simple HDI mods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
simple HDI mods
I have gutted my cat and put straight pipe on to replace the back box and its not much louder tbh
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I found gutting the cat made the turbo spool sound a lot louder, if your bro wants noice, that's probably the way to go. Cheaper too. Big Grin
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(18-03-2013, 10:42 PM)Poodle Wrote: I found gutting the cat made the turbo spool sound a lot louder, if your bro wants noice, that's probably the way to go. Cheaper too. Big Grin

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
gets a bit irritating after a while though
Thanks given by:
gutted cat it is then

Can't beat the sound of a turbo spooling up! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
what gains can be had with a straight through exhaust and k&n filter without the remap?
Thanks given by:
You'll get a bit better turbo spool up and top end, and also a dead maf.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Welding a straight pipe in place is nice and easy to do and even cheaper than the mid box mod .. all in all mine cost me £5 and that was for the chrome tip haha ..
Thanks given by:
Cutting out the cat and replacing it with a straight piece of pipe works very well and has a number of advantages:
1) Middle finger up to cat thieves
2) Less restriction behind the turbo, means it runs cooler
3) Cooler turbo directly translates to more efficient engine (lower intake charge temperature)
4) And less thermal stress on turbo and other engine components = more reliable

Just for goodness sake, don't throw away that cat, especially if it is a genuine one Doh

If you don't know where to take it, PM me with the numbers on it and I'll buy it off you Idea Instant paypal payment if you'e too far away to meet in person.
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2013, 06:28 PM)mercfan Wrote: Cutting out the cat and replacing it with a straight piece of pipe works very well and has a number of advantages:
1) Middle finger up to cat thieves
2) Less restriction behind the turbo, means it runs cooler
3) Cooler turbo directly translates to more efficient engine (lower intake charge temperature)
4) And less thermal stress on turbo and other engine components = more reliable

Just for goodness sake, don't throw away that cat, especially if it is a genuine one Doh

If you don't know where to take it, PM me with the numbers on it and I'll buy it off you Idea Instant paypal payment if you'e too far away to meet in person.
Dear god are people steeling cats off cars now?
Thanks given by:
They have been for a while.
Thanks given by:
Havent heard of it here tbh just general metal etc being stolen, the world is fcuko'd
Thanks given by:
Been going on for a while. Know a few people with cars which have the sensor behind the cat where it got nicked and it ended up writing off the car.
Car manufacturers were given a fair bit of grief over this, so some have taken steps to help, mounting it right up at the manifold bolting it to the engine, etc.
But a lot have not done this. HDI's and similar are a particular target, especially the DPF ones.
Cut mine out the moment I got it.
If yours is still on, listen out for activity with a car or van pulling up playing loud music. Common trick to mask the sound of the cordless saw. They use a skinny chap who crawls all the way underneath the car to do the dirty deed. Make out you're checking the oil or something just to hang around, but be carefull. Due to the money involved, these crooks go equipped and whilst avoiding hassle, won't think twice about using violence if they get caught in the act.

Admin ought to put this up somewhere for all to be aware of.
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2013, 10:40 PM)Arron Wrote: I had my silencer cut open and gutted. Makes quite a bit of difference to response but its not loud on idle or pootling

HI ARON, I NOTICE YOUVE DONE THE INTERCOOLER CONVERSION, WOULD IT BE POSIBLE TO PM ME SOME INFO AN SHOW ME SOME PICS OF YOUR SET UP SO IL BE AWARE WHEN FITTIING MINE? THANKS
Thanks given by: