hdi, hdi dturbo or dturbo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hdi, hdi dturbo or dturbo
Behave... HDi isnt that bad, and im sure you can get limited torque maps.. londanlad pulled 152bhp and low torque. I have huge respect for xud, plenty of character too but id rather have the HDi niggles than risk shooting a rod at similar power levels

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2013, 06:32 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 03:04 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: 1905cc XUD . . . spoke to a few mechanics that reckon HDI was the worst thing they ever did to that engine . . . .and i agree Smile

I second this.

140+ and you mean have rod issues...but not all do.

and with a hdi over 140+ and you huge clutch issues!

2.0hdi....worst thing they did imo

Pffftt... Christ you chat shit! Standard dturbos have popped rods at idle ffs so this 140 your safe, 150 you aren't is bollocks IMO.. Some blow some dont its luck and how you abuse it....

I'd also like to point out my old HDi/Mrs current has been over 270lbft and 155bhp for over a year without one sign of clutch slip and its a standard Valeo!also hasn't had ANY problems electrical or mechanical..

Must be magic then since its the worst thing pug did to the xud9 /sarcasm
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
But then as far as I'm aware I'm the only person here to have made over 300lb.ft torque, make over 175hp and have done 40,000 miles on one engine with not one rod issue?

Yes there was the head lifting problem - but I guarantee a HDi making that power would have the same problems, they use the same bolts and if anything DI Cylinder pressures will be higher.

Don't get me wrong, Direct Injection and Common Rail is a SIGNIFICANTLY better technology, there's no denying that, if I had the time I'd love to sit down and put my brains to EDC15 - but unless you are simply doing a stage 1 remap - you're the devils' child on any chiptuning forum and it's only hostility that you receive because everyone treats you that you are purely trying to make a quick buck, however people saying that XUDs instantly blow rods over 150hp is crap. I know of HDis that have shat rods at past 170hp... And I know of DW8s at 65hp that have as well...

However, when tuned a HDi simply doesn't have any sort of "sporty" feel to it, you change gear at 3700rpm, destroy the clutch with torque, the throttle pedal is just something that you press to go faster, it's not responsive at all - it's just an extension of what Peugeot did for 90hp.

It's just that thus far I've yet to see a HDi that I've thought - "Fook me, that looks proper fun to drive" or driven one...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Let's just agree both engines are shit.... lol /troll

Imo, one of the main problems with the XUD and the reason I'd never own one is because you have to have it in a phase 1/2 unless you go to the hassle of an engine swap. And for me ph1s are far too old, phase 2s are rusty, low specced with a budget exterior (black faded plastic everywhere) and don't have the toys the ph3 does...266s, rear discs and working abs for a start.

I've completely stripped my hdi in the last couple of days and really surprised how good a condition the mechanical parts were in, the clutch was shiny and ruined, and some of the ally parts had fine really brittle and snapped as i removed them, but the head, cams, pistons, crank, block etc all looked like they could've been made yesterday. Far better than the PD I stripped, but that must mean ALL the issues are/were with electrics and management which imo is a shame seeing how good the mechanical side was.
Thanks given by:
True Ruan, Johnny's estate developed head issues

but let's face it your good at tuning xuds, lots of xuds are running silly fuelling to spool up the big turbos and there's got to be a skill to it, too many xud owners open their pumps fanny about put it back together wack the fuelling up and probably aren't sure if their potentially damaging things in the long term IMO, its a tweeking game with the xud and its why I'd of wanted you or Darren to do my pump, whereas HDI owners have no control over their fuel levels, just specify what you want from the tuner

As for the drive of an HDI its each to their own, I like the instant boost and torque, IMO mid range is where its at on a derv, the fuels atomised more efficiently and by keeping the power relatively within stock parameters delivery wise probably helps engine reliability over xuds that rev to 5k with the short gearboxes

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Pfft, redlining a diesel with plumes of coal coming out is where its at tbh... lol

But I do agree with that, I think ruan forgets that he is bloody good with tuning mechanical diesels whereas 70% of us wouldn't have a clue. And I'd hate knowing all the time that there was no accuracy to it....I could've added a damaging amount of fuel, or not enough and getting massive egts....and wouldn't know until its too late. With a map it has been specifically designed with accuracy by someone that knows what they're doing (and more importantly, not myself!) to be as good as possible for efficiency and reliability as well as power.

But I do agree with ruan about the drive if the hdi though, the power band is tiny and the turbo is really 'gentle' you never get that kick with a std or stage 1 hdi, then its tailed off just above 3k and you're changing gear again. With better gearing and a well matched vnt (not just the biggest one around lol) I reckon the hdi would have more fun to it....but thsts just my opinion anyway.

