous owner and he drove the car with not back silencer for about 5000 miles. Exhaust valves burnt out due to no back pressure???

I came round a bend and hit a deep flood at night and this is when the problem began at first. I sucked out water from round the sparks and improved a bit... but then got just as bad. Could the water have damage the HT Leads???

Shortly after the flood incident, i replaced the spark plugs and coil pack : no change/improvement.

I have been told that the exhaust valves could be burnt out. Also, the ht leads could be cooked. Compression could be messed. Mass airflow sensor could be malfunctioning.

Im at the end of the road with the car but want to give it another chance because its such a little workhorse.

Helllllppp!
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2013, 12:04 AM)Sedan Styling Wrote: I came round a bend and hit a deep flood at night and this is when the problem began at first. I sucked out water from round the sparks and improved a bit... but then got just as bad. Could the water have damage the HT Leads???

Perhaps a bit more than the HT leads fella...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
^^ yeah... Did you take out the plugs and crank it over to see if any water got in the cylinders?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Thanks given by:
Cheers grant. loads a help there.

Yeah sucked a good bit of water out with a syringe
Thanks given by:
Tbh it doesn't sound promising. Could be you hydro locked it and damaged some valves in which case, I'd bang a new engine in. They can be had dirt cheap on 106 moaners
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2013, 08:39 AM)Sedan Styling Wrote: Cheers grant. loads a help there.

Yeah sucked a good bit of water out with a syringe

Sorry. Perhaps ill sit and write a longer, more in depth answer next time, out of my work time. If you want more help ask, im more than happy to share whatever I may know, but with those mannerisms I wont bother.

You sound as if you know a fair bit about cars, go and google hydrolocking and engine...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.4 tu3jp (KFW) intermittent misfire SketchYDG 1 1,542 16-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Will97