phase 2 pressurizing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
phase 2 pressurizing
hi folks small query latley ive noticed a little pressure when i slacken my exspansion tank lid a few weeks ago after a journey you could squeeze the top radiator hose the one running from the thermostat housing there was little to no pressure in it but lately after a journey there is a little pressure in it its not a lot but something that concerning me,

when you unscrew the cork a little bit you can hear the air hiss out for a couple seconds and then stops no water comes out though not loosing any water yet either.

is this a sign of head gasket on its way out? should i decrease boost and fuelling to prolong the life of it im currently running around 21psi.
Thanks given by:
is it pressurizing within minutes of starting the car??

if not, then this is normal...within reason.

its important that the coolant system has pressure in it.

one, but no the only, reason is it raises the boiling point of the coolant...thus allowing the engine to run at 80-100 without it boiling itself.

so you should feel pressure in the rad hoses after a journey and you should NOT take the rad cap off!!...this pressure till its cooled with blow hot coolant all over you!!
something my previous arrogant ass of a boss forgot about!! fail
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2013, 11:26 AM)Piggy1987 Wrote: is it pressurizing within minutes of starting the car??

one, but no the only, reason is it raises the boiling point of the coolant...thus allowing the engine to run at 80-100 without it boiling itself.

so you should feel pressure in the rad hoses after a journey and you should NOT take the rad cap off!!...this pressure till its cooled with blow hot coolant all over you!!

na only seems to happen after a long journey these cold mornings id go out start the car and let it sit and idle for half an hour and go have a brew when i come out to check it the pipe is still soft.

lol i never fully unscrew the top just a little to alloy the pressure out my car runs so cold i dont think it be hot enough to burn you anyway usually sits at 60c goes to bout 70c if im boosting a lot.

thanks for clearing that up though has takin a weight off my mind Smile
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2013, 11:43 AM)jpderv Wrote:
(27-02-2013, 11:26 AM)Piggy1987 Wrote: is it pressurizing within minutes of starting the car??

na only seems to happen after a long journey these cold mornings id go out start the car and let it sit and idle for half an hour and go have a brew when i come out to check it the pipe is still soft.

lol i never fully unscrew the top just a little to alloy the pressure out my car runs so cold i dont think it be hot enough to burn you anyway usually sits at 60c goes to bout 70c if im boosting a lot.

your Dtub should run at around 80 mate when up to temp, if it's much cooler then that chances are your stat is faulty . .i'd change it . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2013, 11:43 AM)jpderv Wrote:

the pressure is good, unless it is over heating/over pressurising, then you need it, as explained.

And yes, it will burn you. Badly.
My boss had 2nd degree burns on his face, and it hadnt even got up to full running temp.

FYI, its a terrible thing to let your car warm up on a cold morning by letting it idle!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
FYI, its a terrible thing to let your car warm up on a cold morning by letting it idle!

really? how come?

never thought on the stat yeah def not heating up well it will if you let it sit and idle.
Thanks given by:
long thread on here somewhere explaining it all...

but get driving as soon as possible...keep off boost for a while as it warms...but get moving!!

all seems well though...apart from low temp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2013, 10:56 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: long thread on here somewhere explaining it all...

but get driving as soon as possible...keep off boost for a while as it warms...but get moving!!

all seems well though...apart from low temp

ook hew ro me but thanks for the heads up Smile
Thanks given by:
Think about it it had H20 (water) in coolant system, what does water do when it warms up...expands Smile it could just be stst sticking slightly if its building in top hose, wouldnt worry too much until its losin water or blowin water out the cap
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Water expands when it freezes, not when it gets hot..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Water also turns to steam when its hot put a sealed container of water in your microwave at home and see what happens
Dragoon Blue Estate in a bit of a State
Thanks given by:
But water mixed with coolant will not turn into steam, one due to the properties of coolant, it raises the boiling temp, but two: also due to the fact the sealed system puts in under pressure, which again raises the boiling temp.

Water alone could start boiling as little as 70degrees, so if such things as coolant and pressure werent right, steam would start occurring in your coolant system...but this would be VERY bad news!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pressurizing coolant rd070707 10 2,523 06-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rd070707