Resonator bung

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resonator bung
Were can I get one? Is there much difference in performance?
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nothing proven in terms of performance I don't think? Can't see how it would make any noticeable difference.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
It reduces inlet manifold volume, marginally increasing pick-up, and how quickly the manifold returns to vacuum coming off the throttle.
Downsides supposedly is it reduces the harmonic resonance of the inlet tract at lower to mid rpms, supposedly marginally reducing torque.

Simplistically I would think of it as follows though; "Makes a nice noise, costs £12"

Can be bought of the '6 forum.
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I have one that never got fitted to my 6 Wink

Thanks given by:
A tube of chemical metal jammed in the whole will do the same job and cost a fraction of the price.

They do make a good noise.
Thanks given by:
i had one on my 1.8. sounded good. Never had the resonator box though so no idea what it was like without one!
Thanks given by:
I have one complete with manifold. Ill be knocking a few more up soon!
Thanks given by:
Lost 4lb/ft of torque, didn't gain any hp...
JP
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2013, 08:20 PM)jammapic Wrote: Lost 4lb/ft of torque, didn't gain any hp...

but you gained a million awesomes in sound right?
Thanks given by:
is it worth doing?
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't. £30 lighter, less torque...
JP
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2013, 08:20 PM)jammapic Wrote: Lost 4lb/ft of torque, didn't gain any hp...

Same rr same day?

Thanks given by:
4lb/ft isnt even comparable on a dyno in the same day imo, and besides, does anyone really care about 4 ft pounds Wink
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2013, 08:36 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: 4lb/ft isnt even comparable on a dyno in the same day imo, and besides, does anyone really care about 4 ft pounds Wink

That's what I'm thinking. But would be nice to know if its the same day exc Wink plus I would sacrifice it for the epic noise gained lmao

Thanks given by:
4lb/ft averaged over how many runs with how long between runs mate?

Be interested to know cos Ive cars pull almost 20lb/ft different on back to back runs seconds apart.
Thanks given by:
Seconds apart dum. All other runs neigh on identical.

It certainly doesn't gain you anything!
JP
Thanks given by:
How did you swap the resonator in seconds though jp? Surely it's a manifold off job?
And surely even back to back runs will cause heatsoak in parts of the engine which would easily account for a reduction in torque?
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(22-03-2013, 03:37 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: How did you swap the resonator in seconds though jp? Surely it's a manifold off job?
And surely even back to back runs will cause heatsoak in parts of the engine which would easily account for a reduction in torque?

Well providing the engine was up to temp for both runs, it doesnt matter does it? Your not going to run the engine at standard temp with the resonator and then do your best to keep it at 40 degrees with the box back on!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(22-03-2013, 03:37 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: How did you swap the resonator in seconds though jp? Surely it's a manifold off job?

Thats what I was getting at, I tried removing a resonator with the manifold in place and failed. From what JP is saying though it sounds like none of the runs increased the power and 4lb/ft was the smallest loss (or am i reading that wrong)

I suppose if the swap is done as fast as possible then its the best test were ever going to get until someone invents a de-resonator flap that operates at the flick of a switch.

IMO its worth 4lb/ft for the noise.
Thanks given by:
You don't gain anything but a cock stiffening sound!

So what if you lose 4lb/ft???

You save weight taking off the resonator... Wink
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You can pop the resonator off the bottom and let it dangle below (theres about 5cm room to do so) which lets you fit the bung.

I have to say, I did leave the bung in for the noise tbh ;-)
JP
Thanks given by:
Hmmm what does it sound like? Never heard a 6 with one
Thanks given by:
^^^ It sounds EPIC!
Thanks given by:
I had a few people ask if I had throttle bodies the other day at Curborough sprint circuit - it sounds that good! Smile

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Sounds awesome. Can buy mine for £20 Wink
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Hmmm maybe might do when I put the new head on Smile
Thanks given by:
Have a look at the service box for the GTi6 manifold, it looks like pug do their own resonator bung for the manifold for about £12.
Thanks given by:
If you go on my project thread Sam, there is a video of my car on the RR and that has a bung... Wink
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gti6 resonator bung Josh_Quant 2 1,277 16-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Last Post: cully