Timing issue

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timing issue
Video 
Trying to time up the XUD, cutting a long story short; I have I locking flywheel, any way to time without locking the crank/fly?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
"I have I locking flywheel"

Dosnt make sence?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Sorry, iPhone quick typing.

The flywheel had to be replaced, the locking point on the block doesn't line up to the locking point on the fly.

The fly that came off was from a boxer; slightly larger external diameter (the cluth contact area) and for some reason has a lower locking point than that of the 306 fly. I need the 306 fly for clutch and pressure plate. That's the long story anywho. Typing it now I'm settled for the evening.
Thanks given by:
Confused, your saying the hole in the block is in a different place?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Yes; myself and max also stumped.
Assumed XUD is an XUD but apparently not. The flywheel locked in the donor engine (to get the 306 fly off) yet on the boxer block, the timing hole is lower
Thanks given by:
How weird, never come across that before, which is rare as ive had like 50 xuds thro this shop lol...remove starter and show pics, seems really odd...

Timing without it will be a farce tbh as being an IDI you cant get a DTI on the piston to do it manually... probs have to put other flywheel on, lock it, put tipex mark on fly and bottom area of block (so u can see from fly inspection plate), change flywheels without letting the motor move an inch (mark other end from wides point possible on crnak pulley to be sure) and then transfer mark onto new fly and use that to time it...bit of a farce, still a little confused as ive genuninly never come across an xud with the hole in a different place..that hole is generic across xuds / xu's / tu's / dw motors, all thesame size hole in the same place, so a little confused to how its moved...you sure new flywheel is adeffo an xud one?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(03-04-2013, 07:45 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: How weird, never come across that before, which is rare as ive had like 50 xuds thro this shop lol...remove starter and show pics, seems really odd...

Timing without it will be a farce tbh as being an IDI you cant get a DTI on the piston to do it manually... probs have to put other flywheel on, lock it, put tipex mark on fly and bottom area of block (so u can see from fly inspection plate), change flywheels without letting the motor move an inch (mark other end from wides point possible on crnak pulley to be sure) and then transfer mark onto new fly and use that to time it...bit of a farce, still a little confused as ive genuninly never come across an xud with the hole in a different place..that hole is generic across xuds / xu's / tu's / dw motors, all thesame size hole in the same place, so a little confused to how its moved...you sure new flywheel is adeffo an xud one?

i understand, we were going to start tip'exing etc, or i thought perhaps attempt to drill a new locking hole on the fly.

and yes, we're very confused - i'll try and get a pic tomorrow if i can.

As for the fly, yes, i'm positive. My engine, came from the boxer, and the donor engine is max's, which is from a 306.

the actual locking hole is about 30mm lower than the locking point on the 306 block, and ofcourse, subsequently lower than the locking point on the fly.

Appreciate the input darren, i'll see what i can sort out tomorrow, i'll try get it uploaded by 1pm 'ish

got to pick up a new drivshaft tomorrow - the shaft today had to come out with the engine and required a severe amount of sledge hammer'ing. Seized in absoloutely solid. typical for a 23 year old derv on 216k Doh
Thanks given by:
Get pics of both blocks, and flywheels and whatever you can.

Is engine IN the car? or out? because if its out then it would be easy to fix...only reason im suggesting tip ex is im assuming engines in car...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Ah, the engine is out, was going to go in tomorrow
Thanks given by:
Ah, in that case just lock it with fly that fits, jam the crank and re drill for hole on other fly
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Ah ok. I did try locking the original fly (before I realised it was a different size) and couldn't lock it at all. I must've done something wrong with this. I'll get on it tomorrow
Thanks given by:
you sure you got the right hole?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'm sure.unless there's another hole been blocked by dirt :/
Thanks given by:
Im sure there is another hole or blank or sumit behind the starter...I gota block outside....hang on...
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
this is the D8a block..

[Image: 20130404_072445_zpsdfeb3bb5.jpg]

tbh I have never had issues with the timing pin before...
used to do a few cambelts a day on pugs/cits between the techs in the workshop...always use the fly locking hole...never an issue?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
yeh - i'll try get a boxer block picture later - the locating hole is about 30mm lower - see where the lower crest in the block is, surrounding your locating pin, the boxer is lower :\
Thanks given by:
@darren - just had a though - the fly is well balanced - will drilling out 15mm or so upset the balance?
Thanks given by:
Dont drill the flywheel, drill the block, theres already a hole in the flywheel surely
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
^^^defo!

DONT drill the fly!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So managed to lock it up. Two of us with a camera to find the locking point.

I think what happened is the hole in the block is larger than that of the fly. Used the smallest key possible, found the locking point and carefully timed it up. All seems to be ok and lined up for now. Credits to strictlyderv also
Thanks given by:
So the hole wast in a different place....

Epic thread fail?!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
temp ban for Ginge for wasting forum resources? . . . . . . .jus sayin' . . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Not quite epic fail. The locking hole was larger than the flywheel hole; I was using a too large of Allen key, slight fail on my part. But it's all together, cranks nicely. Will hopefully have it in tomorrow to seeing it can tick over
Thanks given by:
Thought i was reading a load of *** lol, of all the ten milloin xuds ive worked on over the years, ive never seen a cast with hole in different place, I think this calls for some serious epic fail trolling to be fair.....
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
/sigh

Ok, let it commence
Thanks given by:
epic fail.

My timing pin I use has a different shaft length along it...so smaller tip for fly...I assumed that was normal?!

as if you use just an allen key you can still rock it on pin so to speak?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timing / Pump Issue macleod8901 6 1,951 06-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Last Post: darrenjlobb
  Possible timing issue post headgasket change?! Tom 22 3,620 23-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Last Post: padge