I'm fed up with my vec atm cos its so laggy (need to investigate air leak issue, probably egr again, stupid bloody emmisions systems.....) but when it does come on boost, you really do get a kick up the arse and a bit of adrenaline and feeling of torque. Plus it loves to rev and holds the.power almost to the redline. It's not particularly quick, infact due the weight its probably not much quicker than my stage 1d estate, but the drive and feel is completely different...
Thanks given by:
Buy a golf /thread
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2013, 06:09 PM)tysonbully2k12 Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 05:43 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote: you buy it? She just text me saying it was sold...

no i didnt buy it, thought you did, she text me too, ah sure id say twas a ball of shit Big Grin ill wait for a d turbo i think Big Grin your not selling one no?? Smile
Yeah, said some guy met her at work and gave her asking price, must of been keen, i probly wouldhave bought it for 550 just to sell on to be honest..
I bet you itll pop up for sale in tipperary in another few weeks Wink

And i have a dturbo there, phase 1 diablo, needs put back together, not for sale though Tongue

Also who really cares about which engine is better ye bunch of gays!?!!!

Each engine has its merits, hdi mainly economy, refined quietness, xud mechanical feedback, cheap to tune and pretty much bombproof engine.
Having said that the hdi would be bombproof too if the french had contracted the electric side to someone else, all their electrics arent great....
Realll shame they didnt do a Mechanically pumped DI, would of been epic if they had i think!
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2013, 07:55 PM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 06:32 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 03:04 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: 1905cc XUD . . . spoke to a few mechanics that reckon HDI was the worst thing they ever did to that engine . . . .and i agree Smile

I second this.

140+ and you mean have rod issues...but not all do.

and with a hdi over 140+ and you huge clutch issues!

2.0hdi....worst thing they did imo

Pffftt... Christ you chat shit! Standard dturbos have popped rods at idle ffs so this 140 your safe, 150 you aren't is bollocks IMO.. Some blow some dont its luck and how you abuse it....

I'd also like to point out my old HDi/Mrs current has been over 270lbft and 155bhp for over a year without one sign of clutch slip and its a standard Valeo!also hasn't had ANY problems electrical or mechanical..

Must be magic then since its the worst thing pug did to the xud9 /sarcasm

hit a nerve lol . . . . . it's personal preference buddy, not chatting shit, HDI leaves me cold, if it tickles your balls then fair play, apart from the low revving, clutch raping, uninspiring feeling you get, they DO suffer bad from electrical probs, it's a no brainer for me but if yours is doing well then that's good . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Hahah that escalated quickly! Tbf in my original post (that seems to have started this - whoops), i actually said there are similar stereotypes for XUDs, didn't make any mention about the accuracy of said stereotypes. And the rest was just responding in kind to nonsense. Wink

I've had both, and funnily enough have had significant fuelling problems with both. My HDi is a revvier, more exciting drive than the XUD ever was (both stage 1), but that's because i went to Steve with specific requirements and got him to map it properly. It's a case of horses for courses, as ever lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Bloody hell! Ye lots menstruation cycles finally synced up??????

Anyway tyson, re reading thread, you ideally wanna get a van if you plan on ripping out back seats anyway, much cheaper tax n cheaper insurance.
Was a cheap provence blue dturbo one for sale down your way other week for 500.
Theres a dturbo one in cavan but hes looking too much imo, 1300..

Or you could just go for an nad van, theyre common as muck but no fun to drive
Thanks given by:
Matt, the reply was to Piggy, i couldn't be bothered to edit out your reply lol.

A lot of what people seem to forget is it's about HOW the power and torque is delivered.. if it all comes in one massive lump you'll get that 'kick' but it's going to ruin the clutch, a more progressive power delivery with the same peak will get you there just as fast without the clutch rapeage..

Ruan, you did have to use mechanical sympathy though, it wouldn't have last long if it was matted from 1000rpm on that VNT lol.. Again though, because that torque and power was kept up high it's less strain on the clutch..

One last thing, all of this XUD's are easier to tune is balls.. if you are good at mechanical tuning then it'll be easy for you but it is not easier than plugging it in and flashing a map to a HDi.. people might tend to forget too that a HDi can make near enough 170bhp on a decent map and standard turbo with just adding a FMIC.. If you wanted that sort of power from a XUD you'd be looking at big turbo territory, FMIC, 11mm pump etc..

Everyone has there own personal preference to which engine they prefer.. (Personally i prefer my '6 lump better than both but... Tongue) but the fact is they are both very capable engines when they've had the proper mods and time put into them
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The 306 hdi and xud diesel are both good cars. Down this way people go mad for these cars because there cheap, reliable, easy to fix, mpg, rust rare, well built if looked after properly.

