Help needed asap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed asap
Tried changing headlights today and can't get the bastard screws out the top one on passenger side is already cut off the inner one behind the grill has come out halfway and stopped tried cutting a groove in it but its not moving
Dragoon Blue Estate in a bit of a State
Thanks given by:
Slow down fella. Use a little punctuation and it may be easier for us to read
Maybe even take a picture?
From what I got the screw in the top tab of the light isn't coming out? Get the dremel out :-) either cut a slice down it and use a screwdriver or get in there and cut the whole thing off
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sorry I'm dyslexic didn't notice

The top one has already been cut off by previous owner there is just a stem in there

The one behind the grill has come out half way and stopped already laced it with wd40 and cut a groove in it to try using a screw driver on it but had no joy
Thanks given by:
Soak it in plus gas (give it a good few hours if not overnight) as thats the best penetrating fluid then pliers to turn it.

If not try heating it then freezing it.

Maybe grind 6 sides on it and hammer a socket on or 2 sides and a very small (adjustable) spanner.

Worst comes to the worst drill and tap it. I can do it for you if you were closer. 5 or 5.5mm drill bit and an M6 tap
Thanks given by:
Bloody thing has sheared off now managed to bodge head light back on so now I'm stuck with 2 studs sticking out with no way to get them out massive help needed what can I do
Thanks given by:
Leave it? My lights were held in by one bolt each when I got the car lol.... lol
Thanks given by:
Need to sort it as the only one holding it in properly is the one underneath

The ones on the other side arnt much better
Thanks given by:
If theres part sticking out then you should be able to remove it. If not B&Q sell a small tap set for a few quid.
Thanks given by:
There is quite a bit of them sticking out so I'm gonna try mole grips tommorow if that don't work ill have to try something different
Thanks given by:
Id offer to do it for you but Wolverhampton is a mission and all my tools are at my mums 30 miles from here.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that mate I'm sure ill sort it one way or another think my uncle has a set of bits to tap a hole so worst comes to worse ill drill it out and retap the holes I've soaked the remaining in wd40 and tommorow ill try the mole grips
Thanks given by:
If you need new lights I've got phase 3 in perfect condition and not far from you
Thanks given by:
I have the lights mate its the screws/bolts I'm having the problems with seems in the 2 months since they were last out they have all rusted in 3 out the 6 have now snapped/ sheared off 1 came out but it's totally unusable thanks for the HU though
Thanks given by:
Had this problem with my old car, got them all out eventually and bought new bolts from Pug.

Had the problem again today when I changed the headlights, except only 4 bolts as the others weren't there. One on the top and one in the middle is what sheared on mine today. They screw into a 13mm captive nut on the slam panel, after trying to get them out with screw drivers, dremel and allen keys I decided to just break the nuts off and use my own nuts and bolts. Found an M8 bolt and nut with a washer is just right for it. One of my headlights in now partly held in with the seat bolt from my old car.

Don't forget copper grease. After I did the ones on the old car I used general purpose grease and when I took them out when breaking they came out fine, despite being in there for over 18 months.

The top ones are easy to do as nut+bolt as there is room, middle ones are a tad more tricky as I had to move the reservoir, rad and fans out the way in order ot get my fingers in there long enough for the bolt to take hold. Not that tricky though, 2-3 bolts and a couple clips.
Thanks given by:
M8 for both top and middle mate I've gotta get the drill out on Monday and drill out the ones that have sheared off and if an m8 nut and bolt work I ain't gonna bother re tapping them
Thanks given by:
Don't bother drilling them out either, just break the nut off.
Thanks given by:
Just an FYI, the bolt and nut idea will make them much more of a pita to remove/refit in future. If you plan on keeping the car dum-dum's suggestion would be the better solution imo. As bigcheez says, grease is key.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just a quick thanks to all you guys for your advice on this got it sorted and I must say what a great improvement the crystals are over the frosted lights just been out they are so much brighter

However it seems I got ripped off on eBay cos the stalk I got my mate to put in for me ain't from a phase 3 cos the dipped bulb goes out when I switch to main beam
Thanks given by:
Why do they make the ph2/3 headlights so difficult???....the ph1 is all m6 bolts...simples...why did they change?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Is it possible to wire the stalks up wrong..?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just plug and play isn't it? Can't really do that wrong.

I had the same issue though, bought a 'ph3 auto' wiper stalk as well as a light stalk..........turned out both were from a ph2, no twin optics and no auto setting, tards. Dodgy

(09-04-2013, 06:17 AM)Piggy Wrote: Why do they make the ph2/3 headlights so difficult???....the ph1 is all m6 bolts...simples...why did they change?!

To intentionally make it difficult....thats the only reason for Torx bolts. Most people didn't have torx sets so had to take the car into the garage for work....nowadays everyone has them though lol.
Thanks given by: