WD40 on windscreen wipers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WD40 on windscreen wipers
Ok, so I've seen a few "tips" around regarding the use of wd40 to clean/lubricate your wipers.

However, I feel a little dubious about how well this will actually work, especially as my windscreen is treated with rain-x.
Anyone on here had any experience with using wd on wipers?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
news to me.

Would think it would be awful.

Just use a damp microfibre cloth, wipe the blade. Job done.

PS sidepoint...I have a bosch for sale wingnutz
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah and if you hold the engine at 4k and pour sand down the inlet itll port your head for you.
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's what I thought, doesn't seem like the wisest idea does it! lol

And thanks, but I have a bosch pump, it just wants a refurb, then fitting! Wink
Thanks given by:
I got one that doesnt need refurbing Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Is it 99p?
Thanks given by:
theres a 99p in there somewhere!!!

Got injectors and lines too
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Lol, fair enough, but I've got lines and injectors on their way to me as we speak, and my pump only cost me 99p, so unless you can beat that, I'll just get mine refurbished! Rofl
Thanks given by:
lmao i think some one was pulling your leg bro. Thats tge sort of thing you do to some one you dont like. Not your self.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
See now that's what I thought, but it's on the official wd40 website as one of its uses! Huh
Thanks given by:
I imagine that it would work.

I mean, you do know what the WD part stands for right?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Well yeah, but I still feel a little reluctant to give it a try, don't want to end up with a smeary windscreen if it reacts with the rain-x.

Was hoping someone on here might have used it, or knows someone who has...
Thanks given by:
Wouldn't it just smear WD40 all over the windscreen and make a right old mess?

Surely the idea of the wiper is there is some friction there so the wiper acts like a sqeegee to move the water off the glass.
If there was little friction wouldn't the water sort of stay in places, lots of little tiny droplets everywhere?
Thanks given by:
You don't want friction though. Brand new wipers are nice and soft, so glide over the surface of the screen. If they had friction they would judder and be incredibly noisy!

I think the idea is that you spray a bit of WD40 on a cloth and wipe it over the blade, to try and extend the life of the rubber and reduce friction against the screen. If it has too much friction then it'll get f*cked in no time and your rubber will split (never good is it lads?)

The wiper arm is designed to hold the blade against the screen which will give sufficient force to bring a healthy blade into contact with the whole sweep area.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
little trick for cleaning up wiper blades - get an old cloth, and put some vinegar on it, wiper the blades over and over again, has always seen me through dodgy wiper blades ThumbsUp

WD40 is oil based (fish oil in fact) and i'd imaging it would just create a smeary mess... i know i've got in on my fingers -> window before and it's like someone has put a greasy head on it..
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
That just average vinegar, or white vinegar?
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2013, 10:42 AM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: That just average vinegar, or white vinegar?

I tend to use white vinegar, but I'm sure any (except wine vinegar) would suffice.. Don't drown it, but just enough to coat and wipe across the blades
Thanks given by:
Windolene is a domestic window cleaner in a bottle which is better than most of the gear you get from the likes of AutoGlym (smeary as f*ck) or Megs.

The main ingredient is vinegar but it doesn't have the rank smell.

Like I said before, I don't think you are supposed to liberally coat the wiper blade with WD40 as that would smear things up pretty quick, but they will prolong the life of the rubber...
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2013, 10:57 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: Windolene is a domestic window cleaner in a bottle which is better than most of the gear you get from the likes of AutoGlym (smeary as f*ck) or Megs.

The main ingredient is vinegar but it doesn't have the rank smell.

Like I said before, I don't think you are supposed to liberally coat the wiper blade with WD40 as that would smear things up pretty quick, but they will prolong the life of the rubber...

lmao

I couldn't help but think; when the hell do you smell the window wipers?!
Thanks given by:
What on earth?

I've never used anything other than screenwash to clean wiper blades, exactly as most handbooks tell you to...
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
I'm intrigued now I might give it a go.

The wipers are only poundland jobs anyway.
Thanks given by:
It will smear like f*ck all over your windscreen.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
just use window cleaner spray on the blades and clean with microfibre . . . .they'll start working like new again then .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
least you have wipers! i used my rear one last night and it flew off Sad
Thanks given by:
rear wiper? Maybe it was trying to tell you something. Get it binned already!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I cant believe there is a thread on this? I bought a set of Aero flats from eBay 2 years ago £5 posted and there still going strong. I clean them down every week when I wash the car and then rub down with a little WD40 on a cloth. Look after your wipers and they last.
Thanks given by:
Look after them? You do know all the solvent in WD40 perishes rubber, right?
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2013, 06:55 PM)SRowell Wrote: least you have wipers! i used my rear one last night and it flew off Sad

At least it was your rear, my driver side one flew off the other night scared shi out of me . Good thing it wasn't raining
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ice smashes car windscreen Eeyore 11 2,298 02-01-2017, 12:10 AM
Last Post: toseland
  Windscreen glare. ADV_93 7 1,484 23-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Last Post: r3k1355