My car been of the road 1 year and 2 months while doing work to it and mods thats why its never on here!. In this time the amount of people who ask about buying the car or what Im doing with it. That just shows what people want now days even in the past.

The old cars were changed to the new cars due to emmsions rules. Also people wanting more mpg in the cars etc.

The older cars are easyer to fix and repair but do less mpg. Some are reliable and some are not depends who had the car and whats been done also what hasn't etc.

Some of the new cars are easy to fix and repair. Then others can be a big job fixing etc. But they do more mpg and cheaper tax. Some are reliable and some are not depends who had the car and whats been done also what hasn't etc.

There no point fighting over is the xud best or hdi best. Both cars have changed with the times and allways will. But I think there both good cars just get what you want.
Thanks given by:
hey it's cool....i'm not drunk this morning either lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2013, 11:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Pfft, redlining a diesel with plumes of coal coming out is where its at tbh... lol

But I do agree with that, I think ruan forgets that he is bloody good with tuning mechanical diesels whereas 70% of us wouldn't have a clue. And I'd hate knowing all the time that there was no accuracy to it....I could've added a damaging amount of fuel, or not enough and getting massive egts....and wouldn't know until its too late. With a map it has been specifically designed with accuracy by someone that knows what they're doing (and more importantly, not myself!) to be as good as possible for efficiency and reliability as well as power.

But I do agree with ruan about the drive if the hdi though, the power band is tiny and the turbo is really 'gentle' you never get that kick with a std or stage 1 hdi, then its tailed off just above 3k and you're changing gear again. With better gearing and a well matched vnt (not just the biggest one around lol) I reckon the hdi would have more fun to it....but thsts just my opinion anyway.

I'm fed up with my vec atm cos its so laggy (need to investigate air leak issue, probably egr again, stupid bloody emmisions systems.....) but when it does come on boost, you really do get a kick up the arse and a bit of adrenaline and feeling of torque. Plus it loves to rev and holds the.power almost to the redline. It's not particularly quick, infact due the weight its probably not much quicker than my stage 1d estate, but the drive and feel is completely different...

Your experience of an HDI is not valid; becauseshed...

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2013, 11:19 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 06:09 PM)tysonbully2k12 Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 05:43 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote: you buy it? She just text me saying it was sold...

no i didnt buy it, thought you did, she text me too, ah sure id say twas a ball of shit Big Grin ill wait for a d turbo i think Big Grin your not selling one no?? Smile
Yeah, said some guy met her at work and gave her asking price, must of been keen, i probly wouldhave bought it for 550 just to sell on to be honest..
I bet you itll pop up for sale in tipperary in another few weeks Wink

And i have a dturbo there, phase 1 diablo, needs put back together, not for sale though Tongue

Also who really cares about which engine is better ye bunch of gays!?!!!

Each engine has its merits, hdi mainly economy, refined quietness, xud mechanical feedback, cheap to tune and pretty much bombproof engine.
Having said that the hdi would be bombproof too if the french had contracted the electric side to someone else, all their electrics arent great....
Realll shame they didnt do a Mechanically pumped DI, would of been epic if they had i think!

all i was going to pay was 500, sure let someone else have it now,, ha dont like phase1's rather phase 2 Big Grin ah sure d turbo is the way to go Smile

(06-04-2013, 10:05 AM)sweeney1987 Wrote: Bloody hell! Ye lots menstruation cycles finally synced up??????

Anyway tyson, re reading thread, you ideally wanna get a van if you plan on ripping out back seats anyway, much cheaper tax n cheaper insurance.
Was a cheap provence blue dturbo one for sale down your way other week for 500.
Theres a dturbo one in cavan but hes looking too much imo, 1300..

Or you could just go for an nad van, theyre common as muck but no fun to drive

i was going getting a van but no one would insure me if i didnt have a job but im doing a course Dodgy
[Image: 13073041_458228241037318_1249062425_o_zpsoh6qf7gu.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(06-04-2013, 06:29 PM)Arron Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 11:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Pfft, redlining a diesel with plumes of coal coming out is where its at tbh... lol

Your experience of an HDI is not valid; becauseshed...

Bit rude about SRowells car Aaron. Tongue
Thanks given by:
6 in one, half of 12 in the other! I prefer xud, tried to make mine throw a rod but couldnt, all in the tuning imo
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dturbo HDi 5 doors highwayman306 107 36,257 03-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Last Post: highwayman306
  306 hdi driveshaft fit a dturbo? L.J 5 1,507 18-04-2015, 04:11 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  First time owner 306 hdi dturbo x112mes Dougieboy1 11 1,638 27-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Dougieboy1