f*cking...POTHOLES !!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
f*cking...POTHOLES !!!
Star 
Was driving down the road the other day and went over a pothole & dip in the road, then i heard a real loud bang from front left area!

Driven it slowly on the road and its ok unless up hit a big bump and then you hear a bang as the car comes back down on the suspension, steerings fine etc

I've not had time to look at the car as I'm busy packing to move house Wednesday and won't have time to sort before moving, so may have to pay for a garage to £ra*e me ! Could it be a broken balljoint, ARB? I know it's just a guess etc

This and the bad news about mot and airbag...maybe its new car time but no dollar..so ???
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Stick with it, it'll be cheaper. As for the suspensiony noise, jack up the front and give everything a good shake, should be able to see what's up.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
buggering things...huge ding in my new rim from a huge pothole I couldnt avoid too
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a snapped spring to me. Does it feel completely fine?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
It's not a life or death matter, only money but I don't need all this car grief as well as mot, tax insurance and moving costs/stresses - all within 2 weeks

@ jonny- I've replaced both tensioners twice and now the airbag control unit and under seat connections...time to give up?

(17-03-2013, 07:39 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Sounds like a snapped spring to me. Does it feel completely fine?

It does, I thought that but cars level..??

Thanks given by:
there is an option of fitting resistors right at the airbag ECU on all inputs/outputs whistle
Thanks given by:
Ive got exatly the same problem no idea what it is bit hard to try and find it when it only bangs if it hits a shape pot hole, just wait for some thing to fall off lol

Thanks given by:
(17-03-2013, 07:49 PM)cully Wrote: there is an option of fitting resistors right at the airbag ECU on all inputs/outputs whistle

^this.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(17-03-2013, 07:49 PM)cully Wrote: there is an option of fitting resistors right at the airbag ECU on all inputs/outputs whistle

Cully do you mean 1 x 4ohm resistor in the plugs by the airbag ecu, than then feed the tensioners? If so any resistor etc as I know nothing about electrics lol. Does it matter which way around a resistor is placed or..?

Thanks given by:
cut all the wires to the bags/tensioners and ad resistors to each wire

Thanks given by:
Sorry I'm shocking at electrics and dont follow lol

Could I not put a resistor in each orange plug that are under the centre console where the wiring heads off under the carpet to come up under the seat?

Thanks given by:
(17-03-2013, 10:11 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: Sorry I'm shocking at electrics and dont follow lol

If i were you id get someone else to do it or you could have a whole heap of trouble
Thanks given by:
True but it's finding someone cheap, local & can do it next weekend

Thanks given by:
Have a brief look under the car into the area above the wishbone. Does your handling seem worse? check to make sure you haven't snapped a drop link. The newer ones are made out of plastic so break easily as my friend has found out.

£12 each to replace and a 10 minute job if so.
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
I pulled into a layby before and where the rod met the laybe the level dropped (sort of like a pothole) But it was so bad as the wheel went off the edge the sub frame hit the floor! Frightened the shit out of me!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2013, 11:07 PM)Rich306 Wrote: Have a brief look under the car into the area above the wishbone. Does your handling seem worse? check to make sure you haven't snapped a drop link. The newer ones are made out of plastic so break easily as my friend has found out.

The cars feels and drives fine apart from a loud knock when going over a some big bumps, it feels like when the suspension is fully used then there's a loud knock...

It might be a Liam said, a broken spring?

Thanks given by:
(18-03-2013, 07:35 AM)devils_fuel Wrote:
(17-03-2013, 11:07 PM)Rich306 Wrote: Have a brief look under the car into the area above the wishbone. Does your handling seem worse? check to make sure you haven't snapped a drop link. The newer ones are made out of plastic so break easily as my friend has found out.

The cars feels and drives fine apart from a loud knock when going over a some big bumps, it feels like when the suspension is fully used then there's a loud knock...

It might be a Liam said, a broken spring?

I'd just get under the car and have a look buddy. Honestly you'll find out if anything is snapped by having a peek.
I reckon Droplink... Or maybe balljoint.
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Just been to a garage and I have a pair of snapped springs !

Anyone got any -30mm springs for sale?

Thanks given by:
Take photos of the pot hole, with measurements.

I had the same last year i snapped a spring and also snapped the cup ( where the spring sits) off one of the shocks.

I needed the car as soon as possible so i paid for 2 new front springs and shocks and the tracking to be done ( just over 400 quid).

I contacted my local council and they put me through to the claims department, i received a form in the post filled it out, and sent it off with photos of the pot hole i hit and waited, it took a few months and me having to ring them and keep on at them but i eventually received a check in the post to cover the cost of everything.
Thanks given by:
Oddly enough tom my mate just snapped his spring the other night on a pothole too lol
He hit it so hard it also hit the fuel inertia switch haha
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Don't even get me started on them round here! As said though, take photos and claim it back from your council for any costs. I work with someone who drives an M3 and has claimed back £600 from his council (Surrey somewhere) because the state of the roads screwed his suspension and he kept getting punctures. Another guy has a 1 series, went over a pot hole and cracked his alloy, so is also charging the council for that.
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, the above posts are very interesting Smile. Will call council today Smile

Thanks given by:
Had a wishbone bent, snapped ARB Link, bent ARB, rim crack and (3 day old Goodyear) tyre rip via a pothole on the A406 last year on my Volvo, I was furious, sent pictures of the damage and pothole to Barnet Council and also sent a letter to both the Council and the local rag, stating that, and I quote from the letter I wrote, "...we can get on with life and repairs done but what if an Ambulance racing to save a life or carrying a patient had hit that pothole? You Councillors and those who neglect to fix such bad roadways will have death and blood on your hands!..."

The pothole was like a crater :| ...10.7cm deep, 80cm long and 103cm wide...it was pretty much like a manhole cover had been taken, except it was filled with debris and broken remnants of tarmac...

I got paid back the £600 I paid for the repairs, new rim and tyre, the Pothole was mysteriously filled literally a week later and I got a letter from the Council apologising for any 'inconvenience' and that thy were unaware but thankful I had highlighted such bad state of road.

I still hope now that I made them feel very guilty...!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
^^cheers fella Smile

Thanks given by:
No worries mate, if it helps you to include the above line r.e emergency vehicles as a guilt trip to the council then do so...because it's genuine; makes me shudder thinking about what would happen if an ambulance/fire engine/police car on call were to hit such a big pothole like the one I hit or yourself and above members have hit + suffered damage from.

Boils my blood...

...Nuff said lol

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by: